S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Me (Jeep Wrangler) vs. Toyota Camry vs. Concrete wall

Old 11-10-2002, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's not a race, but I was driving this morning with my wife and it was raining. I was in the middle lane of I-94 when a Camry goes to speed around us and starts to hydro-plane. I had the choice to "T-bone" her car or try to break and risk the inevitable. I started to spin and was heading for the concrete wall on the bridge trusses. I was able to maneuver the Jeep to hit head on at 55 mph. Thank God I didn't hit either side or there would have been head injuries. Both front wheels folded up under the front, both airbags went off, and we were wearing our seatbelts. The Jeep saved our lives. We both walked away with only bruised shins and some minor airbag cuts. My wife later went to the hospital for one cracked rib. The other driver skidded into the grass without a scratch to her or her car. The Police found that I was not at fault, but didn't even ticket the other driver. The said, "If I had hit her they would have ticketed her" ????????? The girl even admitted, in front of the Police, that she was in a hurry and late for work!!!! Needless to say, after one long day I am alive for another. Now on to fight with in insurance companies. I don't think the car is repairable. I liked my Jeep and will miss it.

You know what chaps my ass the most is that I was doing nothing wrong and driving the speed limit. Now I have to spend time and money to deal with another person's carelessness. I guess by definition, shit happens.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:56 PM

i'm really sorry to hear what happened to you. sometimes the justice system is really screwed up. i'm glad that you and your wife are okay.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:43 PM

I don't know you but I am very glad you and your wife are allright, Life is very precious and can be very short - Enjoy it!!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 05:30 PM

So if you're driving safely under the speed limit on the road approaching an intersection, someone wrongfully pulls out on you and leaves you with two options:
1. Swerve to miss but collide with wall/ object; or
2. Collide with the car that is in the wrong and place both parties lives at risk.

Now either way you look at this situation the police are being completely irresponsible by allowing you to be disadvantaged by choosing the safer selfless act of losing control to avoid a vehicle in the wrong. This treatment is going to influence people in their risk avoidance decisions when they are driving because they are being forced to consider whether they will have to pay for damages even though they are not at fault at all!

What would the policeman ruling be if you were to have collided with another car as a result of swerving?

Although its not going to help you pay the bill it was decent that she actually stopped. I've heard too many stories about similar situations only the party in the wrong fled the scene to avoid any blame being placed on them.

IMO this leaving the scene of an accident that you have caused should and has in some cases been classed as attempted murder.

Have you enquired as to whether you stand a chance at suing(?) her? If that isn't reckless driving what is?

Good luck you have my sympathy.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Austblue
[B]So if you're driving safely under the speed limit on the road approaching an intersection, someone wrongfully pulls out on you and leaves you with two options:
1. Swerve to miss but collide with wall/ object; or
2. Collide with the car that is in the wrong and place both parties lives at risk.

Now either way you look at this situation the police are being completely irresponsible by allowing you to be disadvantaged by choosing the safer selfless act of losing control to avoid a vehicle in the wrong. This treatment is going to influence people in their risk avoidance decisions when they are driving because they are being forced to consider whether they will have to pay for damages even though they are not at fault at all!
Old 11-12-2002, 06:30 AM

Hey as long as your both ok for the most part, this is why people should always always always wear seatbelts, chances are if either of you hadnt been wearing them, this story may have never been told. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:15 AM

I'm sorry to hear all of this.

Obstacles help us all prove our strengths. Dealing with this swiftly and proudly will leave you better off than you were before.