S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Kill: Mustang GT... no kill 01 Mustang Cobra

Old 12-09-2001, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill: Mustang GT... no kill 01 Mustang Cobra

There I was, top down, minding my own business on my way home from work when I notice a older sn95 style mustang GT start to come up behind me fast... I get over and let him start to pass. We were coming up to a pretty sharp turn in the highway (sharp enough to feel decent Gforces at 80 mph) and I threw it into third waiting for him to go... of course, being a typical mustang owner, he didn't gas it around this long sweeper to I put it into fith (to save heat.). He was a car in front of me when the road straightened out and he gunned it... gained 1/2 car before I put it into third... but it didn't matter. Top of third I closed his lead, slammed it into fourth and switched lanes going for the pass... by mid fourth I pulled his front bumper to my door but had to shut down due to traffic. When the traffic opened up again, I was right behind him... he signaled and switched lanes, obviously not wanting anymore. I cruised past him in 6th and the guy didn't even look my way . I guess he didn't like being easily beaten by a 4 cyl... with the top down... with a 150 pound friend in the car..

Next day I raced a 01 mustang cobra vert on the higway. This day was absolutely beautiful.. in the low 70s, which is very uncommon for ohio in Dec. So of course the top was down. Again, with my 150 pound friend in the car. We ran NUMEROUS times from 80 on. All starts had me 3-4 cars behind him for safety reasons. Of the 6 or so runs, twice he put a quick car on me and didn't gain any more from 80-120. Two other runs were dead even. The last run was the best... traffic was starting to open up and he took off. I was a little slow on the takeoff, and shifted to 4th at 85 mph... (bad speed for the s2k)... he pulled 3 cars right away and I thought I was toast... top of fourth gear he had the same lead... but once I put it in fith, it seemed like I gained a little back, maybe 1/2 car once I got close to redline. I wonder if those things have poor gearing once over 120. Don't know.. but I did gain some.. After slowing down, the fun was over... I proceeded to pass him on the right to give him a big thumbs up... of course he didn't look my way at all. It was some old dude, with a tractor baseball cap sitting on top of a not so nicely groomed mullet, with a cig dangling. Hardcore redneck to say the least. Oh well, took my exit and took my car home to rest...
Old 12-09-2001, 07:02 AM

I believe the Cobra's come stock with 3.27 rear end gearing...Kind of surprising you were able to hang with a new Cobra...They are pretty quick stock...Good job though...
Old 12-09-2001, 08:17 AM

Oh yea..I had the airbox cover removed as well...
Old 12-09-2001, 08:56 AM

Where in Ohio are you now? Your avitar says KY. ............are you near Cinci?
Old 12-09-2001, 10:01 AM

Yea, I work in Sharonville Ohio, (10 min N of Cinci)... Florence KY is 15 min South of Cinci.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:21 PM

I got smoked last night..!! by a Mustang GT..!! old model..!! I wonder how..!!
I was doing 85 (3rd gear) I took off half sec earlier than he did, at about 110 mph (still in 4th)
he passed me..!! WOW, I have killed few GT before, this time, that really amaze me..!!
and then, I heard a very different sound from his car compare to the GT I played before..!!
huh... big difference..!! But, hey, I got killed..
Old 12-09-2001, 04:00 PM

Where in Sharonville do you work? I work off of Mosteller- live in West Chester.
Suprised i have not seen you around.
D
Old 12-09-2001, 05:01 PM

I got smoked last night..!! by a Mustang GT..!! old model..!! I wonder how..!!
I was doing 85 (3rd gear) I took off half sec earlier than he did, at about 110 mph (still in 4th)
he passed me..!! WOW, I have killed few GT before, this time, that really amaze me..!!
and then, I heard a very different sound from his car compare to the GT I played before..!!
huh... big difference..!! But, hey, I got killed..

Bro.....Mustangs are very easy to modify.....if it was a stock 5.0, you would have put a hurting on him....obviously he was not stock.

Old 12-09-2001, 05:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LO CACHE
[B]Where in Sharonville do you work?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:27 PM

Dangerous territory...........taking a Honda into UAW territory. Not recommended. I work for Honda in Marysville and UAW is trying to organize.................and yet, they have signs infront of their office to park import cars off the property What hipocrites (sp). All they see is $$$.

Quick Reply: Kill: Mustang GT... no kill 01 Mustang Cobra