S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Evo 8 vs My S2K

Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drizzles2k,Nov 30 2004, 11:03 AM
Has anyone else had an encounter with an Evo?
LOL, yes we have Then again, we could everyday. My experience is a stock Evo will give an S a run for its money. When mine was bone stock I could pull on our S, but not much I would barely start creeping away. Now that its modded, I can pull pretty easy, and I only have the turboback exhaust with cat delete and Intake with upper IC piping. It doesnt take much to get the Evo really fast. Once I get my Ecu reflashed, I should be in the high 12's for a total of $1500 in mods and once I drop the cams in, it should run low 12's for a total of $2500 in mods.

Dont underestimate the AWD, some say it loses top end, or they are slow from a roll, Its not. Just with my basic mods, I can hit 150mph easily with the car still pulling strong. When I race our S now from a roll, I can still pull 2-3 cars right away and then probably put another 2-3 cars (starting in 2 and topping out 4th) Just be careful when choosing an Evo to run
Old 12-01-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Dec 1 2004, 12:34 PM
LOL, yes we have Then again, we could everyday. My experience is a stock Evo will give an S a run for its money. When mine was bone stock I could pull on our S, but not much I would barely start creeping away. Now that its modded, I can pull pretty easy, and I only have the turboback exhaust with cat delete and Intake with upper IC piping. It doesnt take much to get the Evo really fast. Once I get my Ecu reflashed, I should be in the high 12's for a total of $1500 in mods and once I drop the cams in, it should run low 12's for a total of $2500 in mods.

Dont underestimate the AWD, some say it loses top end, or they are slow from a roll, Its not. Just with my basic mods, I can hit 150mph easily with the car still pulling strong. When I race our S now from a roll, I can still pull 2-3 cars right away and then probably put another 2-3 cars (starting in 2 and topping out 4th) Just be careful when choosing an Evo to run
Thats pretty bad ass. I've always liked Evo's. Who exactly are u talking about when you say "we"? Do you share the cars or somethin?

And personally, which car do you like better?

And I will be careful on the Evo's. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:10 AM

When im saying "we" im referrring to my wife. The S is hers and obviously that makes the Evo mine. Well techincally they are both "ours" but the S is her daily driver and the Evo is mine

Personally, and I know since its an S2K site most dont like hearing it, but I'd take the Evo over the S in a a hearbeat. Of course the S looks much better (although I do love the looks of the Evo) but when I do take the S to work or whatever, man I really miss the torque. Also not to mention, its roomier and best, AWD especially in the rain. I hate driving the S when its raining. I dont know, I guess if your used to the S you'd probably like it better, but I drive our S about 1-2 times a month but believe me I dont miss it I love the sound of the turbo spooling especially with the intake and I love surprising people that think its just a ricer 4 door car with a big wing.

Stock Evo's are ok, but they get really fun once you start modding them. Once I get my ECU reflashed, we'll have to run our cars again and see how much more of a difference it makes...LOL, the Ecu reflash can gain anywhere from 25-40 whp for $600
Old 12-02-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Dec 2 2004, 03:10 AM
When im saying "we" im referrring to my wife. The S is hers and obviously that makes the Evo mine. Well techincally they are both "ours" but the S is her daily driver and the Evo is mine

Personally, and I know since its an S2K site most dont like hearing it, but I'd take the Evo over the S in a a hearbeat. Of course the S looks much better (although I do love the looks of the Evo) but when I do take the S to work or whatever, man I really miss the torque. Also not to mention, its roomier and best, AWD especially in the rain. I hate driving the S when its raining. I dont know, I guess if your used to the S you'd probably like it better, but I drive our S about 1-2 times a month but believe me I dont miss it
So when you run it.. is your wife the one driving the S??

I love my car. I drive it daily, but there are times when I want some more room in that sucker. I was actually gonna buy an S4 before I got the S2K. And Still do wish I got it instead, but things didn't follow through at the dealership. So I'll just have to get one later in life..

The Evo & S are different cars.. some people want a little race car, others want more of a roomy car. AWD vs RWD. They both have different purposes. Turbo spooling? AWSOME. Gotta love it!

Im really going for that supercharger though. We'll see what happens..
Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 AM

Yeah when we run, she drives the S since shes used to it, but she is a pretty good driver, also most of the time we run from rolls, to eliminate driver error etc..Once I get the reflash, it wouldnt matter who was driving, even a best time on the S wouldnt help. With the Ecu, I will be in the high 12's and once I get the cams, she would ned a supercharger to keep up

I have looked at the S4's as well, I love those cars. But yeah the extra room does help sometimes. LOL, ever try christmas shopping in the S? We did that last year, forgot we brang the S and almost had to leave half teh stuff there and come back with our other car or make 2 trips
Old 12-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

If it were just a driveability question, I'd take the Evo as well. My buddy bought an '03 3 weeks before I got my '04 S2k, and yes, it was a lot easier to drive fast (especially coming from a Jetta).

Now, my buddy took his Evo to Vishnu and pushing 310hp at the engine and probably 250hp at the wheels (it amazingly based at 214 before mods). After driving it now, it's friggin' cake, and actually dances around the corners even better (despite the new shifting issues).

However, I'm vain. My fashion sense kicked in.

. . . but I can't complain. My buddy with the Evo still is envious of my dash, leather and white-knuckle-fun oversteer.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:33 AM

I agree it is easier to drive. I know the wife loves leather, I can do without though, I actually prefer cloth. As for Vishnu, yeah they are awesome, they certainly know how to pump up an Evo. I was going to go with them, since they are pretty close to me, but I have decided to go with WORKS, since they seem to tune for a smoother powerband and not a high peak hp #. I have seen stories where the WORKS car is actually faster because it holds the power longer as compared to making a higher hp # then dropping off.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Dec 2 2004, 11:53 AM
Yeah when we run, she drives the S since shes used to it, but she is a pretty good driver, also most of the time we run from rolls, to eliminate driver error etc..Once I get the reflash, it wouldnt matter who was driving, even a best time on the S wouldnt help. With the Ecu, I will be in the high 12's and once I get the cams, she would ned a supercharger to keep up

I have looked at the S4's as well, I love those cars. But yeah the extra room does help sometimes. LOL, ever try christmas shopping in the S? We did that last year, forgot we brang the S and almost had to leave half teh stuff there and come back with our other car or make 2 trips
Well man, both the S and the Evo of yours are bad ass. No complaints on either.

That reflashed ECU is gonna be awsome. 12's? Even better!

Yeah, I lovvvvvvvvve the S4. I have wanted one for soo long. It was the worst when i couldn't get that sucker.

As for the Christmas shopping.. No, I haven't done it yet, but will have to this year. Hopefully it goes all well.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:30 AM

Thanks, yeah both definitly get a lot of compliments. 12's will be pretty cool, but once I get the cams and dip into the low 12's that will be sweet
Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Dec 3 2004, 03:30 AM
Thanks, yeah both definitly get a lot of compliments. 12's will be pretty cool, but once I get the cams and dip into the low 12's that will be sweet
That will be sweet. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 vs My S2K