S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

another Z race

Old 10-22-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hyper-X
Old 10-22-2003, 09:35 PM

Shir, I believe we were all trying to have a civilized conversation here, no arguing with each other.

As a Z owner, and having driving a few S2k's, I also believe it is a drivers race.

"Some of you guys are so insecured about how slow your cars are" yeah right, if the s2k is slow then a z06 is just decent, and the Z is slow too.

On another note, today I was on the freeway and there was an s2k in front of me. He gunned it when the traffic cleared up and I followed. I did have to let off the gas to keep from getting to close since I was right behind him. But the Z does shine on the freeway. (Not saying that is how it would happen everytime, or that it was even a race, just a little fun.)
Old 10-22-2003, 09:40 PM

"Handling is no contest, the S2k would eat it up in the corners."

I don't agree with that. Some of you might think that I am saying this because I own a Z, but i honestly can't say I think that is true at all. Again, even in the turns, I think it will come down to the driver. With the coupe at least.

"For the record SHIRI, I really don't care if anyone is faster than I am... I seriously don't. I can't drive around worrying about who'd hand me my ass and spend all of my $$$ into upping the power and such. The faster car isn't necessarily the better car. By what you seem to be implying, we should all ditch our S2000's and trade them in for the 350Z's. I've driven both, I like the S much better... IMO, it's closer to having total balanced performance. "

This is well said, opinions are opinions but I agree, who care so long as you love your car. But from what I get from him is not that you shoudl all ditch your s2k's for Z's, but for SRT-4's or Camaro SS's or something.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

350Z
3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
HP 287 hp @ 6,200 rpm
TQ 274 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
Curb Weight (lbs.) 3,189-3,239

MY04-S2000
2.2-liter DOHC 16-Valve VTEC
HP 240 @ 7800
TQ 162 @ 6500
Curb Weight (lbs.) 2835

MY03-S2000
2.0-liter DOHC 16-Valve VTEC
HP 240 @ 8300
TQ 153 @ 7500
Curb Weight (lbs.) 2809

Back to my classification of vehicles, they aren't the same. Sure the Z weighs more but it's got a bigger motor. It's not the HP that the Z kills the S with, it's that damn TQ, you're just not going to get that TQ out of a 4 banger.

For what it is, the S2000 does quite well against the Z even if it's a loss in a race. Give the Z an I4 at 2.0 liters and see what happens...
Old 10-22-2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
it's that damn TQ, you're just not going to get that TQ out of a 4 banger.
see: turbo 4-cyl; ie sti, evo, srt-4, and modded DSMs. however, you surely wont get that out of a n/a.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:07 PM

your not going to get the power sti's evos' and dsm's can get either out of a s2k, turbo charged or not. I am sure s2k owners agree. (Noooo flames intended) Just backing up what 3ng said.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by JsnS2k
"Handling is no contest, the S2k would eat it up in the corners."

I don't agree with that. Some of you might think that I am saying this because I own a Z, but i honestly can't say I think that is true at all. Again, even in the turns, I think it will come down to the driver. With the coupe at least.
Good call on my comments. Perhaps I need to clarify a little more regarding what I intended to communicate (my apologies). My intent was not to state that the Z sucked at cornering, that is hardly the case.

My post commented about how the performance of both cars are very close, especially with the verts, and the edge going to the hardtop Z during drag style to races from rolls. Those kinds of performance results are close, but the larger differences are found in the cornering ability of both cars.

The enormous effort Nissan made with stiffening up the underside of the Z is amazing. The top stabilizer and the massive integrated rear stiffening bar are proof that someone's out there to make a really good car.

Regardless of the obvious differences of both of these cars, they cannot defy the laws of physics. A heavier car will have to deal with understeer in a greater degree than a lighter car. For example, a 200HP AE86, modified to a level similar to the 350Z/S2000 in regards to suspension, brakes, tires and such would be able to maintain more speed (more likely a higher degree of speed) while in a medium to long corner like on a track. To put this into simple and crude terms, assuming all other things being equal, the larger/heavier car won't hold it's speed in the corner versus the lighter car.

The size of the car also plays a role for obvious reasons. The S2000 being smaller will have more choices when it comes to choosing your driving lines in an autocross-like situation. A larger car will have less choices in regards to it's driving lines since it occupies more space on the course.

So what does this all mean? In a straight-line battle, power plays a very large factor to determine who wins. In a track situation, the races are won and lost in the corners. Considering the Z and the S2000 are pretty close in terms of straight line performance, the car that can exit corners with more speed will win. Even if the Z would out accelerate the S2k from a dead stop, if the S2000 exits the corner 3-5mph faster than the Z, the S2000 will be faster for every single foot of the straightaway going into the entry of the next corner. That may more than compensate for the difference in power.

This is true for the S2000 versus the 350Z. The S although being underpowered compared to the 3.5L 350Z, it's lighter and IMO has superior suspension tuning from the factory and would be able to inch up or away from the Z in the corners, depending on its position. Again I'm only referring to completely stock vehicles, unmodded in any way with drivers of equal skill.

Sorry for the bad choice of words. I think SHIRI's comment(s) made me say stuff I shouldn't have.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JsnS2k
your not going to get the power sti's evos' and dsm's can get either out of a s2k, turbo charged or not. I am sure s2k owners agree. (Noooo flames intended) Just backing up what 3ng said.
I'm not a big fan of the STi. I like the older wrx design better. And I hate the subaru transmission feel. Plus I hate more is that the STi is mod unfriendly(at least for now).

The Evo on the other hand... Now that's a bad boy. Very very bad boy. It drives so nimble and handles like a s2000. Only difference is it's packing so much power. One member on here who also own a Evo have already ran 12.9 STOCK. The only thing is the look of the Evo is no where near the S. Also the s2000 is just too much fun to drive. But Evo is one of those car that is built around performance. Straight or corners.

Anyways, back to the subject. Jayhawker probably never thought how interesting this thread would get.

I still think it's a good kill. This is just a begining for the hunting season. Next few years, they will hunt us. And guys like 3ngin33r1, Jayhawker will have a few suprises.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:41 PM

I considered picking up an Evo8 before choosing the S2000.

The appearance doesn't bother me, if it's ugly to some... then it's a fast ugly car. I preferred that Mitsubishi would bring down the J-Spec, with AYC/ACD and 6spd MT. The Evo from what I've seen are very nimble even without the AYC/ACD and its aggressive gearing allows for quick accleration.

My decision was made when local dealerships wanted over 41k for the Evo8, no negotiations. Only recently did the word pass by me saying how Mitsubishi is now accepting 38k offers. Still too rich for my blood. They refused to let me test drive the car 2 weeks after it came out without a $5000 deposit (I have 2 other peole who were with me when I heard this). My S2000 was acquired used, with 7500 miles in very good condition. Never regretted the purchase.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st week the Evo was on sale down here. They were going for $5,000 over msrp.

3rd week the Evo was on sale. They went down to $500 under MSRP

I like the way the Evo 8 look. Especially better with the CF wing and the Evo 7 taillights. But the s2000 just look better.

I heard a rumor somewhere. The Evo 8 is going to come out with the GSR edition. 6 spd

Quick Reply: another Z race