S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Me vs 350Z vs RSX-S (highway hijinks)

Old 10-29-2002, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Me vs 350Z vs RSX-S (highway hijinks)

I was on my way to work tonight, and was merging on the freeway. Shortly after jumping up to speed, I saw some bright lights coming from behind me, in the left lane. I then saw another set of lights move next to those lights, and watched as they came closer. I moved to the right lane, and as the cars went by, I noticed a 350Z (silver) in the left lane, and a blue-ish RSX-S in the middle lane.

I moved in behind the RSX, and joined their dance, as they paced each other in traffic, waiting for the chance to run. Eventually the chance came, and by this time I was in front of them again. I moved over to the right lane as the two cars came up next to me. I downshifted to 3rd (at 80mph) and the RSX took off. Me and the Z were a bit behind on the jump, and the RSX got a length right away. Me and the Z made quick work of the RSX, though he wasn't far behind. I pulled slightly on the Z as I went into 4th. Around 100mph the Z started to pull ever so slightly. AS we neared 110mph, he started to pull more. The RSX was several lengths back by this time.

The Z shut down at about 115mph. My front wheels were at his back wheels.

We merged over to go around traffic and slow down. It was now a 2 lane highway. The RSX went by, pulled ahead and we went around the slow people in the left lane. (we were doing 70 in a 65 and we passed them like they were standing still.. read: Get the hell out of the left lane!)

After then moving around a car in the right lane, the RSX took off... followed by the Z and then by me. (from about 75mph) Me and the Z moved into the right lane, and passed the RSX. The Z was slowly pulling away again as we got close to 120mph. Since this was the same section of freeway I once did 150+ on, I was hoping he'd keep going.

Go he did. With no traffic and nice flat space, here was a time for some top end power.

When I moved over to the left lane the Z had about 2 cars on me at 120mph. I went into 5th and at 125mph I started to gain some ground back! (I was surprised at this too) I slowly started to reel him in, and by 140mph I had narrowed his lead to less than a length. But then he started to pull again. He shut down at 146mph (on my speedo) and he was a car length ahead, give or take a foot.

Wow, what a rush. I moved over to get off my exit, and the Z slowed down so he could get next to me and give me a thumbs up. The RSX had well given up by this time.

The Z has more top end power than our cars, that's for sure. Though there's that little bit of 5th gear sweet spot for us that I gained a bit of ground.

Though this Z could not be fully broken into full power yet, only time will tell how close we will stay to the Z's top end power.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice runs! Do you know what model 350Z it was? Or does that even matter?
Old 10-30-2002, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Thizzle
[B]Nice runs!
Old 10-30-2002, 02:56 AM

I'm not sure of the trim level. But I'm not sure how much it matters as each car has the same enginge. Though the higher models may have larger wheels and a little more weight...??

I admit, even I am somewhat skeptical as to the outcome of what happened beyond 120mph. I'm wondering if his car was fully broken in yet, or he was short shifting or what....
Old 10-30-2002, 03:02 AM

all models for the Z all have the same engines.. so I really don't think it matters.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:35 AM

Nice runs! The only thing that could have made those races more complete would have been some standing starts.
I thought the Z would pull a little harder towards the triple digit speeds due to the s2k's poor aerodynamics, but like you said, maybe it wasn't fully broken in yet.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by smccurry
[B]Nice runs! The only thing that could have made those races more complete would have been some standing starts.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:01 AM
Sev

Nice runs, could have been not broken-in like you said, the poor aerodynamics of the s2000 don't help it at those speeds against cars like the Z... Also, weight becomes less of a factor at those speeds as you all know, so its 240 HP/not so aerodynamic car vs a 287 HP/ very aerodynamic car... My guess is that the frontal area on the Z is larger but it wouldn't be enough to make up the difference of 0.29(track) 0.30 (touring, base) vs the 0.38 that we have.... And even if it did, we would be out HP'd big time....

The only remaining factor would be gearing, and assuming that nissan didn't mess up there, over 100 mph, a Z will pull away from a stock s2000 10 times out of 10.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:04 AM
Sev

One more thing, could it have been an automatic?
Old 10-30-2002, 06:15 AM

oooh. you know I didn't even think of that. I was thinking like our S2000's... stick only.

But I'm not so sure... I would think since the manual Z is so close in speed to an S2k, that an Auto Z would get pulled on pretty good... even above 100mph.

And the way the car sounded when he downshifted, I really do think it was manual.

Quick Reply: Me vs 350Z vs RSX-S (highway hijinks)