S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Killed a LT-1 Camaro Z28!!

Old 04-01-2002, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glen5839
[B]As Foo said the rear end is a stock GM part.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Cornfish
I used to pull in the low 13's with my '97 SS camaro.. It was the 30th Anniversary one though.. A little more hp than the Z28..

The 30th anniversary package was purely cosmetic. There were no hp gains, it was hugger orange strips, white leather and white rims, that's it (for the most part).

Chris
1997 Z28
Old 04-02-2002, 02:26 PM

Displacement is where you get the torque curve from, not because the LS1 is a great motor. In fact, stock for stock, LT1s produce more torque than an LS1. That is why back in 97-98, we were all saying that "the new motor is sneaky fast, my LT1 "feels" ALOT faster". The torque of the LS1 didn't/doesn't throw you back in the seat the way the LT1 does. The LS1 pulls to the rev limiter where a LT1 falls on it's face over ~5200 rpm. As far as bone stock off the showroom floor, I don't know if it gets much better than a LS1. If you want to highly modify a motor, (aside from a Dart or Bow Tie block) I'd say the LT1 is one of the best. LS1s have a tendancy to blow up(specifically lift heads off the block) with nitrous or blowers more so than LT1s even though the internals seem to stand up to abuse better. The LS1 has 15 head bolts but really only 10 of them are doing anything. On top of that, aluminum into aluminum doesn't make the strongest bond. Bottom line, both the LT1 and LS1 have their place in my heart.

A 5.7 liter DOHC motor weighs WAY too much to be effective. Look at the LT5, it was a great motor that made lots of power but had a VERY short life span. The only car you could fit it into was a C4 Vette and even then it f-ed up the balance of the car. That is why pushrods are around to stay with American V8 iron (or aluminum as the case may be).

Chris
-1997 Z28 (LT1), live in girlfriend has a '99 T/A (LS1), guess I have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,291 Likes on 996 Posts

Damn, tight.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by glen5839
Nice kill.

Video of LS1 power.
Thanks Glen..
(I know I would find you here too. haha)
I know LS1 C5 is verrrrrrry fast.
I raced a LT1 Camaro not a LS1 Corvette.

If I raced a LS1 corvette 99 outa 100 times I know I will get my butt whooped..
(Does this make you happy?)

Check the topic please..... "Killed a LT-1 Camaro Z28!"
You don't have to try to brain wash us LS1 is ffffffffffaster than our S2k
I dun go to Cavalier forums or Escrot GT forums and start "S2k Vtec power"
Old 04-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by peterpan

Thanks Glen..
(I know I would find you here too. haha)
I know LS1 C5 is verrrrrrry fast.
I raced a LT1 Camaro not a LS1 Corvette.

If I raced a LS1 corvette 99 outa 100 times I know I will get my butt whooped..
(Does this make you happy?)

Check the topic please..... "Killed a LT-1 Camaro Z28!"
You don't have to try to brain wash us LS1 is ffffffffffaster than our S2k
I dun go to Cavalier forums or Escrot GT forums and start "S2k Vtec power"
Way to dig up old posts and stir the pot, but it's cool by me as I love stirring the pot.

What you fail to realize is that a LS1 Camaro and a LS1 Corvette are virtually identical animals in the 1/4 mile.

If you follow the conversation you notice that I was not the one who brought up the LS1. All I did was respond with some information.

You will note please that the first words out of my mouth were NICE KILL.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glen5839
[B]

Way to dig up old posts and stir the pot, but it's cool by me as I love stirring the pot.

What you fail to realize is that a LS1 Camaro and a LS1 Corvette are virtually identical animals in the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:31 AM

man, you just keep diggin a hole...

I know you think that your S2000 is faster than LS1's. That's fine. I can deal with that. It doesn't make me any slower. I know though that 95% of this board knows the truth. Just understand that you will have to find a poor driver in an LS1 to beat him/her.

This is a very simple equation...

LS1 - Average 1/4 mile time is very low 13's stock with good drivers getting high 12's.

S2000 - Average 1/4 mile is very very low 14's with good drivers getting high 13's stock.

That's a full second average difference. It's probably about an 8mph trap difference too.

Now if you want to talk engine dynamics we can. I saw the thread about the big block LS1. That was kinda funny I'll get into the cubes vs. vtec war with you You just might want to go and do some research before you start arguing with me about it because I know what I'm talking about.

Take care
Old 04-15-2002, 06:37 AM
Banned

Originally posted by peterpan

so your Vette's got a Camaro engine inside?
LOL I am enlightened!

So if a S2k can beat a LS1 Camaro then she/he can also beat a C5 Vette?
Is that what yo tellin me?
Some S2k owners here seem to hang pretty well or even beat LS1 Camaros
You are well on your way to being the biggest MORON on this entire board!!!

Here's what you fail to understand ... the S2K can beat a POORLY driven ANYTHING you freaking loser!!!! You do understand the concept of ANYTHING right??? That includes Vettes, Vipers, Ferraris and even Top Fuel dragsters!!! Am I getting through to your stupid ass??

Taking pride in beating a prroly driven vehicle is the typical ricer mentality and you sir seem to have it in SPADES!!! There is not an S owner on this board who will race me behind the wheel of a stock LS1 Camaro for cash. All I ask is that they be behind the wheel of a stock S. Do you think you can do it??? I'll give you everything I own if you can. House, car, stocks ... all of it can be yours. All you have to do is put up cash or collateral of equal value and then beat me in a race. Seems really simple right. Step on up to the plate bad ass.

The only reason any S owners here hang with the LS1 Camaros is that the Camaro must be poorly driven. That's all I can assume as the performance numbers with ME driving leave you maybe 1 chance in 1000 to get a victory.

If stupidity were a crime you'd be serving a life sentence.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:55 AM

All this talk and no time slips....

Post some time slips will ya???

I don't know about the rest of you, but that Corvette in that video chewed up and spit out whatever was trying to run with it...

Yes, getting 240 HP, and in my case with my RSX-S 200 HP, from a 4 banger is an incredible feat, but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that my ride is the fastest thing around.

American V8 muscle is engineered to do one thing well.... and that is to chew anything up going in a straight line...

Japanese performance cars have their purpose as well... and that is to piss on American V8 muscle when you actually have to turn the steering wheel...

Racing an s2000 or RSX-S in a straight drag against a muscle car and expecting to win is almost as stupid as a muscle car trying to carve up the twisties with an s2000 or RSX-S.....

If you're real intent with buying the s2000 was to drag race, I'm sorry to tell you, but you bought the wrong car for the job...

How many drag strips do you know of in Japan???

Who wants to drag race anyways, it's a sport requiring little to no skill.... Carving up some twisties, now you're talking... Picking the right line through the turns, heel - toe shifting to power out of the turns in low gear at high RPM's...

In other words, stop trying to use an exacto knife to try and drive a nail into a hunk of wood...

Quick Reply: Killed a LT-1 Camaro Z28!!