S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

count down to....

Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default count down to....

it's time to see if the evo 9 really has a signifiant improvement in performence.

My buddy calls me, and shows up o my house in a brand new gunmetal, evo 9 MR. He's got about 120miles on the odometer in one day, so i'll give it about 2 weeks for it to be broken in. once he's ready and gows his balls were ganna go ahead and do some freeway runs. I expect it to be very close if not dead even. alhough i also think i can pull him a bit on top. the new evo is supposed to be faster up top compared to the previous which drops power at high rpm, and loses umf at high speeds. I've beaten all evo 8's i've raced from highway rolls, now it's time to test the evo 9 MR.

Anyon have experience racing one yet?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, I cant believe your in LA and havent raced any fast Evo's. Were here in a small town and I know several that would put an S2K to shame from any speed. The Evo 9 MR will/should pull away from you assuming your buddy knows how to drive.

BTW...Im sure I dont have to tell you but stock Evo's lose top end because of boost taper, thats and easy $50 fix Lol, run an Evo with cams up top and you wont know what hit you...trust me
Old 11-06-2005, 02:22 PM

god dam it quick. i know all this. you always bring up these facts about modded evo's, well WE KNOW!!!!

i have ran fast evo's and have lost, but those loses were not from roll ons. my roll ons have been against stock evo's and none have won. But yes there are many crazy fast one's here.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Ok...A "stock" Evo9 MR will kick your ass left and right. From a roll, from a dig etc, pick your poison. If he doesnt he CANT drive, argue all you want, but my Evo when bone stock could hang with a stock S at any speed. Who knows it could be an exception but IMO the Evo will beat you.

LOL, I just thought Id mention modded Evo since I think it was you with the sig right beating C5's etc? LOL!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Nov 6 2005, 05:55 PM
Ok...A "stock" Evo9 MR will kick your ass left and right. From a roll, from a dig etc, pick your poison. If he doesnt he CANT drive, argue all you want, but my Evo when bone stock could hang with a stock S at any speed. Who knows it could be an exception but IMO the Evo will beat you.

LOL, I just thought Id mention modded Evo since I think it was you with the sig right beating C5's etc? LOL!!!
sorry dude. you met idiot drivers. my S stock would have annihilated your evo. 03-04 are slow. end of story. i spanked the 05 stock and they are way faster than the 03-04. i mean WAY faster. larger hotside on the turbo, better tune etc. the 03-04's i have raced, ive always beaten them, with exception of today. i finally lost to an early one. and he is well modded.

im pretty sure ruben is gonna be real close to the 9. we shall see., late dave
Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Lol, I lost to idiot drivers...How about you? Hahaha I love it. yeah 03's are waaaaayyyy slower than 05's S2000's are slow in stock form, sorry to say. I have read plenty of your stories and unlike most I dont doubt your kills, but most S2K's on here arent gonna beat Evo's even the "slow" 03's. Lol, I have raced plenty of S2K's and one of my buddies is a very good driver and he couldnt believe how hard I could pull on him, with just my turboback and intake at the time. I also pulled a Turbo'd RSX with just those mods from a dig and roll 3 times in a row. So obviously not all 03's were slow.

What do you consider a well modded Evo? I have maybe a little over $2K total in power mods, which should put me at low 12's. Havent been to the track, but judging on cars that I have beat that have been, Id say even on a bad run im hitting mid 12's.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:16 AM

We will hopefully settle this in the next few weeks (stock S2K vs close to stock Evo).

I am more or less even with my buddies 350z which has gears, full exhaust with test pipe, lighter pulleys etc so we are expecting to walk a stock S. Time will tell.

The 05's are not that much faster than the 03's. They do have the larger hotside and a better differential system, slightly improved power throughout the range, but the boost taper and tune (they all run stupidly rich) is crap on both.

(I have a reflash, but still boost taper from 21 psi to ~17-18.
A $80 MBC will take care of that when I get round to it)

If I am not mistaken, Quik had an S and an evo at the same time so he is in an ideal situation to comment on the differences between his 2 cars. However not all cars are the same.

As for the evo9's they do seem to make simlar power as the 8's, but they pull stronger up top due to MIVEC with the turbo spooling 1000 rpms sooner.

With a tune and MBC (23 psi tapering to 21)
277 WHP and 297 FTLBS of torque!!

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=165455
Old 11-07-2005, 10:16 AM

Lol, yeah I did have the S and the Evo at the same time, but obviously it doesnt matter because at that time my Evo was beating my S, then they all thought something was wrong with my S even though we beat every 350Z we raced 1/4 mile go figure huh?

That is one thing I always said, was maybe my Evo was a bit stronger (as some are) because I could pull on our S even after the S got the initial jump (and for those that remember my S this was on stock wheels before the 18's)

If you go back and look through old posts you'll see I have no problem admitting a stock Evo and a stock S would be a good race, IMHO it could go either way, but the stock S will NOT annihilate an Evo sorry.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Nov 7 2005, 11:16 AM
Lol, yeah I did have the S and the Evo at the same time, but obviously it doesnt matter because at that time my Evo was beating my S, then they all thought something was wrong with my S even though we beat every 350Z we raced 1/4 mile go figure huh?

That is one thing I always said, was maybe my Evo was a bit stronger (as some are) because I could pull on our S even after the S got the initial jump (and for those that remember my S this was on stock wheels before the 18's)

If you go back and look through old posts you'll see I have no problem admitting a stock Evo and a stock S would be a good race, IMHO it could go either way, but the stock S will NOT annihilate an Evo sorry.
Ok. I've been meaning to come out and say this for a long time now. YOU NEVER KNEW HOW TO DRIVE YOUR S2000 PROPERLY. I see it every day with s2000 owners who just simply have no idea how to drive their cars fast. That's just IMO.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM

quik no one is saying a stock S will "annihelate" a stock evo, but it will pull it no doubt. I also agree with yellow, i've been meaning to say this everytime you bring up that you had both cars, you probably could not drive the S. It's much easier to drive an evo then it is an S. I've beaten to many stock evo's in my runs, does that mean I should start calling my S something special, No! because it isn't, any S can do what i've done period. And yet again you mention pulling S after S when you were sock, but i've ye to see you mention one race against one where you don't mention having a mod. I also think you ran into bad drivers.

Quick Reply: count down to....