S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

04 M3 vs S/C IS300

Old 06-09-2004, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Purple_sky
Old 06-09-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if its a properly running single turbo rx7 with a decent sized turbo, i would hope she can beat pretty much any stock car out there and should be trapping over 120.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by kumar75150
if its a properly running single turbo rx7 with a decent sized turbo, i would hope she can beat pretty much any stock car out there and should be trapping over 120.
If the BMW dealer will authorize a S/C setup I'll be bolting one on... F1 M3 should be nasty!!! I don't want to void my warranty. You saw the link to the Dinan E36 vs Modena right. btw Modena / black will be my next ride.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The triptronic on my friends IS can shift faster than anyone with a manual gearbox. There is no lag and on his stock wheels when he would shift the thing would get sideways so I don't know why you guys think that it is slower than a gearbox. It might also be that his is a racing tranny. And it is pretty sick! The guys in Formula cars use tiptronic on the steering wheel.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:12 AM

Please be specific... a regular RSX or a type S. I have raced many type S on the highway and while there's never any question as to who will win I certainly wouldn't pull 8 cars on them from 40-110. Probably more like 3 or 4 if I'm ready and waiting otherwise less. Many M3 owners can't run less than low 14's or high 13's in their M3...I have run consistent 13.0's at around 107mph with sub 2.xx 60' times being the key. I would be interested in seeing what YOU run in YOUR car in the quarter. Not sure how many miles you have in your car but the M3 is like the S2000 in that it gets faster as it gets more miles (up to a point of course). I agree the automatic IS 300 is slow but probably still a high 15 or low 16 sec car so your car should be about 2.5-3 secs faster in the quarter mile which DOES NOT equate to 8 car lengths. In addition to which you have lost your 0-40mph hole shot advantage and you're only running to 110 mph which is only about 3-4 mph faster than our quarter mile trap should be. Even the 'lesser' blown IS300's aren't very fast...that's the reason I only had my IS300 for a month and mine was a 5 speed. Nice M by the way...I thought I wanted Titanium Silver when I bought my 2nd one but I love Steel Grey and most that I see a Titanium but it's a beautiful car anyway. And most M3 don't dyno at 278 RWHP...some do but most dyno at less. Mine dyno'd a 271 RWHP with about 4K miles on it but it was 101 degrees when it was done.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 AM

under-rated, you have a nice car man. But believe me, if that rx7 runs 10's it will be the ugliest race you have witnessed. Your m3 might have 300 at the wheels if its lucky, with only 300 at the wheels your car really isnt as fast as you think. Go race a stock 03 cobra, better yet do it from a roll, and see what happens, then go race one with 500$ in mods, and see what happens. Im not trying to be offensive, but it just seems like you think the M3 is this big bad ass highway monster, and it is compared to many cars, but you just have to keep things in perspective. If someone tells you that you will race a 10 second rx7, its just stupid to think you will beat them on the highway. I wouldnt be suprised if a 10 second rx7 put more than 20 cars on you from a 30-120 roll. Sweet car anyways, and keep your racing safe, too many bad drivers out there.

silverWRX
Old 06-10-2004, 09:24 AM

Derreck, peace bro - I'm not trying to start shit! About the RSX, my buddy just got a type S (bone stock). M3 is low 13 car "stock" not 14, whoever hits a 14 should be shot!

After my mods, I'll take my M3 to the track... I'll hit a high 12 at least. I guarantee I would've been one of the faster s2000's if I took my 03 to the track, I've seen 13.8 all day long in the s2000... I'd see 13.0 flat in the M3 no problem.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by jeffxyan
The triptronic on my friends IS can shift faster than anyone with a manual gearbox. There is no lag and on his stock wheels when he would shift the thing would get sideways so I don't know why you guys think that it is slower than a gearbox. It might also be that his is a racing tranny. And it is pretty sick! The guys in Formula cars use tiptronic on the steering wheel.
You are wrong! The tiptronic in the IS300 is crap compared to the SMG and F1. In addition, IS's stock are gutless...

S/C S2000's have a hard enough time hitting mid / low 13's am I right... and everyone's gonna agree a tiptronic Automatic IS S/C not boosting to it's fullest potential will be fast as fuuuck Hell no... you have to be tuned to outrun a car that's already fast and properly tuned.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silverWRX
under-rated, you have a nice car man. But believe me, if that rx7 runs 10's it will be the ugliest race you have witnessed. Your m3 might have 300 at the wheels if its lucky, with only 300 at the wheels your car really isnt as fast as you think. Go race a stock 03 cobra, better yet do it from a roll, and see what happens, then go race one with 500$ in mods, and see what happens. Im not trying to be offensive, but it just seems like you think the M3 is this big bad ass highway monster, and it is compared to many cars, but you just have to keep things in perspective. If someone tells you that you will race a 10 second rx7, its just stupid to think you will beat them on the highway. I wouldnt be suprised if a 10 second rx7 put more than 20 cars on you from a 30-120 roll. Sweet car anyways, and keep your racing safe, too many bad drivers out there.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:50 PM

.. hey under_rated.. i'll put 4 cars or more on you to 0-110.. but from any roll speed to 110.. i'll put at least 2 on you =).. And this is a lightly modded evo .. but ur not going to put 8 cars on anything unless its a i4 camry or ur going past 130

Quick Reply: 04 M3 vs S/C IS300