S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

KraftWerks Vs 04 Cobra

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default KraftWerks Vs 04 Cobra

I want to share with you guys an exciting little encounter I had on my way home from work. I wanted to point out that this was not exactly a fair race, it was more of a quick run between two hot cars.

On my way home I saw a 04 Mustang pull out in front of me a few blocks ahead. I could hear his exhaust growl when he got on it, so I immediatly knew he'd flex his muscles if I pulled along side, so i sped up and caught up with him at the next light. As I pull aside, I notice its a Cobra and think to myself "hehe good. Its supercharged" They however take no notice of my S2k as I sit at the light next to them. I see that the driver has two passengers.

Once we get going I stay behind, then slowly pull along side... I hear the driver let the revs hang as he waits for me "make the mistake to try and run him" (thoughts which I am sure the unsuspecting driver is thinking at that very moment) So I drop it from 3rd to 2nd and rev match, and He Immediatly Stomps the throttle and the blown Cobra starts to walk away, I floor it only a moment later, I know he's gotten the jump but i hope i can reel him, as he is only a car and half ahead.

His car suprised me, as it had much better initial power than I, but he then misses a gear and I catch up and we are now neck and neck. I proceed to pull to about 105 and leave two cars between us.

They are surprised and cant say enough about how fast my s2k is. They ask if i am turbo and I say "supercharged." They tell me the Cobra has "a blower, tune and something i couldnt understand" (i think it was either a pully or test pipes?)

Either way it was a fun run, though not exactly fair. I hope their V8 with double the displacement and a blower would be enough to make up for the extra weight to make it more fair....but until next time, we'll never know.

Cliff notes:

06 Kraftwerks S/C 10psi Pulls 2 car lengths. (stock exhaust)
04 Cobra S/C tune, pully/testpipes 2 passengers (WHP unknown)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whp number please!! Good run!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Good run! U won b.c of driver error. My friend has a 03 cobra. Pulley and tune and header back he put down 650 at wheel. If he didn't miss a gear it woulda been a better race
Old 08-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

those cobras are fun! you never know what your gonna race, a stock one, or one with lots and lots of power! Good run!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:07 AM

He probably said he had an H-pipe.

Good run i can't wait until Kraftwerk's gets a CARB exemption.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by JPH3,Aug 17 2008, 11:07 AM
He probably said he had an H-pipe.

Good run i can't wait until Kraftwerk's gets a CARB exemption.
It sometimes takes years to get that.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546,Aug 17 2008, 09:35 AM
Good run! U won b.c of driver error. My friend has a 03 cobra. Pulley and tune and header back he put down 650 at wheel. If he didn't miss a gear it woulda been a better race
sorry.. a eaton supercharger with pulley and tune and full exhaust WILL NOT come even close to 650 hp to the ground.. you need a twin screw supercharger (Kenne Bell or Whipple) pushing 20 psi to get those type of numbers..
Old 08-17-2008, 03:22 PM

No way in hell...stock blower will only support about 500RWHP and usually needs porting to get much over that. Just an upper pulley, chip and x-pipe back exhaust should put him in the 450-475RWHP. To obtain 650 RWHP he would need an aftermarket blower like a KB.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wish i had more details about his car. And i wish we could have gone @ the same time instead of him jumping the gun, but hey its ok. He evened it out by missing a gear, and I am sure it would have ended differently if he was alone in the car like I was.

Either way, it was exciting and I am sure he makes LOTS of power. Of course for the Nay-Sayers, power to weight comes into play. 3040 w/driver & 360whp (8.4) vs est 4200lbs w/passengers & 465whp (9) = Bascially a drivers race, with a slight advantage to myself.

Had he not missed a gear and had we both started at the same time I think it would have been a really close race, probably neck to neck.

Quick Reply: KraftWerks Vs 04 Cobra