S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Mustang GT Convertible - a little tight are ya?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt the mustang 4.6.. vs a 2.2 or 2.0 lit car? errr.. is something not right here..
i can smoke any gt with my honda... in a straight line..
my 07 600rr runs low 11s 1/4 mile.. line up.. lets run..
599cc vs 4.6 lit.... i will pwn thee...

also on a lighter note... if your dad made a company and you're force to resign... hmmmmm something must be up.

i rather get a corvette. chevy>ford at least i'll know they will be around before my warranty expires.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr,Nov 22 2007, 06:41 PM
I can see that any communication with you is a waste of my life. I guess I'll move along now.
Haha... yes, move along now
Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moogleii,Nov 14 2007, 01:38 AM
Screw these boring straight line tests, how would a stock GT compare vs a stock S2k on a road course? I want an agile fighter, not an SR71 that takes 20 miles to do a U-turn.
I couldn't read past the first page(50 posts). I did, however, find this post interesting although it has nothing to do with you all's forum.

The answer to the above is self-evident. The Mustang doesn't have a prayer, even modded, short of a sc'er. Even then, without supporting mods, it would not be a match.

True story. I was at VIR(road course) in February of this year. It was my first time on the 3.25 mile Full course. Long straights and some technical sections. There just so happened to be a GT500 in my run group- NASA Grp II. So already you know we're not solo'd. I have a stroker, a wing, and some suspension.

Because of lap traffic, I am all over the Ford in the corners. We can only pass so many cars on the straights because of needing pont-bys. Again, I'm hounding him in the corners. He points my by. Of course, on the straights he's out of the throttle, but by the turns, I'm pulling away. He closes on the straights as we hit more traffic. After a couple of sections, I point him by. Here's where it gets funny(luckily, not costly). He starts driving his mirrors. I'm up on him in the section at the end of the back straight and he almost loses it. he gathers it back up and heads down the front straight. He's pulling- no doubt, but has to brake much earlier than me and my track pads. Quickly I'm on him. He sees this and almost leaves the track again. Next section... point-by for me.

His car sounded awesome though.

You cannot compare your kills or being killed in straight line encounters to making one's way around a circuit. HP/tq have far less to do with the outcome than skill/prep.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 30 2007, 04:50 PM
The answer to the above is self-evident. The Mustang doesn't have a prayer, even modded, short of a sc'er. Even then, without supporting mods, it would not be a match.
Truth be told
Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by GT_2003,Nov 19 2007, 11:30 PM
with all due respect, you, sir, can't drive.

Any car that makes more torque than the tires can hold will oversteer if those wheels are in the back. It's not limited to Mustangs.

A great many people have complained that a 911 is "tail-happy," or that Vettes are "light in the rear." Anyone who knows their stuff knows those comments stem from inexperience rather than a failing of the car.

Oversteer in a Mustang isn't "horrendous" if the driver has the slightest understanding of throttle modulation, how to use a steering wheel, and the common sense to use quality rubber. Just today I used throttle to rotate my car around a right turn lane to get a cocky Jetta driver off my ass. On the street. In perfect control.

Some cars don't generate enough torque to break traction on a curve, and many confuse that with "good handling," but the fact is, those people just don't know how to drive a car that asks the driver to know how to use the gas pedal as well as the brake.

Owning two mustangs and not figuring out how to drive the car says more about the driver than the car, IMHO. YMMV.

BTW, "getting the car neutral," assuming your diagnosis is correct, would require adding understeer, which brings us to another common complaint from inexperienced drivers regarding the Mustang - too much understeer. Obviously, both parties cannot be corect, so the truth must lie somewhere in the middle. The reality is the car handles quite well for those that know how to drive - predictable, controllable, with more than one way to control the attitude and direction of travel.

A car that can't rotate using the gas in a corner takes a tool from the driver, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it might get around a course quicker by intersecting a weak engine with light weight and a well-developed suspension, but it's not the only way to have fun or get around a course quickly.
This is what happens when Mustangs try and think outside the box.... This video is hilarious!

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos...fb0247637a9.htm
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Slithr,Nov 22 2007, 08:14 PM] I've spent some time on the track with s2ks and it was fairly even.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 PM

Mustangs are cool, but are by no means equals to the S2000 in the handling department, stock for stock. It just doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Dec 1 2007, 02:20 PM
Fairly even? No, the cars are not close to being even. The drivers, on the other hand, may. That, and the fact that most V-8's(not just pickin' on Fords) don't even check their mirrors going down straights, nevermind that I'm all on over them and they're not pulling on me on said straights.

That event at VIR was a Mustang-fest. Personally, I have zero against the car. It's a great car for what it is and at it's price point. Anyway, during the classroom sessions that followed track sessions, I had many drivers in my group remark that I had to have a sc'er.

And here's another point, seldom does a car in lower run groups get a true hot lap, let alone several of them. Everyone's learning curve is different. So while you may think a Mustang is capable of similar lap times, you are wrong. It is lack of driver skill that makes it so when talking about stock-to-moderately prepped cars. Still, I love the sound of real throaty engines. Then again, I'm old.
The s2k is and should be quicker around a track becuase that was it was built for. However, there isn't as much difference as you would think on anything other than a very tight, technical track. The s2k has more potential, but it appeared to me that they were a little tricky and less forgiving at the limit - at least the early examples.

Some folks are classing a Mustang with a minivan in the handling department and that simply isn't true. My experience was that I could pretty much hang with the s2k guys that were in my run group. We were solo'd and running street rubber, for the most part. All I can tell you about is my experience.

No matter what run group I was in there was always someone who was hard to stay with and you never knew what they'd be driving, sometimes a Mini, sometimes an M3, maybe a EVO, maybe an s2k or a Vette or Viper or whatever.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blessed,Dec 1 2007, 12:00 PM
This is what happens when Mustangs try and think outside the box.... This video is hilarious!

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos...fb0247637a9.htm
Well at least it sounded good before it started killing trees . . . .

Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=Slithr,Dec 2 2007, 07:58 AM] The s2k is and should be quicker around a track becuase that was it was built for.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Convertible - a little tight are ya?