S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

436ci Vette 40-180 video

Old 12-15-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kumar75150

Wow that hurts.

I tell you what tough guy, as soon as you're even old enough to buy a drink in this country I'll take you a little more seriously. .

That's probably not fair to others your age who are more mature than you but anyone who supports 180mph driving on public roads is not only immature but should consider getting a dose of reality once he finally graduates college and joins the real world.

to you and "your" Z06 and S2K
Old 12-15-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Da Hapa
[B]

Hey Noobie -

As soon as you've been around here for more than maybe one week, feel free to give me advice.

Until then, I'll be glad to stay on my high horse.

Racing belongs on the track.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:29 AM

Please try to calm down Da Hapa. People that drive to such excess on public roads with other cars on the road simply have to realize the stupidity of the act on their own. Do you honestly think that your lecturing will turn everyone away from racing on a public road?

It is not your responsibility to make sure that the streets are free from street racing. I have also lost very close family to traffic accidents (drunk driver), and am sorry for your and everyone's losses. You might be better able to spread your word of safety by keeping personal attacks to yourself though.

On a side note, I am certain that I would be safer driving my s2k at 100 mph down the freeway, then most people talking on their cell phone, changing cds, and watching dvds at 60 mph. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Shouldn't this thread be in street encounters?
Old 12-15-2002, 10:29 AM
Former Moderator

I'm putting this in street encounters where all the other kids hang out..

Instead of adding my view to this thread, I'll just say I agree with Da Hapa 100%
Old 12-15-2002, 11:47 AM

Sounds like someone is hanging in the wrong forum on this site.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sloowgt
[B]
Old 12-15-2002, 04:40 PM

To all:

I apologize for the fact that I lashed out at a few individuals for condoning and celebrating behaviour that I still maintain is assinine. Although my feelings haven't changed on the subject, I regret the fact that I let a moment of immaturity drive the manner in which I made my point known.

For the record, nobody on this board, from members that have been here years to people who just joined deserved to be personally attacked. Nobody deserves to be called names. Nobody deserves to be told that their opinion is insignificant or that their thoughts are worthless. My immature responses to this thread make me guilty of many of these things and I apologize, here publically, to you all. I'm sorry.

I still honestly think that it is unbelievably selfish to get onto a public highway at these kinds of speeds. Yes, we all love cars. Yes, we're lucky enough to be living in a true high mark time for sports cars. Yes, I have been known to go 65 in a 55 or 42 in a 35. I'm not innocent. But I would never, ever, ever think that going 180 mph on a public highway is a good idea. NEVER.

A few of you have reached out to me personally via pm and I appreciate your efforts to do so. Instead of responding one at a time, I thought it better to try and better make my position known here publically.

I seriously doubt that I'm going to change anyone's minds about driving 100+ mph on public roads. I do hope that maybe I can get you to stop and think though.

There's a time and a place to exercise these cars. Its the racetrack. Only on the racetrack do you remove innocent bystanders from the equation. If you haven't driven your car on a racetrack or autocross course, you owe it to yourself to do so. Its a learning experience you won't ever forget and its there that you can probe the limit of your car and only there that you realize how little it takes to "go wrong" for you to lose control of your car.

A blowout, a deer in the road, some knucklehead swerving into your lane, spilled coolant, the list goes on... There are so many things that can go wrong (let alone driving error). And when you lose control on the public highway you put my life, my family's lives and the lives of your neighbors at risk. It just isn't worth it guys and gals.

Some of you have told me that we each make our own choices and those that chose to race like this must live with it. I agree, but I think you miss one crucial point. The innocent people. As I stated, I've lost family and friends (yes both) in car accidents. Drunk driving and excessive speeds. My friends and family live with that every day of our lives. So do the people that made these "choices". Simply put, I don't believe that anyone should be allowed to make those kinds of choices for anyone else but themselves but every time you decide that going 120mph on a public highway you're in effect deciding that the joy that you get from racing your car is a good enough reward to offset the potential harm that you may cause on those sharing the road with you.

Yes, accidents happen. Even at "safe", legal speeds. I know that. But if we as car enthusiasts could even prevent one more family in the US from feeling the pain of losing a loved one by racing on the track and not the streets, wouldn't it be worth it???

All I ask is that you stop and think. You can't change my mind about street racing and I doubt I'm going to change yours. I just hope you think it through better.

And again, I offer my sincere apologies to everyone that I lashed out at. I hope its obvious that this is a topic that I hold very dear to my heart. As such, I occassionally act out of emotion and don't act like the mature man that I try and be. My earlier posts are shining examples of my failings as such. I'm not proud of it and hope that you can forgive my acts of stupidity and see my sincere concern for you and yours.

Christian
Old 12-15-2002, 05:37 PM

There is of course another form of street racing that most of us call a "group drive". In these "group drives" everyone gets in their sports car and drives somewhere as a group for upwards of several hours. Canyon carving and high speed country roads are often frequented in such trips. Never, and I mean never, have I been on a group drive and not seen each and every driver double the speed limit at least once. I never see people posting on the many group drive threads, or the local PDX and Seattle threads about how our driving is reckless, irresponsible, or immature, but in effect, we are doing the same thing. Surely we are not getting up to 180 mph on straightaways in the mountains, but the runs are always quite spirited. Are large groups of S2ks the only autos/people to visit the areas we drive? Of course not. I have been on group drives with board members here that have spoken out extensively against street racing, yet they have no problem leading the way in a massive 15+ member group drive where there seems to be a "speed minimum" encouraged rather than a speed limit.

I just think that intolerance for excess speeding on public roads should be fair across the board, giving no exceptions, regarless of attendance. (This doesn't mean that I will stop going on group drives though)

Da Hapa, you are right...innocent people deserve to be safe, and we need not make the choice of their safety for them.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:20 PM
N8R

Da Hapa,

Thank you...well spoken sir.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:31 PM
Former Moderator

I've hosted many group drives..

true the speed limit is exceeded..many times..I speed on the way to work everyday..that isn't quite the point..I don't go 200 kph on the highway.

I say the same thing before every group drive, I'm sure that most of our club is tired of hearing it....

"This is not a race, please drive at a comfortable level for YOU, we will drive at such a rate that the slowest driver is perfectly comfortable. If someone drives in such a manner that it may cause a problem that person will be asked to leave the group.
We are all freinds here, but if you decide to trash my car because you want to show off, we won't be freinds anymore"

We can have just as much fun on a nice spirited cruise as we can trying to make it to the stop sign the fastest..On top of that, we all drive the same car..we all know its fast, trying to show off is kinda pointless...

and as an aside, it seems that the few that think they are gods gift to driving, and are usually the most aggresive drivers of the bunch never, and I mean NEVER come to many of the track days we attend...what does that say?

thats my take on it anyway

Quick Reply: 436ci Vette 40-180 video