S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

C5 / Cobra / Turbo MR2 / Turbo Golf / S4...

Old 01-27-2002, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday and Saturday nights were very eventful this weekend. We ran into some impromptu races on Friday night, and I had 5 races lined up for Saturday night, only one of them didn't go down. I apologize if these stories aren't quite as in-depth as I usually post, I've come down with something and I'm hardly in the medical condition to care.

C5
The motor is completely stock, but the guy has upgraded his final gear. No one was really sure what would happen. We lined up, rollin' at 40 MPH (probably need to be at 50); Zerin joined in on the right-hand size. Three honks from the Vette and we all floored it. The Vette got a slight jump, I wasn't sure how long after the 3rd beep we needed to wait to floor it, but I don't think it changed the results too much. He just took off immediately, walked away.

Video

------------------------------------------

96 Cobra
This was a friend of Roozy's. I don't think he was really expecting to beat me, just wanted to see the results. Once again, Zerin came along. I wasn't aware the Zerin was going to do the three honks thing, so I didn't know when to start. I just waited for the Cobra to start moving. The Cobra didn't hear Zerin's horn, so the start got all messed up I think this time we did a 50 punch. I see the Cobra pull forward so I floor it. I start to move on him then Zerin comes flying out of the 3rd lane...I have no idea how long he had been on the gas before us - be he was gone. I pulled away from the Cobra, and Zerin was out ahead both of us.

Video

Turbo MR2
This was against MR2Speed, who logged onto S2Ki a few days ago to see if I wanted to run. We rolled out to get some races. We matched speed at about 45 MPH. I told him I would tap the gas, then let off...when I let off he should floor it. We did that, and I pulled about 1.5 carlengths (I haven't verified this in the video yet) pretty quickly. After that, he just stuck there until the end of the race. Albert wanted to pull over, so we did. He wanted to turn his boost up and run again. Evidently, 10 PSI wasn't enough. He bumped it up to 15 PSI, and we rolled out again. We raced two more times. The 2nd (overall) race, he got a jump and was out about 2 car-lengths...nice run. He wanted to get one last run in, so we complied. This time we started pretty even, and he got about half a car.

Video 1
Video 2

Turbo Golf
One of the guys in the VW/Audi club is the prototype for the stage 3 APR turbo kit. He just got the car back from Alabama, and wanted to see how it matched up. The rolled out, lined up at 40 MPH, and I did my short punch to get him to go. He floored it, as did I. I had maybe half a car, and couldn't gain for the longest time. When we hit 100 my car started to pull away. I ended up putting a few lengths on him, but it wasn't easy.

Video

Stock S4
I had gone with the VW/Audi club to a dinner get together they had, and we were rolling around afterwards. A white, stock, S4 wanted to run me from the light. I've started slip my clutch out at about 5,500 without being concerned about my axles and differential. I told him, "I'm not going to really launch, but I'll chase you down. <smirk>" The light turned green and he launched the car hard. He took about 2 car-lengths before I could really get moving...very good launch. I flew by in 2nd/3rd gear, and I was gone. We did another run, this time we threw a Turbo VW GTI into the mix. It was pretty much the exact same results. Fun runs. Launching the car is so much more fun than rolling.

Video
Old 01-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Foo

unfortunately i shot most of the video, and the first race with the mr2 where wes puts 2 lengths on him wasnt really usable. Therefore the two posted are races (2) where mr2 got a little jump and put the same 1.5 or 2 lengths back on wes and (3) where they are literally about even (.5 car at most).

Sorry, and i will get better with the cam as we go out more.

D

Old 01-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Banned

Confucious say: Wise to buy MG Racing camera mount. In budget soon, yes.

Blake

Shut up...so I can't spell the name...
Old 01-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Foo

its not the holding of the camera, its lighting and the autofocus not holding at night, so manual focus has to be used... its not easy. a camera mount wouldnt give you the view of the car beside you and panning to see it go past or you go past it... i am getting better though.

forgive me.

Old 01-27-2002, 07:27 PM

I thought we had a fair start.....but we can do it again next time.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Foo

Originally posted by mr2speed
I thought we had a fair start.....but we can do it again next time.
the third run was very very fair, and you got about a half a car on wes... wasnt meaning to say you lunged out ahead, just got a little jump, with 15lbs of boost.. you got away. Was a great great run.
Nice looking and sounding MR2.

Old 01-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Banned

I wish I could get as many races as Wes does!!! He must have put 100 miles on the car Saturday night alone. Race after race after race all right in a row. On some of the closer races I think Wes could have benefitted with some cool down time in between. Might have made a car length or 2 difference.

Just a suggestion.

All in all a fun night of racing in Houston.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:07 PM

whenever i come out with you guys (every saturday), i can only watch. help me find some competition to get on next weekends videos.

BTW: i'm a S2000 with just an intake.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:36 AM

wesmaster: glen was saying that the C5 didn't have an upgraded rear end gear, but you seem to think it did...who's right? I was shocked at the way it pulled though. It just took off....crazy.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:13 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elanderholm
[B]wesmaster: glen was saying that the C5 didn't have an upgraded rear end gear, but you seem to think it did...who's right?

Quick Reply: C5 / Cobra / Turbo MR2 / Turbo Golf / S4...