S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

"Criminal" speeding ticket

Old 07-16-2002, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I didn't have as much trouble as some of you. I got a pulled over once and the bastard gave me a ticket for 115 in a 55! I was out there yelling at this shithead. Anyway, went to court and the prosecuter pretty much let me pick my speed... I said 80, she was like.. okay.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigDawg3683
[B]Glad I didn't have as much trouble as some of you.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:19 AM

I got pulled in Va (angry evil cops) for about 58 in a 25 which is criminal because it is 2x the speed limit. However, the officer responded to my politeness by dropping the ticket to a 45 in a 25. Then I went to court and asked the judge about defensive driving....he said "no, is there anything else you would like to ask me" and I told him it was my birthday (it was otherwise I would be perjuring myself) and he dismissed the ticket completely. No BS, it was one of the single greatest days ever. I think it was because the officer mentioned in court how polite I was!

Nix
Old 07-18-2002, 11:20 AM

I had a criminal reckless driving(4 points if convicted), and I paid my lawyer $250 and got off completely as long as I did a court mandated 8 hour school.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going 110mph when I got once, but the cop was cool and gave me a ticket for 98. That wound up costing me $300 but I was able to take the online traffic school, and not have it go on my record.

BTW, my brother is California Highway Patrol, and they don't use radar (come up from behind and tail you). It is completely dependent on each cop and how detailed his reports and recollections are. Also how good your lawyers are too. Some cops are really detailed, and really good in court (brother hasn't lost one yet). Other cops don't even show up or are sloppy and your lawyer can cut holes in their testimony. Get a good one, and fight it. At 100mph + you have nothing to lose as you can't go to traffic school anyways if it is reckless. I will tell you that the few times I have showed up in court they were running traffic court before my cases came up and of the 15 cases that I saw, all 15 of the violators lost. None had lawyers, and as long as the officer is coherent if you go by yourself you are going to lose.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:44 PM

By the way, this case is STILL pending in court
Old 09-19-2002, 04:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fanman
[B]I was going 110mph when I got once, but the cop was cool and gave me a ticket for 98.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:35 PM

I got a criminal reckless driving ticket for changing lanes at 110mph on wet roads without signalling. I got a lawyer for $400, and the lawyer goes the first court date.

Then you get a second court date and you have to go to that one. Then you will get a 3rd court date and that is when the real decision is made and the officer is there.

I ended up with a $170 fine, an 8 hour agressive driving course, and 50hours of community service. But i received no points on my lisence.

You wanna hear something funny, all my friends do stupid shyt to and have never gotten tickets. Everytime I do something simple I get pulled over. Ive had 19 tickets to date(some were multiples at the same time, seatbelt, illegal lighting, etc), and I still only pay $110 a month insurance for my S2000. LOL I have 0 points on my lisence though(ive paid a lawyer for every ticket, and they usually get thrown out completely or I get a small fine), so I guess the insurance company doesnt get notified about tickets unless you get points on your lisence.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:31 AM

The thing I've learned in having to deal with the ticket meisters is 1) if you get stopped, yes, do be polite and 2) get to know the court system in your area.

If you are polite, non-descript so to speak, the cop won't likely have a vendetta against you. Being polite, thus not having a cop with a vendetta then allows you to call up the court and 1) request a delay of up to two-weeks...(try to do it twice if the court person will let you...many won't...what you are trying to do is disrupt the cop's schedule (many try and get all their court dates on a certain day).

Once you get the delay, regardless of what you think the judge will do, plead NOT GUILTY. This set a court date a couple of weeks to months away...(if nothing else, it delays the time your insurance will stay low...IF you happen to get unlucky).

Actually, once you plead not guilty, you'll usually talk with the prosecutor's office. At this point, especially if you have a clean record, as if they have a diversion program..ie...if you don't get caught for a year, they drop it...otherwise, this is your time to bargin. If you don't like what you're offered here, tell the prosecutor's office you want a court date.

If you get a court date, again, call and ask for a delay....THEN, if the day arrives and you go to court, wait til the LAST minute to see if the officer shows up...OFTEN, if you take this much time, the officer will not show up. Of course, the prosecutor is allowed one time for the officer to not show, BUT this is a great time to ask for the diversion program or similar reduction. Often the prosecutor will take the offer to avoid not having the officer miss for the second time, which is dismissal.

Again, this is based on my experience and local court system. Its worked every time (including one of those 100+ items...do you frame yours...over 100? I do) What is most important is to delay...delay...delay....and know the local court system in your town...Good luck!
Old 10-16-2002, 02:07 PM

As Jim Carrey said to his "client" in Liar Liar, STOP SPEEDING... it's amazing if you leave 10 minutes earlier that you don't have to speed to get where your going on time..

Quick Reply: "Criminal" speeding ticket