S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Killed a LT-1 Camaro Z28!!

Old 02-11-2002, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wisconsin S2k
[B]I understand that a Z06 will beat an S2000 pretty darn good.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:51 AM

A decently driven stock S2000 should not keep up with a decently driven stock C5. A decently driven SC S2000 should be able to at least keep up with a decently driven stock C5, and possibly do better. A decently driven SC S2000 should get beat by a decently modded C5, and any Z06...even with a bad driver in the Z06.

I don't believe in comparing "best times ever in the whole world", because those times are not replicatable amongst either car's community. An S2000 is about as fast as a 14.1 stock, that seems to be the average. Don't give the car more credit than it deserves.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best 1/4 mile times I've actually SEEN around here is around 13.6 at the track. and like I said, we have a LOT of those camaro's out here. And from racing the LS1 camaro's, they are close enough in comparison with the S that it comes down to driver. I have raced two at the track. My times were 13.82 and 13.795, both of which were faster than the two LS1 camaro's I raced. (when I had a 13.795, the camaro I raced had a 13.84... and he was pulling on me SLIGHTLY) Granted not everyone knows how to drive their car, but even so, it's still close enough to come down to driver. Now a C5... I'll just see how many car lengths I lose by, since I know I won't win!

ps. my car is stock except I have potenza S03's.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shizon'00
[B]Also, if you don't understand why GM uses pushrod motors, just ask, don't slam.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:22 PM

From what I can tell, learning about pushrods from howstuffworks.com, my guess is that pushrods allow a V motor to have one camshaft. The advantage of this is not apearant to me, but it seems to be the reason for pushrods.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Wisconsin S2k
My times were 13.82 and 13.795...
I'd love to see the slips, if you have them.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by StrangeDaze
No one's asking... okay, I will. Now, I don't own a Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, or an S2000, so I have no dog in this particular fight, if you know what I mean. But out of curiosity, why does GM use a pushrod motor in the Vette?

Go easy on me. I'm a computer geek, not really a car guy. Thanks in advance.
Well, first off, you have to understand the LS1 was designed for the corvette. Thus, an overhead cam motor is a little out of focus because of the incredibly low amount of engine compartment space (I should know, try installing headers). This also contributes to our very low CD of .29 and decreases frontal area. Engine compartment space is one of the reasons why the C5 aftermarket is so expensive as the people that develop the turbos/superchargers have to do some work to figure out where things are going to go.

Also, pushrods have a very nice flat torque curve. We make power practically everywhere which makes it very nice to get off the line (assuming you can get the power to the ground).

Since the technology is considered old, there is less cost in R&D. Instead of developing an expensive to produce engine with new technology, let's just improve on current technology and make it cheaper with the desired results. This is nice because the LS1 is used in the truck line of GM also (again, reducing costs by sharing parts and chrysler is following in the footsteps with it's V10) not to mention the F-bodies of course.

If you ever read the book "All Corvettes are Red" you will see that there were many options discussed in regarding to the C5. Some you would never think of....

AWD
mid-engine
twin-turbo setup
DOHC

We also get phenomenal gas mileage (again, improving on current technology). I get approx 32 mpg at highway speeds (70mph). I average 22mpg overall during the nice months when I get to do a lot of street racing.

So, what is the negative? The engine itself is lightweight and the car has a 50/50 weight distribution with the tranny mounted in the rear. There just doesn't seem to be a downside to me. Obviously, the potential of these motors is unreal (i.e. MTI, Lingenfelter). The sky is the limit so far. With a daily driven C5 in the low 9's and one about to go into the 8's (no, it's not cheap, but possible), you have to appreciate what GM engineering has done with the old "ancient" pushrod/small block technology.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but there are other LS1 people on here. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]From what I can tell, learning about pushrods from howstuffworks.com, my guess is that pushrods allow a V motor to have one camshaft.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:40 PM

One advantage would be a smaller cylinder head size. They are getting just as much power as the ZR1 motor (LT5 had DOHC if my memory serves me right) with less complexity and cost. LS1 are awesome motors. The beauty of street encounters is not having rules, it is just run what you have!!
Old 02-11-2002, 12:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shizon'00
[B]

Well, first off, you have to understand the LS1 was designed for the corvette.

Quick Reply: Killed a LT-1 Camaro Z28!!