S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Can stock Z4's beat Mustang's?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can stock Z4's beat Mustang's?

I have a Z4 3.0, and some of my friends told me to never race any Mustang as it'll easily smoke me. However, I don't buy it, at least not entirely, because I've read about S2000's beating Mustangs in this forum and I know a stock Z4 is about as fast as a stock S2k. I know I have no chance against a Cobra. But how about against a GT and non-GT? Against convertible and coupe? Any differences in power for various recent model years?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:38 AM
Banned

Depending on how you drive, but if you're a good driver, you could beat a GT and smoke a non-GT (V6). If your car is 6-sp, you'll walk away from a GT; not saying that you'll smoke it, but you'll beat it. Now go try it out!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:58 AM

Thanks :-) I'm not a very good driver yet, but the SMG will make me look like a better driver though. It'll never mis-shift, and I'll always get a consistent 0.12 second shifting time 100 out of 100 times.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

Yeah, with auto, you just smash and go. But with manuals, even though one could mis-shift a lot, but you get to stroke the gears. Ahhh, stroking never feels so good, esp. with an awesome gear box. Stroking only feels that good on a lonely night.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:34 AM

yella... how is your ppd only 4.4!?

As for the Z4... isn't their an "Beemer Encounter" forum!?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM

oh... and my buddy's Z4... I think he got a factory f*ck up... he ordered his about a month before they hit dealerships... and we raced a few times (I'm not sure he had it fully broken in)... but I walked him relatively easily... A little faster then I would pull on a stock GT...

so who knows... could be the car... could be the driver... either way, I'm sure it is not a walk in the park...
Old 08-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned

You have a little more power than a 99+ V6 Mustang, while weighing roughly the same, so you could probably beat most V6's. You have a lot less power than a 99+ GT, so you likely won't win against a good driver in a 5 speed. There are tons of Mustangs, and the GTs prior to 1999 are close in performance to your Z4, so you stand a good chance of beating a Mustang GT if it is older than 1999, as long as it doesn't have many mods. An auto vert 99+ GT would be the slowest of the 99+ GTs, while a 5 speed coupe would be the fastest. I don't know how the auto would do from a roll, but from a stop it would have the advantage over a Z4, I would think.

The 99+ Mustang GT has 35 more hp, 85 more lb-ft of torque, steeper rear gears, and only 250 pounds more weight, compared to a 3.0 Z4. That 250 pounds is the only thing going against the Mustang GT. I raced a 3.0 Z3 a few years ago in my old 2000 GT, from a highway roll. He didn't have a chance from 60-70 mph rolls. I would pull hard right from the get-go, and we went at it 4 or 5 times. I'd have to be in the wrong gear to lose. Your car has the same engine, making the same power, weighing maybe 50 pounds more. The Z4 is an awesome car IMHO and pretty quick, but the bulk of the purchase price is spent on other things.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by no_really,Aug 13 2004, 12:28 PM
You have a little more power than a 99+ V6 Mustang, while weighing roughly the same, so you could probably beat most V6's. You have a lot less power than a 99+ GT, so you likely won't win against a good driver in a 5 speed. There are tons of Mustangs, and the GTs prior to 1999 are close in performance to your Z4, so you stand a good chance of beating a Mustang GT if it is older than 1999, as long as it doesn't have many mods. An auto vert 99+ GT would be the slowest of the 99+ GTs, while a 5 speed coupe would be the fastest. I don't know how the auto would do from a roll, but from a stop it would have the advantage over a Z4, I would think.

The 99+ Mustang GT has 35 more hp, 85 more lb-ft of torque, steeper rear gears, and only 250 pounds more weight, compared to a 3.0 Z4. That 250 pounds is the only thing going against the Mustang GT. I raced a 3.0 Z3 a few years ago in my old 2000 GT, from a highway roll. He didn't have a chance from 60-70 mph rolls. I would pull hard right from the get-go, and we went at it 4 or 5 times. I'd have to be in the wrong gear to lose. Your car has the same engine, making the same power, weighing maybe 50 pounds more. The Z4 is an awesome car IMHO and pretty quick, but the bulk of the purchase price is spent on other things.
the z4 3.0 has been tested(yeah I know mag racing here, but anyways), much faster than the z3 3.0 for whatever reason, with 60 times being consisently 5.3-5.4 v. 5.8-5.9 in the z3, so the z4 should do much better, iirc the gt has times around 5.5, so the z4 should edge it out, obviously making the v6 a walk in the park

stay away from cobras though

either way though, add a turn in the race and bye bye stang...there is more to driving than going straight
Old 08-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by no_really,Aug 13 2004, 12:28 PM

I think the Z4's crank hp is under-rated, as it dynoes much more than the 225hp suggests. I think its actual crank hp is around 240-250hp. With a good driver, I think it should pull slightly on a GT, and let's not talk about the Mustang V6 here.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ridgeway,Aug 13 2004, 12:57 PM
either way though, add a turn in the race and bye bye stang...there is more to driving than going straight
And there's much more to driving than the car. A slightly better driver in a slightly slower car (GT) will beat you in your Z4, even if you add a turn or two in the race.

An average driver in a Z4 will have a hard time keeping up with a good driver in a much inferior car (let's say, a miata) when you throw some turns on the road, and will get absolutely destroyed when you put a better driver in a somewhat comparable car (like the Mustang GT).

Yes, Z4 is potentially faster than a GT on a curvy road, with both cars in expert hands. But that doesn't mean that most people will have the skill to extract that potential.

Quick Reply: Can stock Z4's beat Mustang's?