S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Guy with stock VR4 who works at a car wash wants to race.......

Old 04-30-2002, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Guy with stock VR4 who works at a car wash wants to race.......

There is a guy who has a black VR4 (stock, from what I can tell under the hood) who wants to race my S2000. He says that he "heard" our cars are really slow and he's been wanting to "stomp" one. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not, but it seemed he was serious about racing. He told me to stop by sometime and we can go (i didn't have time then, as I was on my way to work after stopping at a place next to the car wash)

Soooo, here's the question. Do I run him? I know I'm at a disadvantage since my new tires won't be on until late May so I can't launch good. Assuming my car will be fixed (check my thread in S2000 talk) should I run this guy? I have pulled on a few previous gen VR4's, but that is always a driver's race. This guy is kinda a punk, but I'm not sure how good a driver he'll be. He just got the car a few weeks ago.

Should I run him?
Old 04-30-2002, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run him...
Old 04-30-2002, 11:07 AM

give it a whirl
Old 04-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Sev

If you do run him, run him from a 30 mph roll or if it is from a standstill, make sure it till be at least a 1/4 mile as you won't catch him before all the way at the end because of his AWD launch. Assuming that he knows how to launch...
Old 04-30-2002, 11:11 AM

Run him.

Good thing for him they don't put boost controllers under the hood.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:21 PM

they are faster stock vs stock, but do it for the fun of it
Old 04-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Banned

I'd say if he is so sure about stomping you, ask him how many carlengths you have to be to "stomp" someone. Then if its more than two cars, tell him you'll race him for some cash with the stipulation he must win by however many cars he considers stomping is. Set up a camera guy about a quarter mile away filming straight on only, not following the cars. I'm sure it'd be close, but as good of a driver as you've shown yourself to be, I think you can do it, assuming he doesn't have a boost controller.

Which brings up another point, make sure you ask him if its stock and check the interior for a boost controller. If he's got one, don't even try.

And if you wanna be really sneaky, and he's a dumb punk, have a friend of yours be the camera guy and have him slightly angle the camera away from the starting point.

Blake
Old 04-30-2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by infinitebass
I'd say if he is so sure about stomping you, ask him how many carlengths you have to be to "stomp" someone. Then if its more than two cars, tell him you'll race him for some cash with the stipulation he must win by however many cars he considers stomping is. Set up a camera guy about a quarter mile away filming straight on only, not following the cars. I'm sure it'd be close, but as good of a driver as you've shown yourself to be, I think you can do it, assuming he doesn't have a boost controller.

Which brings up another point, make sure you ask him if its stock and check the interior for a boost controller. If he's got one, don't even try.

And if you wanna be really sneaky, and he's a dumb punk, have a friend of yours be the camera guy and have him slightly angle the camera away from the starting point.

Blake
the guy could always have some shitty boost controller which involved fistank tubes and lock nut valves like me

But Wisconsin checked under the hood and said it looked stock...
Old 04-30-2002, 07:26 PM

His only chance is if he knows how to really drive that thing. I don't think they're that much faster than an S2k. They probably run high 13s low 14s with a large part of that due to the AWD launch.

My feeling is that this guy doesn't know how to drive and is pretty ignorant. Knowledgeable people usually don't talk about "stomping" a car that's known to run similar times to the one they drive.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I've been told the 1st gen VR4's (93-95??) are just a tad slower than a stock S2k. But it's so small a diff, that it's totally driver's race. Yeah, I saw the inside of the car and under the hood. Stock as I can tell. I'm going to stop by tomorrow (since I get my car back tomorrow) and tell him "lets go". If I win, I will have bragging rights, and stopped his ego from ballooning. If I lose, I don't think I'll lose by much (hopefully) and I can argue that a 1-2 length loss (if that) isn't a stomping. Hell, we can do best of 3 maybe....

Quick Reply: Guy with stock VR4 who works at a car wash wants to race.......