S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Me VS. Focus SVT

Old 05-19-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me VS. Focus SVT

Nothing earth-shaking here...but a race real enthusiasts might enjoy

Both stock (or at least the Focus looked like it was).

Yep, had a run in with a Focus SVT today.

It started when this Hyundai Elantra GLS decided he was going to drive spirited, and as I see him start to pass me, I halfed the throttle and kept up with him. As the Elantra saw me do so, he buried the gas pedal, to show up the stock Sentra that was trying to keep up. Well, most of you can guess what happened after. I downshifted to third, and left him about 5 cars behind. It would have been more, but there was a light up ahead.

At this three-lane light, there was one car sitting in the middle lane...you guessed it...it was the SVT.

I wasn't going to try and provoke him, seeing it was an older-looking guy (about mid-30's), and I didn't think he'd appreciate being harassed by some punk.

Well, the Hyundai did the instigating for me. With the Hyundai's only mod(I think)--a muffler screaming, the Hyundai was sitting there revving his heart out. To my surprise, I hear the Focus rev back, and I thought: "it's ON!!" He must've seen our "spirited driving" from his rear-view.

As the light turns, I don't exactly launch...I just got on the gas hard as soon as I engaged the clutch. The Focus, probably thinking that the Hyundai and the stock Sentra didn't deserve a launch, took-off pretty mildly himself. At the end of first gear, realizing my car wasn't a joke, I heard the SVT speed-shift into second. When he did this, his front bumper was at about my right-rear quarter-panel. After the speed-shift, he jumped to about my passenger door, which was when I did a little speed-shifting of my own, which brought him back to where he was. Me and the Focus raced to about the top of third, with me pulling ahead by about a car-and-a-half.

We both forgot about the Hyundai...and when I glanced in the rear-view after me and the Focus both let-off, here comes the Hyundai, roaring with all it's might...giving us a ricer fly-by from about ten cars back.

I tried to give a thumbs-up to the Focus guy for being so cool, but he stayed behind me and wouldn't look at me until he turned-off about a mile after the race.

For those of you that don't know, I have a 1992 Sentra SE-R, bone-stock, with no options (lighter, somewhat).

P.S.

My buddy's shop here in Phoenix already has a FWD SR20DET in his shop he's selling to me for an awesome price...I'll be looking forward to finally challenging his(and anybody local's) S2K soon(it would have taken me a while to do that in my Civic).
Old 05-19-2003, 03:38 PM

Although those SE-R's looks somewhat plain and bland (no offense) they can really lay some smack down with bolt-on's. I've seen a guy run mid 14's with bolt on's. Good kill. Thumbs down for the FocASS for being a sore loser. And two thumbs up for the Hyundai for winning the race coming from behind!

BTW, did yours come with LSD? I know some did, and some didn't.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:01 PM

when you get your SR it will feel like you have a new car...trust me when i went SR i still cant help buy smile =) hope they know how to wire everything tho
Old 05-19-2003, 04:26 PM

you should go VG30DETT

very nice write-up :thumnup:
Old 05-19-2003, 05:42 PM

thumnup alex
Old 05-19-2003, 05:48 PM

and yes if you are wondering im sooooo bored right now !
Old 05-20-2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Paul55100
Although those SE-R's looks somewhat plain and bland
I've nicknamed my car the Red Refrigerator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul55100
BTW, did yours come with LSD?