S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Barely beat an M Coupe from a dig

Old 07-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barely beat an M Coupe from a dig

Was on Centreville Road in Herndon near my house going out with a friend, top down when I rolled up next to an M Coupe (also with a passenger). I have no idea how to tell if its the E46 M3 engine version of the E36 M3 engine version but I'm presuming its the latter since I beat him.

Anyways, at the first light I took off pretty hard just to see if he'd bite and he didn't, so I slowed back down and moved over to the right hand lane (its a 3 lane road, I was in the left most lane, he was in the middle lane).

Stop at the next light and the M coupe pulls up next to me again. Light turns green and I pull away kind of slowly thinking he's not interested in racing when I hear him get on it so I immediately WOT ... At this point we're about even but after I shifted into 2nd (and presumably he shifts as well somewhere around there), I pulled about 1/2 a car. When I shifted into 3rd though he started pulling back to almost even until I presume he had to shift into 3rd ... after that he never caught back up, by the time I shut down I was probably 1-2 cars ahead but I'm not sure if thats cuz he shut down before I did.

In any case, it was a good race ... I'm assuming it came down mostly to driver skill, although I don't think I'm the best driver out there.

BTW- If anyone cares, I have an intake (AEM v2), and exhaust (Super Sprint cat-back), no other performance mods.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:27 PM

if you consider yourself 'not the best driver' then thats a typical outcome for that car.
-Chris
Old 07-10-2005, 02:33 PM

yeah, good race. To me, the M coupe is one of the best looking cars out there. most think they are ugly, but there is just something about them.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good race. Good results
Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by LiQiCE,Jul 10 2005, 09:19 PM
Was on Centreville Road in Herndon near my house going out with a friend, top down when I rolled up next to an M Coupe (also with a passenger). I have no idea how to tell if its the E46 M3 engine version of the E36 M3 engine version but I'm presuming its the latter since I beat him.

Anyways, at the first light I took off pretty hard just to see if he'd bite and he didn't, so I slowed back down and moved over to the right hand lane (its a 3 lane road, I was in the left most lane, he was in the middle lane).

Stop at the next light and the M coupe pulls up next to me again. Light turns green and I pull away kind of slowly thinking he's not interested in racing when I hear him get on it so I immediately WOT ... At this point we're about even but after I shifted into 2nd (and presumably he shifts as well somewhere around there), I pulled about 1/2 a car. When I shifted into 3rd though he started pulling back to almost even until I presume he had to shift into 3rd ... after that he never caught back up, by the time I shut down I was probably 1-2 cars ahead but I'm not sure if thats cuz he shut down before I did.

In any case, it was a good race ... I'm assuming it came down mostly to driver skill, although I don't think I'm the best driver out there.

BTW- If anyone cares, I have an intake (AEM v2), and exhaust (Super Sprint cat-back), no other performance mods.
Several tell tale signs of the S52 (240hp) and the S54 (315 hp)

1) Curved M Badges on the rear.

2) Chrome shadow rims vs. Silver rims.

3) Chrome outline on the rear view mirror. Also it is egged shaped liked the new M3's

4) Exhaust note. If it rattles, its S54. If its deep and no rasp, its S52.

5) Color. If its Laguna Seca blue, like mine. Phoenix Yellow or Steel Gray, it is the newer one.

GOod run!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice run.

I ran a board member here with similar mods to yours a long time ago.

From a dig, I would put a car or so on and continue to walk away as speeds increased. Multiple runs, same results.

The other S2k's I ran into where similar, the S52 M coupe slowly walks regarldess of speed. The S54 -- well it runs away.