S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

AP1 vs SKY(Turbo)

Old 03-08-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 vs SKY(Turbo)

Last weekend I was coming back from Jacksonville, Fl. Traveling on I-95. This red Saturn sky pulls up next to me. Both of us had the top down. I could barely hear the little turbo spooling up. I grinned at him.

We did three rolling runs before we decided who had the fastest car. On the first he just dumped it and i saw the lil cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust before i dropped it into third doing about 65. I started chasing him. We got up to about 100 before he pulled back. On the second run he was like 1-2 car lengths behind me and i hear him floor it again so i drop into 4th at like 75-80. Thinking he's behind me he wont be able to catch up. He did thou till like at 90 then i started catching up. Until traffic slowed us down again. By this time I was furious, a damm sky is thinking he can mess with me.

After we come arournd the traffic Hes in the left lane and im in the mid-lane. I look over at him doing about 60-70. Due to me having an exhaust i let off to get ready to downshift into third. This time we both were side by side and take off at the same time. I start climbing to red line in third he held me off till like 7500 rpm before i snatched into 4th and pulled a whole car lenght in front of him. All through fourth i put 2-3 car legths on him. Once i got to fifth we were doing about 130-140 and he was still falling back i let off at 5th Redlining. Right befor I got to my exit. I waved at him and he waves back.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Last weekend I was coming back from Jacksonville, Fl. Traveling on I-95. This red Saturn sky pulls up next to me. Both of us had the top down. I could barely hear the little turbo spooling up. I grinned at him.

We did three rolling runs before we decided who had the fastest car. On the first he just dumped it and i saw the lil cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust before i dropped it into third doing about 65. I started chasing him. We got up to about 100 before he pulled back. On the second run he was like 1-2 car lengths behind me and i hear him floor it again so i drop into 4th at like 75-80. Thinking he's behind me he wont be able to catch up. He did thou till like at 90 then i started catching up. Until traffic slowed us down again. By this time I was furious, a damm sky is thinking he can mess with me.

After we come arournd the traffic Hes in the left lane and im in the mid-lane. I look over at him doing about 60-70. Due to me having an exhaust i let off to get ready to downshift into third. This time we both were side by side and take off at the same time. I start climbing to red line in third he held me off till like 8500 rpm before i snatched into 4th and pulled a whole car lenght in front of him. All through fourth i put 2-3 car legths on him. Once i got to fifth we were doing about 130-140 and he was still falling back i let off at 5th Redlining. Right befor I got to my exit. I waved at him and he waves back.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 AM

its a saturn boo
Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM

I dont think he was turbo, unless your also forced induction, im pretty sure a turbo sky as crappy as they are could take an s2k.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock horse on a Sky Turbo is 260 to the crank and has more torque. Unless he is a horrible driving while rolling.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM

believe it or not the Sky redline and the S2000 are almost identical in straight line speed. Its pretty much a drivers race. 5.5 0-60 for the Sky and a 14 second quarter. That in a nutshell is also the s2k. (again depending on driver)
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Both cars trap 96-98mph in the 1/4 mi. It would definitely be a driver's race. I do believe that from a roll the S2k would have the advantage up top. Apparently the sky has aerodynamic problems causing drag at higher speeds. The car is drag limited to 141mph. I know I have personally had my car up to 158mph on an empty highway and still had room to climb (I was too scared to keep going lol). Car and Driver reported that they ran a 14.0@98mph and also reported a 0-100mph time of 14.7s. That right there proves the drag comment.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:16 PM

that, and the sky redline weighs some 180 pounds more...a stock sky only has 177 hp...lame
Old 03-09-2008, 06:04 AM

A non-turbo sky would have fallen so far back on the first run, the next 2 wouldnt have even been needed. They are nice looking cars, though. I havent driven one, but I have sat in a few. Do yourself a favor and at least go and sit in one like I did. The cockpit is bigger, but thats where the good things end. Believe me, you'll appreciate your S all the more. Seats feel like an old sponge coverd in vinyl ans the fit and finish is marginal. The S is just so much more race-inspired, its a difference you see right away. I get the impression they would be a nice car for people who just want to cruise with the top down and do some occassional spirted driving.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:09 AM

With equal drivers, the S will always win. I've raced a buddies Redline from a dig, roll, etc. It's more apparent on the hiway where I can pull substantially on him.

Nice runs.

Quick Reply: AP1 vs SKY(Turbo)