S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Do you race Domestics?

Old 08-17-2001, 08:11 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Kguy
[B]Every Friday and Saturday night I have these Camaro's and Firebirds trying to race me...I never bite.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:15 PM

well I hate to admit it but i feel close to the same way as the origiginal persons post. The diff is I would never type it. Everyone is free to buy what they want and I would never insult anyway by saying anything otherwise. That said I have been beaten reguarly by new f bodies so it is a challenge and I feel even the perfect race by stook is not good enough to take new f body. I lost to 2 diff f bodies tonight 2002 z28 and 200 ws6 and they ate my lunch. My point is love the car you bought and no matter what beats me I would not part with my car. Though I would love to s/c it and race domestic v8s. It would be a more enjoyable race. i guess what bothers me most is gm has not kept up with the times ohv,live r axle, drum brakes. That and quality issues are what keeps me away from current f bodies. But if I wanted to buy a car for dragging everynite and not spend to much I would find a ws6 and for 2 grand put intake/exhaust chips and other goodies and easily run 12's all day
just my 2 cents
Old 08-18-2001, 07:55 AM

Well, the f-bodies are made for a purpose. That is drag racing. They aren't made for the track. That's what corvettes are made for and in that case, GM has definetly kept up with the times and then some. The corvette is GM's road race car (just happens to be pretty decent at other things) and the f-bodies are the drag cars. I wouldn't knock "GM" cars until you have ridden in a C5. Again, nothing against the S2000, but the corvette is superior in every category. Everything is personal taste though. That doesn't make the corvette a better car in your eyes and that's perfectly fine. I commend you for holding back your opinion of domestics, no matter how wrong it is
Old 08-18-2001, 08:01 AM

Pretty Brash remarks to the Owner of the F body.personally I have never really owned and American Car...but I dont dislike most of them. I do have a F 150 and a Navigator...somehow the trucks just seems to be made a little better.

As far as you killing the Z 28 I doubt it...too much easily modulated torque and power.

Everyone usually takes pride it what they drive.So for an off handed comment like that.I think anyone would be offended.

*Street racing?.....never underestimate the car or driver.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:57 AM

well shizon how are my facts wrong on the f body. They use old style ohv engines. They use ancient live r axles and rough riding suspension. I am not sure about brakes anymore but I dont think they r drums unless it is base model. And pick up a consumer reports mag and they are worse then average in every category. Those are facts not opinion.Now that being said lets move on to the vette. I think it is the best bargain in sports car today. It dust anything in its class or any class close to it including boxster s m roadster ,s2000 etc. My opinion is they are current in technology and a great looking car. I am not slamming on it at all. I still would like to take my 32,000 car put a 4,500 s/c and 1,500 in intake/exhaust etc and race a vette and see what happens. That would be fun. And sorry but honda is legendary in reliability/resale value where gm as a whole and corvettes are not.I am glad you love your car and you do have the prettiest color that they make it in
Old 08-18-2001, 12:14 PM

Well, you just kinda dug your own grave on that one...

The camaro and vette share the same motor, so if the corvette is on the top of technology, so is the camaro. Live axles are better for drag racing (which is what the f-bodies are made for). And a stiff suspension is pretty much characteristic of many many sports cars. This is why many different suspensions are offered when ordering a car. It's up to a drivers tastes. Oh, and they have disc brakes and have for a long time now.

Don't even get me started on build quality or reputation because no one has the reputation of a corvette. 50 years of heritage goes a long way (not to mention reliability awards from people much more credible than consumer reports). Every car has it's problems. I can think of quite a few problems with S2000's. But that's normal. It's not like we're driving KIA's

But when you hump a lot of cars together and generalize. You really have a lot of proving to do to make up points.

Hell, Vipers are hand made!!! I'd say that's pretty good build quality! They are a very well built street race car.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:19 PM

Forgot to mention that you wouldn't want to compare resale value of a vette to anything really.

67's are a six figure car now. Corvettes depreciate and then appreciate depending on model year.

You don't even want to know how much a 53 goes for....
Old 08-18-2001, 01:51 PM

What about a '63 split window? My cousin has 2 of those, one in storage and one he drives on the track. I always preferred the 66 or 67 convertible with a 427 myself.

Mr. Laporta hasn't ever owned, let alone worked on, a Detroit muscle car so while most certainly lack the refinement of a Honda, I'd take a 1970 426 Hemi Cuda convertible over an S2000 any day.

Corvettes have good resale value, but they do fluctuate a lot, a few years ago they were commanding premiums, now the bottom has fallen out. They are still better resale than most other cars, but I do think the newer ones lack the resale power of the 50-70's models.

Personally, I don't like the way the new Vettes drive, but that is because I'm partial to mid-engine cars and mid-engine handling characteristics, although the Vette does take me back to the days of planting my foot to the floor and watching the tail almost come alongside in an older muscle car. Dollar for Dollar a great deal, especially in performance. I think it is much too early to say how the reliability of the S2000 will compare to the Z06 Vette for example.

Would I take a Vette over a S2000? Hmmm close call, probably would depend on my mood that day. Over a new M Roadster? Yes until the next series comes out. Over a Boxster S? Not a chance, but I'm an engineering geek at heart.

Moral of the story, to each their own and don't knock the other guys car because someone is gonna knock yours!

In the immortal words of Geddy Lee, "It's my turn to drive!"
Old 08-18-2001, 03:07 PM

I have both and I can assure you that lots of the silly assumptions/generalizations made above are incorrect. These are both fine cars and fine sports cars. They both go fast and they both corner and stop better than 95% of cars. They're both damn fun and I'm keeping both.

As to build quality, my Z has 110k miles and -- while some things are starting to get old -- it still pulls as strong as the S.

I would suggest that all those with raised noses go test drive a Z28. The good news is that you'll be able to! The other good news is that you'll be surprised how much fun you've had.

Cool is not a brand or a nationality!!!
Old 08-18-2001, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by jschmidt
I have both and I can assure you that lots of the silly assumptions/generalizations made above are incorrect. These are both fine cars and fine sports cars. They both go fast and they both corner and stop better than 95% of cars. They're both damn fun and I'm keeping both.

As to build quality, my Z has 110k miles and -- while some things are starting to get old -- it still pulls as strong as the S.

I would suggest that all those with raised noses go test drive a Z28. The good news is that you'll be able to! The other good news is that you'll be surprised how much fun you've had.

Cool is not a brand or a nationality!!!
Amen

Quick Reply: Do you race Domestics?