S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

03 S2K vs 67 Bug!?!

Old 07-31-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 S2K vs 67 Bug!?!

Whats up guys, this is the hubby (Evil EVO) thought I would post since I was driving.

Last night were at the local cruise/race spot and were sitting at a light next to a 00+ Mustang GT convert and a bike pulls up and says "hey you wanna run my buddy. hes turbo", so im looking around and I say where is he, lol he was sitting next to me in an old bug, I was looking for a newer turbo car There were lots of cops out so I was kinda hesitant, but the guy in the Mustang says I'll race you, the guy in the bug says nah...I wanna race the S2K So I say ok why not. Well just as I start to look straight to get ready to go the light turns green so the Mustang and the Bug get the jump, once I hit v-tec I passed the Stang and couldnt gain any on the Bug. We went up to about mid 3rd and he was pulling so I shut down. I pulled up to him after that and I told him thats sweet, he just laughed, said he has a t3/t4 turbo and runs 12.2. We went again from a 2nd gear roll I was almost at 6K and same results he could pull a couple cars up to mid to top of 3rd.

The car is fast, but I dont think its a low 12 sec car, I have seen them run low 12's but he could only manage to put 2-3 cars on us in the 3 gears so I cant see it being a 12.2 bug, I dont know I could be wrong. Anyways It was pretty cool and the turbo sounded sweet spooling up. Well tonight we'll take the EVO out and see if we can get him off the line and keep it there

BTW...As for the Mustang I think we both hurt his pride...we didnt see him for the rest of the night Earlier he was showing off spinning his tires fishtailing down the street.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:24 PM

Great run man!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:32 PM

hehehe...yeah for who...him
Old 07-31-2004, 02:05 PM

remember one thing, this goes for everyone on here who races from mag numbers. ET is specifically derived from the launch. your number on paper is because of takeoff. so an LS1 may run 13.0s, but yet on a roll an S can keep up. why? an s has a horrible launch, yet youve seen S's with small bolt ons run mid 13s. that means it pulls WAY hard in the mid and top range. an aircooled vw is very light, and gets an ungodly launch. so its ETs are amazing. ive seen aircooleds at the track run 12.0 at 104mph. 12.0 in a turbo import is like 120 mph. why, the aircooled runs a short track race, while the turbo car runs a top end race. horrible launch with amazing top end, so if the two roll on, its very close. you were right on track with your story. i have an aircooled street car, ill just say this, at the 1/8th, im right near 100mph. it takes a mid 10 second car on slicks to put me down. hehe dont mess with the germans first born. laters peeps. dave
Old 07-31-2004, 04:41 PM

Sounds good to me...I have been debating on whether to mod the EVO or not (I've always had my eye on a Z06) anyways. I have been told with the mods I want for the EVO $2K It should pull low 12's, and yes that would be like 120 trap or slightly less.

On the way home I was telling Rachael (Quik S2K) I hate the S because of it's lack of torque (dont take this the wrong way anyone) I just hate when you floor it, if your not close to 6K your pretty much screwed if your racing a car with equal hp or more. Im seriously considering a SC for the S, after driving the EVO for a few weeks its hard to get used to not having torque.

Speaking of VW's...The Golf turbos supposed to be pretty quick on the freeway? I know I have heard of a few fast ones, just curious cuz I raced one on the freeway in the EVO and I could pull pretty good, I know he had an exhaust and a BOV but thats all I could hear, all I have is the catback and drop in filter.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:09 PM

Turbo bug, old school; meets new school. Those things are very fast. Poor little mustang...
Old 07-31-2004, 07:35 PM
dut

- my FIRST car was a 58 bug slow as dog shit though...
- anyways, if you see a bug... its either gonna be really fast or really slow
- I have seen 10 second bugs at my LOCAL track so beware
Old 07-31-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dut,Jul 31 2004, 07:35 PM
- anyways, if you see a bug... its either gonna be really fast or really slow
LOL, aint that the truth
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Jul 31 2004, 04:41 PM
Im seriously considering a SC for the S, after driving the EVO for a few weeks its hard to get used to not having torque.
Comptech and Vortec SC's are centrifugal types and won't help much in the way of low end torque.

I have a Comptech and it doesn't really start to build boost until about 4-5,000 rpm. Driving around town, flooring it at 2-3000 it feels just like an S with 50lb extra weight, a loose AC belt (the whine), and a CAI (the intake noise). However, when the VTEC cam hits, it really HITS. Awesome top end.

I'm very happy with the mod, just clarifying that it does not change the character of the car at all, it amplifies it.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Yeah we really need to ride in a SC'd S to see if its worth the money.

Quick Reply: 03 S2K vs 67 Bug!?!