S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Mustang GT Convertible - a little tight are ya?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Nov 15 2007, 05:28 PM
all driver. It was a vert, and an older guy with you say perhaps his son. I'll play on the highway, but I won't play hard with a passenger. And I see no reason to believe you aren't a better driver of your car than the other guy. Either way, what happened happened. My car doesn't do that, but it's not a vert. No 05+ mustang I've ever driven pushed like that. The car is heavier in the front, and unless it had skinny tires up front and big slicks out back, the front won't unweight enough even at full throttle to understeer before the rear steps out. I use this all the time to rotate my car around corners.

I drive my car every day and have taken it to both the drag strip and road course. I'm at least an expert on how my car handles. I've driven several 05+ mustangs, and none exibited the degree of understeer you describe. I suppose you could get it to do it, but it's not a characteristic inherent in the car. You can't really find out how a car handles on a test drive, but you might visit a dealer and see for yourself.
Well, either you own a sport car or you not owning one. I bet Mario Andretti drive a station wagon can still beat you in your mustang on the race track. Still Honda>>Ford.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:29 AM

fanboys > none

realizing the pros and cons of your car over others > all
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mellowyellow999,Nov 16 2007, 08:23 AM
Well, either you own a sport car or you not owning one. I bet Mario Andretti drive a station wagon can still beat you in your mustang on the race track. Still Honda>>Ford.
Same can be said for you and your s2k. So what?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Nov 17 2007, 01:11 PM
Same can be said for you and your s2k. So what?
Great come back.....Still Honda>>>Ford
Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=GT_2003,Nov 15 2007, 05:28 PM]all driver.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=S2Kart,Nov 19 2007, 12:33 PM] I've owned two Mustang GT's - oversteer is horrendous. You can replace lots of the suspension and get the car nuetral, but I'd say its rare to find a GT on the street that is set up that way. The ride quality goes kaput also.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Nov 19 2007, 08:30 PM
with all due respect, you, sir, can't drive.

Any car that makes more torque than the tires can hold will oversteer if those wheels are in the back. It's not limited to Mustangs.

A great many people have complained that a 911 is "tail-happy," or that Vettes are "light in the rear." Anyone who knows their stuff knows those comments stem from inexperience rather than a failing of the car.

Oversteer in a Mustang isn't "horrendous" if the driver has the slightest understanding of throttle modulation, how to use a steering wheel, and the common sense to use quality rubber. Just today I used throttle to rotate my car around a right turn lane to get a cocky Jetta driver off my ass. On the street. In perfect control.

Some cars don't generate enough torque to break traction on a curve, and many confuse that with "good handling," but the fact is, those people just don't know how to drive a car that asks the driver to know how to use the gas pedal as well as the brake.

Owning two mustangs and not figuring out how to drive the car says more about the driver than the car, IMHO. YMMV.

BTW, "getting the car neutral," assuming your diagnosis is correct, would require adding understeer, which brings us to another common complaint from inexperienced drivers regarding the Mustang - too much understeer. Obviously, both parties cannot be corect, so the truth must lie somewhere in the middle. The reality is the car handles quite well for those that know how to drive - predictable, controllable, with more than one way to control the attitude and direction of travel.

A car that can't rotate using the gas in a corner takes a tool from the driver, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it might get around a course quicker by intersecting a weak engine with light weight and a well-developed suspension, but it's not the only way to have fun or get around a course quickly.
That is great SIR you know how to drive your mustang, now go over to the C6Z forums see if you can show them how to drive their cars too. Still Honda>>>>Ford.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any car that makes more torque than the tires can hold will oversteer if those wheels are in the back. It's not limited to Mustangs.

A great many people have complained that a 911 is "tail-happy," or that Vettes are "light in the rear." Anyone who knows their stuff knows those comments stem from inexperience rather than a failing of the car.

Oversteer in a Mustang isn't "horrendous" if the driver has the slightest understanding of throttle modulation, how to use a steering wheel, and the common sense to use quality rubber. Just today I used throttle to rotate my car around a right turn lane to get a cocky Jetta driver off my ass. On the street. In perfect control.
You sir, are not right in the head for trying to compare a mutang to an S2000's far superior handling.

Mutangs handle like minivans - just face it trollboi. Poor weight distribution, unsprung weight, just about every way you can screw up a suspension - Furd strikes again.

Sheesh it could only pull a .84 on the skidpad - thats weak. If they can ever get one past the second cone they might be able to record a slalom time.

The SVT Cobra could only do .85
Even the 2008 Bullit reviewers are complaining about understeer. I'd be pissed if I bought a car like that, but was getting smoked by soccer moms in the turns. I'd probably even go on other boards and start throwing insults around and make lame arguments . . .. oh but wait, that's what you are doing.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Some cars don't generate enough torque to break traction on a curve, and many confuse that with "good handling," but the fact is, those people just don't know how to drive a car that asks the driver to know how to use the gas pedal as well as the brake.

Owning two mustangs and not figuring out how to drive the car says more about the driver than the car, IMHO. YMMV.

BTW, "getting the car neutral," assuming your diagnosis is correct, would require adding understeer, which brings us to another common complaint from inexperienced drivers regarding the Mustang - too much understeer. Obviously, both parties cannot be corect, so the truth must lie somewhere in the middle. The reality is the car handles quite well for those that know how to drive - predictable, controllable, with more than one way to control the attitude and direction of travel.

A car that can't rotate using the gas in a corner takes a tool from the driver, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it might get around a course quicker by intersecting a weak engine with light weight and a well-developed suspension, but it's not the only way to have fun or get around a course quickly.
I agree with you with your understanding and breakdown of the dinamics of handling... a car that has a tendancy towards over or understeer can be driven in a way that is effective and competative for that car.

Having a neutral car like the S though gives more versatility and I think forgivness at the limit. But this also requires more experiance from the driver. S2000 has a full tool shed in the handling department right off the show room floor. Its engine in my opnion is the week link, though no sloutch abviously which is proved time and time again. Its weekness is more noticable as you enhance the raod holding capabilties even further though such as I have. Making more N/A power gets you close, but another 100hp like FI gets you the full race package in my book.

Mustangs leave much to be desired in all deparmentes as far as i'm concerned, My prefrence is having a really well rounded fast sports car that I can afford. Mustangs dont fit that profile to any real degree in my opnion. Plus they are just fugly and hick like. I get way more quality chicks enjoying being seen in my car
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM

way to put that jetta in it's place.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Convertible - a little tight are ya?