S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Got Killed. . . By a CL-S??

Old 08-10-2001, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Killed. . . By a CL-S??

So, I was driving home last night on Forrest Avenue (a 4 lane, 4-mile county road with intersections and lights about every mile). . .

Anyway, I pass this guy in a white CL-S (I wasn't racing just driving fast). . . So, he revs. . . I shift to third and I'm out!!! I then backed off. . . He roars past me and when we get to the next light, he starts revving again. . .

So, I'm like what the hell. . . Why not.

Anyway, the light goes green & he mashes the throttle and IS OUT!!! I was like what the F!!! In all fairness, I rolled off the line (released the clutch at about 1500 rpm) because I'm not really comfortable with dropping the clutch. . . I figured that even with a rolling start, I should have been able to catch him. . . I was so wrong. . . I closed the gap, but by then it was over. . .

At the next light, same situation. . . I got toasted. . .

My question: How high can I drop the clutch without fearing slippage. . . Also, from the numbers, a CL-S does 0-60 in 6.7 (versus our 5.5) and the 1/4 in 15@95 (versus our 14@99), shouldn't I have been able to catch him??

Damn.

I read about all of the CL-S kills and figured I should have done the same. . . I feel like I let the entire S2K community down

(In addition, my car only has 2300 miles - not sure if that should matter)
Old 08-10-2001, 05:47 AM
S2R

1500 rpms? That sounds too low for drag racing.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:27 AM

You gotta drop at around 3-4k at least...
Old 08-10-2001, 08:53 AM

I've asked this question before. There's no in-between for launches. Either a punchy street start or you drop that puppy from 7 grand. To beat a CL-S off the line, you'll need to do the latter. It's all good, my friend. I hardly ever drag race.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't let anyone down!, you just didn't launch right as I'm sure you knew that already, I'm confident if you try what johev and WRS2K suggested you'll be able to take a CL-S (its a nice car though, I like it!, I heared they'll be offered with a 6 speed manual for 2002 which may make it a tougher kill off course!, then again, its only a rumor I read in a magazine, I don't wanna be starting anything here )
Old 08-10-2001, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the feed back. . . I knew I should've revved higher, but I honestly thought that (given the CL-S's 0-60 time) I could have taken it even without a high rev launch. . .

Whereas I know I would have overtaken the CL-S once the speeds approached 100mph, I still could have avoid the incident by being more aggressive with my launch. . .

Oh well. . . There's always next time.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:43 AM

just a little more agressive launch and you should be fine. maybe do some practice launches to see what works best for you...the stock clutch really doesn't slip too well for really good launches, the ACT pressure plate seems to help out....
Old 08-10-2001, 11:49 AM

here's the thing, if you're gonna race ANYONE, you launch like you're REALLY racing. Launch at 6-7 grand rpms next time.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:49 AM

I have raced several of those and if you get caught off guard then it may not be that easy to catch up. I have pulled on them more than several car lengths.

You need to get those revs up, even 3-5K would be ok, if you hit your shift points right you will see a big difference.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Sev

Guys, i have said this before, For the LOVE of God himself.

No half-ass take-off suggestions, how do you think some people are achieving those high 15 second time slips when the car can do high 14s with an idle launch????????

If you launch the S2k at 3-4k it will be slower then if you do a regular start and you might cause more damage to your clutch and driveline, YOU WILL BOG BADLY and loose lots of time. Either do a 6-7.5k launch or just do a street start, also if you are racing any car that is capable of 14s such as a CL-s you better do a launch or not race a at all, you will not catch one if you do a street start since you cannot do better then it on the 1/4 mile and by racing one, even if you beat it by a car length he will say he was close.......

The solution to not doing too many crazy launches is to race from a roll in 1st gear at 25 mph or in any gear at 6000 RPMs +.

Quick Reply: Got Killed. . . By a CL-S??