S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Faster than a speeding Bullitt

Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Faster than a speeding Bullitt

I was driving down a road that "T'd" into a 4 lane highway. I saw a Mustang 10 seconds in front of me. As the Mustang reached the intersection I noticed they were just sitting at the stop sign and no traffic was on the highway. Once I pulled up behind them the Mustang pulled out onto the highway and swung out into the far lane. I pulled into the near lane, ready for some potential action. As I closed on the car, trying to line up, I heard it go WOT. Now keep in mind I was closing slightly on the car at this point so I had a definite momentum advantage, despite being a car length back. I hit the gas just as I was coming into VTEC in 1st and walked the Mustang easily. Once I had a car length between us the Mustang shut down (before I shifted to 3rd) and I went on my merry way, nearly dying of laughter. I'm fairly certain I would have walked the Mustang had he waited for us to line up. I got the feeling the Mustang driver felt the same way because he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me after the that encounter.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good kill
Old 05-18-2006, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're stock or close to it, you would have most likely stayed dead even or pulled a little, but doubt you would have walked him as hard as you portrayed.

Good kill
Old 05-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Banned

if you already had a significant speed advantage on the other car, your car would have to be all kinds of weak to not pass them. And any time you are coming up on a car at anything faster than a very slow crawl, you have a significant speed advantage. You got a running start on them, then pat yourself on the back for winning?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 911,May 18 2006, 05:10 AM
If you're stock or close to it, you would have most likely stayed dead even or pulled a little, but doubt you would have walked him as hard as you portrayed.

Good kill
what makes you say that? Could have been a 6, but even a stock GT before 06 model still gets owned by a stock S
Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by connorsgp,May 18 2006, 09:08 AM
what makes you say that? Could have been a 6, but even a stock GT before 06 model still gets owned by a stock S
stock GT 99-04 doesn't get owned by a stock S.. it gets crawled.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9,May 18 2006, 06:30 AM
stock GT 99-04 doesn't get owned by a stock S.. it gets crawled.
maybe in Conn it gets crawled...in Fla pre 06 mustang gt's get owned, at least in my experience
Old 05-18-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the result I was expecting from the race (even or a slow crawl). The Mustang jumped on the gas right before I did, but I had a slight speed advantage which definitely made the race seem a lot more one sided than it should have been. Given such evenly matched cars a 2mph difference in speed isn't easy to overcome, IMHO.

if you already had a significant speed advantage on the other car, your car would have to be all kinds of weak to not pass them. And any time you are coming up on a car at anything faster than a very slow crawl, you have a significant speed advantage. You got a running start on them, then pat yourself on the back for winning?
Where do you get all this "significant speed advantage" crap? My exact words...
Now keep in mind I was closing slightly on the car at this point
Additionally, I did not try to get a jump on him. I quote myself again...
As I closed on the car, trying to line up, I heard it go WOT.
I was trying to line up with him. The Mustang took off while I was a car length back. At that point what other options did I have? He initiated the race before we had lined up, I can't help that.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by connorsgp,May 18 2006, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure what you mean... Are are you refering to a 6 cyl.? As bullitts are GTs with merely a different intake, so it still has 8 cyl.

And if you mistyped and meant to say "06," then you are mistaken, they haven't come out with late model bullitts yet.

If anything it's a driver's race leaning o so slightly in the S's favor for weight advantage.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by connorsgp,May 18 2006, 08:16 AM
maybe in Conn it gets crawled...in Fla pre 06 mustang gt's get owned, at least in my experience
Lol.

Quick Reply: Faster than a speeding Bullitt