S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

350z vs s2000

Old 01-08-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowS2kPwr,Jan 8 2006, 03:29 AM
Would you care to show me some timeslips of a stock 350z hitting 13.5s? Just curious
likewise. i'd love to see timeslips and video of a bone stock 350Z hitting 13.5
Old 01-08-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

13.7 I believe is the fastest stock Z on record. 13.6 for the S2k (was that AP2?)
Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 AM

an ap1 and an ap2 have hit 13.6. but with only 2 people having done it, i don't think we can claim the S2000 as a 13.6 car. where as a handful of people have had 13.7-13.8.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lemme go and find it, I know that a stock auto hit 13.6'z and im pretty sure I Saw a 13.5 posted by a manual. Another thing that u guys should note, please dont compare the newer 350z to the 2003-2005'z... they completely botched the car and added another 200 pounds to it and less torque... sigh what were they thinking..
Old 01-08-2006, 12:41 PM

bah... dont want u guys to say bs or anything... but my350z switch servers and they cleaned out all thier old threads. There are no more of the old slips left. kinda of annoying. is u dont wish 2 believe me its okay. Another thing I think the 13.5 was ran with a jwt pop charger, if u even consider that a mod since it adds like 1-2 hp.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Thanks for being civil everyone. I'm not here for flames. I like both cars a lot. They compare well together. As with any car, both cars have strengths and weaknesses. Personally I would take the s2000 to an autoX and the 350z to a road race.

Comparing other peoples quarter mile times on paper doesn't mean much to me. Track conditions make any paper comparison futile unless the runs were at the same location at roughly the same time. When those conditions are met and both cars are ran to their maximum potential the Z should be a bit faster in the quarter. An sti will rape a 350z in the quarter mile, but only because its drivetrain allows a superior launch. From a roll or around a track it's a completely different story unless it's raining. Does that make the sti faster than a Z just because it launches faster, or because it has a faster quarter mile? I guess it depends on who you ask, or what you plan on doing.

To be even more specific about weight, weight is always a factor of acceleration! It just becomes *less* of a factor as speeds increase. That's because as speeds increase the engine is increasingly battling aerodynamic forces rather than just the weight of the vehicle. That doesn't mean weight is not a factor anymore. Power to weight only changes as the engines output changes. 3188 pounds is still 3188 pounds to move forward regardless of your speed. Less weight to move forward means more power to devote to breaking through the air. Lighten your car and it will give you more top end with the same amount of power.

It's not just a matter of who has more power, or who is lightest, or who has the best aerodynamics. It's a combination of major variables..

The 350z has considerably better aerodynamics and more hp/tq to weight, so it should be no surprise to anyone that it's got more up top. To me what's more surprising is how well the s2000 hangs down low. When you take a look at gearing differences it all makes sense.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zulater,Jan 8 2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for being civil everyone. I'm not here for flames. I like both cars a lot. They compare well together. As with any car, both cars have strengths and weaknesses. Personally I would take the s2000 to an autoX and the 350z to a road race.

Comparing other peoples quarter mile times on paper doesn't mean much to me. Track conditions make any paper comparison futile unless the runs were at the same location at roughly the same time. When those conditions are met and both cars are ran to their maximum potential the Z should be a bit faster in the quarter. An sti will rape a 350z in the quarter mile, but only because its drivetrain allows a superior launch. From a roll or around a track it's a completely different story unless it's raining. Does that make the sti faster than a Z just because it launches faster, or because it has a faster quarter mile? I guess it depends on who you ask, or what you plan on doing.

To be even more specific about weight, weight is always a factor of acceleration! It just becomes *less* of a factor as speeds increase. That's because as speeds increase the engine is increasingly battling aerodynamic forces rather than just the weight of the vehicle. That doesn't mean weight is not a factor anymore. Power to weight only changes as the engines output changes. 3188 pounds is still 3188 pounds to move forward regardless of your speed. Less weight to move forward means more power to devote to breaking through the air. Lighten your car and it will give you more top end with the same amount of power.

It's not just a matter of who has more power, or who is lightest, or who has the best aerodynamics. It's a combination of major variables..

The 350z has considerably better aerodynamics and more hp/tq to weight, so it should be no surprise to anyone that it's got more up top. To me what's more surprising is how well the s2000 hangs down low. When you take a look at gearing differences it all makes sense.
Duh
Old 01-08-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by zulater,Jan 8 2006, 03:43 PM
When those conditions are met and both cars are ran to their maximum potential the Z should be a bit faster in the quarter.
and this is why the flame wars start. you make statements like this that simply aren't true. both cars are capable of running about the exact same times dead on given the best drivers in the same conditions. period. unless you can come up with some bone stock 13.5 timeslips, don't even bother saying otherwise, because you simply don't have the proof.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by zulater,Jan 8 2006, 03:43 PM
3188 pounds is still 3188 pounds to move forward regardless of your speed. Less weight to move forward means more power to devote to breaking through the air. Lighten your car and it will give you more top end with the same amount of power.
this is where you continue to be wrong. as you increase your speed, weight becomes less significant. lightening your car will not really give you more top end. when your car is fighting aerodynamics more than weight, the weight has become extremely insignificant.

take a car that has a top speed of 150mph due to drag limitation, and weighs 3000 pounds.

now add another 500 pounds. guess what, the car's top speed will still be 150mph.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=zulater,Jan 8 2006, 03:43 PM]
The 350z has considerably better aerodynamics and more hp/tq to weight, so it should be no surprise to anyone that it's got more up top.

Quick Reply: 350z vs s2000