S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Battling a Boxster

Old 06-09-2002, 05:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Battling a Boxster

I went against a Boxster last night (same stretch of road that Reeces pieces helped my with the flat last time, thanks man). I was to his right at a red and wanted to turn left at the next light (about 1/2 mile away). I signaled my left turn when we were side-by-side at about 15mph but he sped up. I was in first gear so I floored the gas pedal. He also went all out. By the time we hit 65 I was only 1 car length ahead and red light up ahead so we both braked.
It pissed me off that I couldn't change lane now I can't turn left so I decided to show him he made BIG mistake by trying to go against me with his entry level Porsche. I reved and took off when light turned green. I Jumped out again with one car length ahead but could not pull on him. We were going 60-65 when we both hit red light again. Reved and jumped the second time but still only one car length ahead by the time traffic in his lane slowed him down. I went around traffic, change to left land and made U-turn.
It was dark so I don't know whether I went against regular Boxster or the S version. I shifted at 9000rpm each time. It must have been the Boxster S because I couldn't pull on him. I don't know if it was a clear kill because I thought I would just absolutely dust his buns but didn't.
Any inputs/thoughts?
Old 06-09-2002, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you drive like a vegetable? If not, then it was a Boxster S.

good kill.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a thought. If you wanted to turn left and you used your blinker (which you did) and the bastard still didn't let you in (which the bastard didn't) - then you should have just slowed down, let him go, and then switch over behind him and BAM! You can now make your left turn.

Otherwise - maybe it was a normal boxter but modded? Just a thought. And next time, maybe you really should just slow down and let the dumb drivers be dumb (he/she must not know what a blinker means).

Any case - you still won! Good kill - even if it meant making an unneccesary U turn! heh
Old 06-09-2002, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAybe a Boxster with a supercharger kit. They have those for about $5000. Or it was probably a Boxster S
Old 06-09-2002, 11:24 PM

BTW, regular boxsters are not that slow at all. They (stick shift) hit 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, which is about one car length behind a well driven S2K @ 60mph.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:57 AM

It could have been a 'regular' 2.7 Boxster .... afterall, you only went up to 65mph - which is the end of 2nd gear. Regual Boxster (2.7) is not that much slower then the S2000 in the 1st two gears. If you're not doing a flat-out 7,000rpm clutch-drop start, then the regular Boxster has a good shot at actually beating you to the end of the 2nd gear. Up to about 40mph the S2000 is actually 'relatively' slow ... by "relative" I mean when compared to other cars with similar 1/4mile times and trap-speeds.

So what kind of lauches were you doing? If you were not spinning the rear-wheels through most of the 1st gear then it was probably a regualar Boxster as a BoxsterS would be 'daylights' ahead of you (if he put his foot down) .... for a BoxsterS you need to really get those rears-spinning and then you'll make a good race of it.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

thanks for the comments.

I was upset that I was not pulling away from a regular Boxster so I decided to post to see if any one had any opinion. If it was an S I would not be so upset.
I don't think it was modified b/c the driver is in his late 40's or 50's. Wearing a suit looking like a lawyer or doctor.
Wisconsin, no, I was not driving like a vegetable. I don't think there's a "launch" issue. We both started out "slow" then sped up. It became a matter of flooring the gas pedal and shift really quickly. BTW,I don't want to dump the clutch at 7000rpm and hurt my "baby".
blues2k, you're right I could have slow down but it was Saturday night and I don't want to "lose" to a Boxster.
peace
Old 06-11-2002, 12:57 PM

Looks like his "entry-level" Porsche put up quite a fight ehh??
Old 06-11-2002, 04:52 PM

Talk about sending in the clones. I've been duplicated.

LOL!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I was confused too.....S2K fan and S2kfan. Marcus was first.

Quick Reply: Battling a Boxster