S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Modded Cobra / Modded Firebird / Assorted Others...

Old 12-09-2001, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded Cobra / Modded Firebird / Assorted Others...

Modded Cobra
Lightly modded, but still, modded. From what I understand it was a 98 Cobra with a gear and an exhaust. We rolled with the guy (cool guy) most of the night, it wasn't until the drive home that we actually had a chance to run him. This was a race that came as a result of the \"Fake (?) Seleen...\" post. 50-something punch, dropped to 2nd gear, 3rd gear - got a car, 4th gear, another car or so...think he let off after that. We ran a few more times after that, starting at different MPH, same results. Zerin walked both of us on the last run...punk.

Modded Firebird
We were all chillin' at Starbucks when Zerin asked if I wanted to hit the highway with him to play with a WS6. "Sure". I guess the guy had approached Zerin. Zerin's running on some race gas, which his chip is tuned for, and he was running well all night. So the three of us get on the highway, and spread out. We're cruisin' at 70 until our noses are even. I wait for the Firebird to go. He floors it, I floor it, Zerin floors it. 3rd gear...4th gear...all I see is the Firebird slipping out of my passenger window...then I couldn't see him as he was in my blind spot. Couldn't see Zerin at all. Finishing 4th gear...5th gear...Zerin comes WALKING up from my back bumper to my front bumper...6th gear...Zerin pulls off and exits. I get off at the next exit, pull a U, get back on the highway and I see the Firebird come up behind me, quickly. I get over, the dude rolls up, rolls his window down, "Get on the feeder!" I guess he wasn't very happy with the result. So we roll up on a red light. The firebird stops about 20 feet short and starts lighting up the tires. I'm all . I'm honking at the guy while he's doing his full drag warm-up. He rolls the window down. "I'm not launching...<explanation of differential history goes here>...I'll go from 20." The guy responds, "Ok, from 20." We roll out, I see 18 MPH (slow speedometer) and the guy guns it, I do too. We stayed dead even all the way through 3rd gear, once into fourth I gained a half car or so...then shut it down as we came upon traffic. The dude said he had a "Y-pipe and exhaust". He also said the car can run 12.8, but that since he had 2 dudes in the car, so it was running at about 13.1 (which seems completely reasonable).

Assorted Others
Mustang 5.0. He had no idea what he had rolled up upon when he saw two S4s (each chipped and one K04'ed) and two S2000s rolling along. Everyone but Moyopoyo (who didn't run him) gave the guy a beating, always fun. Modded ITR. Dude came up on my butt while I we were cruising, I could tell he wanted some. There's a very tight s-turn ahead. I go through it like normal, which means I'm totally powersliding and acting like I'm at the track. Dude all but dissapeared in my rearview mirror. Another S-turn ahead, I slowed down so he could catch up. He gets up next to me, he got dropped from about 50...only took 2nd gear to get a car-length. Then at the red light, I guess he thought he had a better chance from a roll out. Dude punched it at 10, I punched, I shifted at 8,000, tires breaking loose into 2nd...gone...enjoy the view. It was a crazy fun night...perfect weather, 40-50 degrees.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:07 PM

A great story, Wes.
I always enjoy your story.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:44 PM

haha, that was a pretty fun night. zerin said he hit 165, and winson and i were all like
oh yeah, winson said he had a lot of fun too. the reason i wasn't going so fast was because other than the Cobra, i was the only one without a charger (super or turbo) of some sort.

...any yesterday when the guy with the blue S4 showed me up, i realized how fast they really are. i like them a lot now.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:04 PM

165mph is almost as fun as a full tank of 104!!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 07:25 AM

Man, sound like your guys are having a blast. Why is it so boring where i live.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:36 AM

The street scene is pretty crazy here. Not sure what it's like in other cities, but it's pretty common to see a gas station with 50+ modded cars in it on a Saturday night. Usually because the cops just ran us out of the local drag spot. There are a good 5-6 drag spots that we could hit in a single night, looking for action. All the roads inbetween have racers just waiting for a run...it's crazy. Then there's Westheimer, if you want to be seen...then you can roll up and down Westheimer and see just about any kind of modded car you want.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:49 PM

Good kills Wes. Seems like you gto a ton of places that you can run at in Houston. The cops over here have pretty much closed down all of the local spots. We got to go way out to Riverside and places far from LA to have a good time.