S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Do you race Domestics?

Old 08-18-2001, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I dont believe Mr. Smiley has owned a detroit muscle car either I never meant to start a honda/gm war so I I will just say enjoy your car. Remember I did not start this thread just commented on it. The corvette has a lot going for it but I would not own one or a boxster s or a f body. For my money I will take s2000 or when I make a few more bucks I will take a new m roadster.Also I believe the s2000 is the engineering marvel of this century. To combine the best looks of any roadster made today with the most efficient engine pumping out the most hp/liter ever on a production car and doing it with no forced induction it is incredible. So much so that 2 poeple who dont even own them(s2ken,shizon) bought other cars yet monitor this sight!!!!!!!

I love all you guys peace.
Old 08-18-2001, 03:57 PM

also did it for $32,740

btw shizon I got a question for you since I see you are a gm expert. About 10 years ago I believe yamaha built a dohc head for gm and put it on a select few cars. Why does'nt gm do that now. They could push 400 hp out of the vette plant with little or no mpg decreae or much cost. That car would be incredible and I could not see it cost much more.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:17 PM

DOHC engines weigh much more than a simple pushrod engine does. The C5 has a 51/49 weight balance right now so that is the reason why they didn't do that. The ZR1 actually is a quadcam engine designed by lotus and built by mercury. That in my opinion is the most "advanced" engine the corvette has had.

GM has a philosophy of improving on existing technology until it can not be improved on anymore. Honestly, I think the corvettes next step after the LS98 (small block light weight 427) will be to get rid of cams altogether and do computer controlled valves. Just think, it would be like switching your cams depending on needed power and rpm. Wouldn't that be nice

I never discounted the S2000. It's definetly a wonderful car. I just like to expand my horizons and learn about other cars. I'm quite the lurker, but I only post on the boards that I like. This is definetly one of the top sites on the internet, but people like the one that started this thread are little blemishes. Trust me, the corvetteforum has it's share too We have tons of viper guys and supra guys on there, but most of them are cool.

Hopefully I'll get a ride in an S soon. I'm hoping to hop along with someone when I head up to Purdue to see some friends.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thomas laporta
[B] About 10 years ago I believe yamaha built a dohc head for gm and put it on a select few cars. Why does'nt gm do that now. They could push 400 hp out of the vette plant with little or no mpg decreae or much cost.
Old 08-18-2001, 08:03 PM

Well there you go

The engine compartment in a C5 is pretty cramped. It's so cramped that lingenfelter had to put the turbos in part of the front brake cooling ducts. That's pretty packed.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:54 PM

Haven't owned a Detroit muscle car? What are you smokin? Try a 1969 4-4-2 convertible baby! Whew what a car. I agree the S2000 is a good car, but it certainly isn't the best "looking" convertible on the road, the vette, the m roadster and the boxster all look better imho. I do agree with the engineering that Honda went through to develop the S2000 though, top notch.

BTW, I don't count a 1968 Old Toronado as a "muscle" car, but it did have the famed W-34 455 engine in it, highest output in hp and torque of any factory big block in the late 60's, only problem was they stuck it in a car weighing 4400 lbs! Still though it would smoke the front wheels like nobody's business and it was faster than a 1969 mustang with a 351 windsor in it.

Have you even owned an American car??? (Not that I'm proud of all the ones I've owned.

BTW, you should lurk the Porsche board, you'd learn a thing a too...
Old 08-18-2001, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by S2Ken
Still though it would smoke the front wheels like nobody's business and it was faster than a 1969 mustang with a 351 windsor in it.
A true car guy, I can tell. I may be nitpicking but wasn't that a 351 Cleveland?
Old 08-20-2001, 05:44 AM

I didn't read through all the responses, but I just had one comment. A new Corvette Z06 will sodomize just about any street legal car made, on a road course. . .at least until you get into the exotics.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by jschmidt

A true car guy, I can tell. I may be nitpicking but wasn't that a 351 Cleveland?
I think you are right.

I seem to remember the 351 was the Cleveland and the Windsor was a 302.....
Old 08-20-2001, 06:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher
[B]I think you are right.

Quick Reply: Do you race Domestics?