S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

2004 M3 vs 03 SVT Cobra

Old 06-28-2004, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bro... I can assure you he was stock...! I wouldn't mess around with a modded SVT Cobra... I'd just cruise and let it be.

Although, with exhaust mods, and my car dropped... then we'll see what kind of quarter mile time I get... My buddy has a shop and had a list of parts that would get me into the 12's basically full exhaust, intake, and Eurobahn Software... unfortunately I already have the Dinan but I'll see if I can still make it work.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, ditch the dinan......the most important thing is the launch for you. Once you get the car dropped and an intake with a good launch you should be around 12.7-12.9. Good luck buddy.....M3's are just bada$$.....
Old 06-28-2004, 06:30 PM

Thank God for insurance... I'll just buy something better.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by badm3777
dude, ditch the dinan......the most important thing is the launch for you. Once you get the car dropped and an intake with a good launch you should be around 12.7-12.9. Good luck buddy.....M3's are just bada$$.....
Hopefully... I heard the same from my buddy, his cousin has an SMG with UUC exhaust, Gruppe M intake, etc. etc. he's in that range. Thanks bro.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

people should be kicked in the nuts for having a stock 03 Cobra or Supra TT
Old 06-28-2004, 07:08 PM

hell yah... I see a ton of stock cobras, but what the hell, add a pulley and intake or something. Maybe there is a stock cobra driver here that can shed some light on the stupidity.......
Old 06-28-2004, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kumar75150
people should be kicked in the nuts for having a stock 03 Cobra or Supra TT
Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 PM

I live in Everett and have a 100% stock(the pulley shroud has been removed) 03 Cobra coupe. I'd like to run a new M3 and see what happens..

Old 12-06-2004, 01:16 PM

The Cobra traps about 7mph faster than the M3 as does the C5 and the C5 is considerably lighter. Give me a Cobra or a C5 and I'll hand any M3 it's ass mod for mod. Good run Bill but I'm gonna have to say the Cobra owner couldn't drive. Even bone stock the 03 Cobra pulls like a monster in 3rd and pretty hard through 4th which is good for about 140mph. I know anything can happen on the street but the Cobra and M3 weigh about the same and the Cobra has 100RWHP advantage and an even bigger torque advantage. Given equal drivers there is no question who wins the race. I remember when people thought they were hanging with me in my Cobra but when I finally caught traction somewhere in 3rd gear they realized that wasn't really the case. Also...ditch the Dinan software and get the Eurobahn. I recently had the Eurobahn software installed and you should definitely notice a difference. I had a hardtime believing that Matthews picked up 2mph w/ Eurobahn but I believe it now. Eurobahn software is the best bang for your buck mod there is for the M3.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:26 PM

I can certainly understand the love for your M3, but honestly, this is a bit far fetched IF you believe the Cobra was running at it's best. There are stock (lol...yes stock) 03+Cobra's and E46 M3's in our group of friends and there is never a contest...not even close and they race often. For some reason, the M3 guys just can't accept that they are outclassed in straight line speed, from any gear. The ONLY time an M3 even comes close is if the Cobra spins excessively, which is common even in 3rd gear. We often swap cars and race too, but the outcome is virtually the same each time (small differences based on driver skill, but the Cobra has such an advantage even the average drivers pull away).

From reading numerous posts of your M3, I can see that you love your car. It def performs very well, but against a Cobra, a win can only result against a poor driver in a straight line, in most cases.

As with derryck, I've driven both on many occasions (he's owned the Cobra and currently has an M3) and I agree that there is a substantial difference between the two in a straight line. I wouldn't put money on a stock M3 over a stock Cobra, given even drivers, as I know it would disappear faster than the Cobra....

Quick Reply: 2004 M3 vs 03 SVT Cobra