S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Me vs vette....

Old 08-06-2002, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Me vs vette....

I haven't had any worthwhile encounters until just recently.

A greenish blueish looking vette. Older. Not like stingray old, but an older vette. I don't know vettes so I have no idea what year.

I was leaving work and he was zipping through our parking lot. I followed (waiting for the engine to warm up) and eventually got behind him at a light. He took off, chirped the tires, and so I somewhat stayed behind him. (I try not to "race" people when I am behind them)

I get into the lane next to him, and he takes this as an "I am passing you" type move. So he floors it. I floor it. 50mph in 2nd gear. We go. I am slightly behind him, but staying even with him. I gain no ground on him until the end of 3rd. By the time I do the 3-4 shift, I have about a foot on him. Into 4th and I pull a bit more... shutdown at about 105mph.

I slow down and turn into a parking lot to turn around. (I went out of my way to "race" him) He pulls in and immediately goes....

Him: Damn what you got in that thing?
Me: 2.0 liter 4 cylinder.
Him: Wow, that thing must be BUILT to hell!
Me: No, it's stock.
Him: .....??? Naw, come on, what you got. turbo? NOS?? (a fast and furious casualty, it seems)
Me: No, dude it's stock.
Him: Man, dont be lyin, a 4 cylinder can't beat a vette.
Me: I'm not lying. Go ahead and look under my hood.
Him: <frustrated> whatever.

And he peels off. Okaaaaayyy... At first I thought he was gonna be cool, but I think he ended up pissed. I assume he just got the vette used, cuz it didnt' even have plates on it yet.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice =). Watch out people are going to start saying it wuz driver error and an S2000 cant beat a Vette. I dont know why but it seems like a lot of members dont have any faith in the S2000? I believe it though the S2000 is an amazing vehicle. Good job.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by supwithyou
Nice =). Watch out people are going to start saying it wuz driver error and an S2000 cant beat a Vette. I dont know why but it seems like a lot of members dont have any faith in the S2000? I believe it though the S2000 is an amazing vehicle. Good job.

Believe me I've told Wis several times that he can't beat a properly driven LS1 powered vehicle. He and I have covered this ground and he agrees with me.

Wis - nice kill on the Vette - aintmadatcha
Old 08-06-2002, 08:14 PM

what about an 80s vette...they seem pretty slow...compared to the new vettes out there...what kind of times can be expected from an 80s vette?

i destroyed an old 70s vette the other day from a roll, but it looked kinda beat up, so it was no real good test...i have always wondered what to expect from 70s and 80s vettes...
Old 08-06-2002, 08:29 PM

Watch out people are going to start saying it wuz driver error and an S2000 cant beat a Vette.
LS1 vettes. That what they are referring to. I don't see any problem with a S2000 beating an older vette.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:26 AM

the guys seems to have been the "american muscle got big engine....me tough, it fast...har har har" attitude. i hate that. seems he wanted you to "verify" that you put tons of money in your car to allow you to "HANG" with his new/old purchase. he apparently knew nothing about the S2000 or about his car in comparison to newer technology. you should have said "thinking about a c5 or z06 now huh?" hahaha
Old 08-07-2002, 04:39 AM

And some of you seem to have that "Honda told me it's high tech so it must be able to hang with cars with a 100 more horsepower. W3rd." attitude. We are just pointing out that new vettes with any kind of capable driver do not lose to anywhere near stock S2000's. Beating a C4 isn't nearly as improbable.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:05 AM

Some of the C4s are very beatable; of course, many are not.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by supwithyou
not every vette is a C5, don't be dumb.
A c5 will beat an S2000 everytime if both drivers are of the same skill level, and neither jumps early.
What part of 350 HP vs 240HP don't people get?
Old 08-07-2002, 11:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glen5839
[B]

Believe me I've told Wis several times that he can't beat a properly driven LS1 powered vehicle.

Quick Reply: Me vs vette....