S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Got Killed. . . By a CL-S??

Old 08-10-2001, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely. Don't do any launches below 6000 and expect to do any good unless you are racing a yugo that's backing up.

Also remember that the clutch has to pop out not just come out quickly.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:57 PM

I haven't messed around with something as sexy as a s2000 since I learned in my fathers '61 pontiac, which was very hot.

What's the wear & tear on a launch from 6-7k? I'd rather not be replacing a clutch or transmission on a yearly basis. The down time would kill me.

Bill L.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Sev
Guys, i have said this before, For the LOVE of God himself.

No half-ass take-off suggestions, how do you think some people are achieving those high 15 second time slips when the car can do high 14s with an idle launch????????

If you launch the S2k at 3-4k it will be slower then if you do a regular start and you might cause more damage to your clutch and driveline, YOU WILL BOG BADLY and loose lots of time. Either do a 6-7.5k launch or just do a street start, also if you are racing any car that is capable of 14s such as a CL-s you better do a launch or not race a at all, you will not catch one if you do a street start since you cannot do better then it on the 1/4 mile and by racing one, even if you beat it by a car length he will say he was close.......

The solution to not doing too many crazy launches is to race from a roll in 1st gear at 25 mph or in any gear at 6000 RPMs +.
...I knew that Sev will reply to this.....I'm just waiting for you LOL...
Old 08-13-2001, 10:04 AM

Those things are wicked fast - You better commit to smelling some clutch or not go at all. Besides - when its all over you're still in the S2000's cockpit and he's not...
Old 08-13-2001, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, that wasn't cool. Acura CL's have an AWESOME looking interior!! One of the best looking ones out there I think (in black that is). It's a very nice car that gives a great blend of performance and luxury at a killer price. Phew, when that 6sp manual transmission comes out, were gonna have to do more than just make sure we launch above 6k!
Old 08-20-2001, 04:19 AM

First, let me introduce myself as being a CL-S owner. This is my first post here, and this thread caught my eye. I was a moderator at H-A.net for quite a while, so it's safe to say that I'm a fan of Hondas and Acuras, though my wife's GTi is a blast to drive, too. I started checking out S2K's because I would really like to Auto-X, and am checking out several cars prior.

That said, it is really possible for most powerful automatic tranny cars to compete with a fast manual tranny car. It's one of the reasons I bought the CL-S. See, all I have to do is mash the gas - that's it. The car has a kickin' 1-2 shift and it's done. No worries. In a manual, there are all kinds of things you can do wrong. Too much /not enough throttle, wheelspin, slow shift, etc. Not that I advocate driving automatics - manuals are much more of a drivers' car by far. It's just that when I drove the GTi VR6, I noticed this little phenomenon. Ever notice a mom-driven suv keeping up? It's because she only knows 2 throttle positions: Down and Up. Down is fast enough to look like she's racing.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:11 AM

Iceman,

SEV is right. If you are going to do a streetlight race, you better have the balls to launch at 6500-7000.
Our cars are not dragcars that's why it's better to race from a rolling start or at higher rpms. I try to avoid dragraces at all cost but every now and then.... what the hell!!!!

You didn't let anybody down - this has happened to us all at one point or another.

I think you are a little wiser now so keep on truckin' - or S2Kin'

Cheers
Old 08-20-2001, 06:18 AM

Agree you certainly didnt shame the S2K community.

I have a supercharger and still very seldom do high rpm launches. Most of the time it's just not worth chewing up tread or risking the diff to prove to a guy that our car is faster. Admittedly, though every once in a while I cant help it.

BTW - where in Bergen are you?
Old 08-20-2001, 07:54 AM

I posted this before.
I get my butt whipped in my TL-S by my wife's stook off a 25-30MPH rolling start. (off the GSP toll)
However, from idle, unless you do a 7k drop, you would have no chance, since all I have to do is floor the throttle. (fool proof)
Both the TL-S and CL-S can easily get over 300 HP at the crank with 2 mods.
And don't feel bad, compared to the stook, TL-S and CL-S drives like a boat. I get car sick driving TL-S after 1 week with the stook.
My wife simply can't keep the understeer under control when she drives the TL-S. She curses it every other minute.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:11 AM

Hmmm... I need to run a CL-S from a stop. I raced one from a roll and got a car and 1/2 before I cut him off. (long story) It was on video, but those guys never posted it.

That said, it is really possible for most powerful automatic tranny cars to compete with a fast manual tranny car.
Brandon, would you say a Pontiac GTP (supercharged) w/a pulley, filter, and exhaust is a powerful automatic tranny car? If so, I would say it's no match for an S2000 from a launch, or roll. I have video proof too...

Later..

Quick Reply: Got Killed. . . By a CL-S??