S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Another street racing death in Canoga Park

Old 07-01-2003 | 10:35 AM

Default Another street racing death in Canoga Park

From the Los Angeles Daily News:

Passenger dead after street race

By Ryan Oliver
Staff Writer

CANOGA PARK -- One person was killed and two injured Monday night in the third street racing-related fatality in two weeks, officials said.

The San Fernando Valley's top traffic cop pointed to the movie "2 Fast 2 Furious" as a factor in the recent street-racing deaths. The movie, released last month, is said by police to glamorize the import street-racing scene.

"I don't remember any street-racing deaths in the Valley during the past few years until now," Los Angeles Police Department Capt. Greg Meyer said. "I think there's a point we just have to acknowledge there's a movie that came out a few weeks ago that is causing the problem."

Monday night's crash was reported about 9:45 p.m. when one of two cars racing north on Winnetka Avenue slammed into a vehicle turning left onto Roscoe Boulevard from southbound Winnetka, officials said.

Meyer said the passenger of the street racer was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver and a person in the other car were taken to area hospitals. Their conditions were unknown late Monday.

The driver of the second street-racing vehicle initially left the scene but later returned, police said.

On June 19, two teens were killed while racing in Sun Valley when their Acura careened out of control and into a utility pole. On June 1, a 78-year-old man was killed in Granada Hills when his car was hit broadside by another vehicle traveling 100 mph on Rinaldi Street. Police said the speedster had just left the movie "2 Fast 2 Furious" when the crash occurred.

Days later, three people were injured while racing a sport utility vehicle.

---------------------------

Ironically, the local authority are blaming the movie (2F2F) for these occurances of street racing fatalities. Pretty soon they will blame T3 for murders and placing blame on the Matrix for people jumping off buildings. It surprises me how the police department are placing blame on movies as their alliby.
Old 07-01-2003 | 11:01 AM

Originally posted by S4_dukar

The San Fernando Valley's top traffic cop pointed to the movie "2 Fast 2 Furious" as a factor in the recent street-racing deaths. The movie, released last month, is said by police to glamorize the import street-racing scene.
Ghey..

I think I'll go watch Hanibal and eat me some people...
Old 07-01-2003 | 01:06 PM

Well, screw that then! Im watching wild things and having me a three some!
Old 07-01-2003 | 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Pakisho
Well, screw that then! Im watching wild things and having me a three some!
LOL, been there...
Old 07-01-2003 | 03:07 PM

MATRIX baby!! It's all about the MATRIX
Old 07-01-2003 | 03:23 PM

banghead: People are just stupid! Why the f@#@ would you race on a busy street? There are times and places for that.
Old 07-01-2003 | 03:39 PM
kvn

what about Gone in 60 seconds.. did more carjacks come outta that movie?
Old 07-01-2003 | 03:49 PM

What makes this goober the SFV's top traffic cop? Did he win a doughnut eating contest or what?

"a movie...is causing the problem" Gee, guess the driver had no choice. Grrrr...
Old 07-01-2003 | 04:12 PM

Someone died this weekend again in Miami on us1 and 17th after a street racer lost control and took out two trees and a light post. How fast do you think he was going?????
Old 07-01-2003 | 04:40 PM

Originally posted by F1s2000
Someone died this weekend again in Miami on us1 and 17th after a street racer lost control and took out two trees and a light post. How fast do you think he was going?????
Probably just as fast as the guy who took out a pedestrian doing a 130+ mph.

Quick Reply: Another street racing death in Canoga Park