S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

350z vs s2000

Old 01-14-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are clean cars! I have to disagree with you on the highway speeds, I had stock Z's pull away from me at higher speeds, slow but still. I think aerodynamics play a huge roll in that. I also never had a chance to race an S with my Z .
Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 PM

if auto Z's are cracking 13'z stock then I doubt that u can say the auto is slow.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z33 KRN,Jan 14 2006, 02:02 PM
if auto Z's are cracking 13'z stock then I doubt that u can say the auto is slow.
i am sorry but i am just about going to have to see that with my own eyes th believe that. judging by the way a just pound on a auto z, it just hard to accept.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 AM

would u like me to post my 13.9 bone stock 1/4 time? like i said most people that drive a 350z;s with an auto dont know how to drive it. they usually just mash the gas an go. ive seen people do this and run 14.5-15.2 doing this so i dont doubt u will murder 99% of them but properly driven an auto can pull as hard as a manual until triple digits cause of gearing. Reasons why the auto will be very slow when just mashed down on the gas. Im not exactly sure what the reason is, but our autos are supposedly very high tech and work with the ecu constantly.
1. The automatic in auto mode shifts around 300 or so rpm's sooner than it is supposed to from red line.
2. When the gas is mashed the gear that the auto will shift to depends on how you have been driving he car consistantly. Meaning, if u are a driver that loves to gun it at 45-50 mph the auto will actually shift to second like its supposed to, but if you usually take it easy it will shift it to 3rd. (I have no idea how this works but there was a thread about it on the 350z forum)
3. The auto actually revs higher than the manual. Me, along with a few other members that like to push our autos all the time have noticed that the auto in manual mode will rev around 200-300 rpm's into redline in every gear. i know it doesnt seem like much but it makes a difference in the higher gears os that u are dropping into a better rpm range.

anyways im not here to say my car is faster than yours or have a huge debate. Just want to educate on the potential abilities of the car. come down to jersey during spring and ill show anyone that wants to see an auto crack 13'z at the drag strip. Gnite folks.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:24 AM

Hooked on Physics

4. Bench racing in a vacuum. Overlooking the obvious inefficiencies of the auto (vs manual) how does a driver make up for less torque?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Z33 KRN,Jan 15 2006, 08:02 AM
I know everyone hates mag times, but from what I've seen in an auto vs manual comparo there isn't much of a difference between the auto/manual 350Z's, at least in the 1/4 mile. The auto's are 'usually' timed slower, but its negligible...like around one tenth of a second.

As for the S2K Vs 350z, even as it gets. I'd say that the 350z is a lot easier to drive quickly though, as opposed to the S2K. Put a n00b in both, and the Zed should pull away very convincingly. Having had extensive seat time in a 350z (3mths), it 'feels' a lot quicker than an S2K down low, but we all know how mis-leading butt dynoes are.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eluded,Jan 15 2006, 07:24 AM
Hooked on Physics

4. Bench racing in a vacuum. Overlooking the obvious inefficiencies of the auto (vs manual) how does a driver make up for less torque?
i dont know what ur tryin to say since its been proven if driven properly that an auto can run just as fast or faster overall to the manual since there is alot less room for error(on my350z). The drive trainloss maybe alittle bit greater in the auto but overall it isnt hurting the car that much. i mean u guys say autos are slow but i raced an Ap2 from 20-120 and pulled around 4 cars on it. I have intake test pipes exhaust as mods(along with me having 150 pound sound system in the car which makes up for the passenger in the s2k). the ap2 also had atleast an exhaust. so the auto also needs a driver that knows what hes doing. i mean for all i know the guy in the s2k has no idea what hes doing anyways but i do run 13.6- 13.8 at the track trapping 102 so that means that I should beat most s2k's so I dont wanna hear any of the, oh if he was a better driver blah blah.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Dont the autos have a different final drive? my best friend said that alot of guys sway the auto and manual rear ends. this could make a diff. for you auto guys. I think hes just gonna do aps twins and call it a day.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:59 AM

some manual people want the 3.4.5 gears of the auto since they are longer they dont have to shift as early in a FI car. Alot of people were complaining about having to shift at the end of a drag strip into 5th so i believe the fix was to get the gears from an auto so that te gears are slightl longer. some auto people have switched to the manual gears but i see it as a mod that u could use if u wanna stay NA but once u get FI u want the longer gears since u dont wana be shifting every 2 seconds.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Not to step on any toes, but all this talk about aerodynamics of the z being better,
how is that? Has any one looked in to this or is it just implied. I still have yet to see any proof that one is better than the other. I know the air is going to roll of the roof of the the z better but it also would smash in to the huge front end causing more drag. Im not an expert, but just wanted to know?

Chris

Quick Reply: 350z vs s2000