S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Modded M3 vs stock 01 Z06.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Ced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by under-rated,Jan 13 2005, 11:59 PM
C6 can be had in the mid 40's... or am I wrong. Not to discredit the high performance of the new Z06. But that's 996 TT territory as far as price.
lower to mid 50s loaded...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Ced

Originally Posted by Pakisho,Jan 14 2005, 12:06 AM
The 996TT is 100k, and the CURRENT Z06 is a good match for it, at 40k. The new Z06 is going to bitchslap the porchse six ways from sunday, or else GM will have failed miserably. It BETTER manhandle the TT, the TT is getting a little long in the tooth now. (Still an awesome car, though).
The Z06 sounds awesome... That's still a lot of money to spend on an American car... But at least everyone won't have one... The outgoing Z06 will probably be a better bargain...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 AM

I find it intresting M3 owners are even comparing their NA M3's to Z06's at all in terms of acceleration.

Little race story.. My friends lightly modded 02 Z06 vs some Dinan S2 E46 M3

One night around 12:30ish am, sitting at a light to turn right onto Los Gatos Blvd, and E46 M3 comes up behind us at a rather fast pace. We turn right as does the M3, and he pulls along side and just paces us. Lane meges to one ahead and the m3 bolts up ahead of us. Near the end of the street, when it becomes eats main street, he signals us to pull over to the side of the road, so we pull along side of him.

Dialog is as close as I can remember and may not be exact.

Him: "Wanna drag them?"

My friend says he would rather do a freeway roll as traction is limited, and his car is too loud to be gunning it threw the city.

My friend : "That's a nice Dinan badge, what did it take to get that?"

Him : In the most snobby voice I have ever herd.." seventeen THOUSAND dollars.." "Stage 2"

He asks what is done to the Z06 and we gladly tell him. Corsa Ti exhaust, long tube headers, intake, and that's it.

Sooo we head off to the freeway entrance with us ahead of him and we wait for him to come along in second gear. As he pulls along we notice he is revving the shit out of his car and he asks us to slow down so we can do a first gear roll instead of second, we do as he asks.

So both rolling along in first gear ( don't remember what speed it was at exactly ) he honks the horn 3 times and we go.

We nail the gas, brake taction, let off, get back on it, and by the end of first we are easily over 1 bus ahead ( thats right, a bus length, not a car length ). By 120 something mph we are over 4-5 bus lengths ahead of him. We were absolutely shocked, and disappointed with the M3's performance as well.

We take the next exit and pull over again.

Him : "There is no way those are all of your mods!"

We explain that it was.

Him : Again in a snobby voice.. " Just so you know...This car is 361HP"

we chat a bit and they leave probably still thinking we had "nos" or something

I later go online to dinans site to find out S2 is infact 17 grand, and 10kish of it is motor work. I also find out that its 361 FLYWHEEL HP which is absolutely ridiculous IMO for that much money.

So..Maybe the guy could not drive at all or something, but even so, it was a WHOOPING!

Even with the minimal mods, his car dynoed at about 385rwhp which is about 24 more hp at the wheels then he had at the flywheel, with a much lighter car so we expected to win, BUT DAMN!

I can already feel the flames form M3 guys coming, or the "BS flag" from those who choose not to believe it, but whatever, that is what happened and nothing will change it.

I just wish I had my video camera for that one

EDIT : I have no reason to try and put down the M3, I do not own one, nor do I own a vette.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Ced

[QUOTE=JsnS2k,Jan 14 2005, 11:30 AM] I find it intresting M3 owners are even comparing their NA M3's to Z06's at all in terms of acceleration.

Little race story.. My friends lightly modded
Old 01-14-2005, 09:36 AM

While what you say is very true, 10grand in motor work alone for 28 HP is still ridiculous.

And like you said, sure german motors are MUCH more efficient, but doesn't change which cars faster between the two
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Ced

Originally Posted by JsnS2k,Jan 14 2005, 12:36 PM
While what you say is very true, 10grand in motor work alone for 28 HP is still ridiculous.

And like you said, sure german motors are MUCH more efficient, but doesn't change which cars faster between the two
only if you are counting...

The M3 is fast, but it's not how fast you can go, but it how you arrive

Don't let me get the SL65 (German car) on you.... 700 ft torque, 600+ hp...and even a smaller engine...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 AM

For $200,000 ( Not that it isn't a bad ass car! ) And that smaller engine has something called boost..
Old 01-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Ced

Originally Posted by JsnS2k,Jan 14 2005, 12:50 PM
For $200,000 ( Not that it isn't a bad ass car! ) And that smaller engine has something called boost..
you got to pay to play... Boost is ok
Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JsnS2k,Jan 14 2005, 12:30 PM
I later go online to dinans site to find out S2 is infact 17 grand, and 10kish of it is motor work. I also find out that its 361 FLYWHEEL HP which is absolutely ridiculous IMO for that much money.
$17K for 28 hp...at the crank??

If that's true, then I guess there really is truth to the saying that there's a fool born every minute...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

um, German cars are not more efficient. They cost more, and get more power out of smaller displacements, but that hardly means they are more efficient. Quite the opposite, in fact. Efficient is getting the max amount of power out of a given volume of fuel, and as far as that goes, the LS engines are superior to German offerings, especially when mounted in a lighter car like a Corvette. And getting more power out of an LS engine is not a high-buck affair. Just because GM doesn't build the living piss out of the engine doesn't mean the engine is incapable of higher output. Face it, American V8s are superior to European offerings on pretty much every level - cost, efficiency, modability, etc.

Quick Reply: Modded M3 vs stock 01 Z06.