S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

03 S2000 vs RX7

Old 05-12-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was coming home last night from a party and I encountered a stock looking black FD RX7(93+). We both got caught at the traffic light and he had his girl in the car. So obviously he had to show off his "mad skillz" and try to race me, revving his car a couple of times trying to intimidate me ooOOO.I usually don't street race but I was feeling pretty good and wanted to have fun. I told him I'd only race from a rolling start, because I never would drop the clutch, especially with the "weak" differential and all. Starting from about 5 mph in 1st, we both went at it. I immediately started pulling on him and executed perfect 1->2->3 shifts staying about 1 car lenght in front of him. I slam on my brakes(we were doing about 75 mph) as the speed limit was 55 mph. He flies by me even though it's obvious that I finished racing. He just drove off and never saw him again.

Anyways, I believe the FD RX7 puts out 255 hp stock from a rotary turbo engine. If the race continued, he would've obviously pulled on me(15 hp difference makes a difference) so I am going to conclude that it was a drivers race. A win is a win after all. This is the first time I've raced anyone in my s2000, and its nice to win the first time.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:38 AM

LOL, nice...I played with one in the EVO, but after pulling past him, he waved for me to slow down, so I did and got next to him and he's like" is that turbo" LOL, im like "ummm yeah" so I downshift getting ready for him to go and he says "oh, no I dont want to race" even though he was the one that was instigating earlier
Old 05-13-2004, 04:34 AM

They made 255hp around 10 years ago.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:07 AM

I would think from a 5mph roll he would take off on you. But like suvh8r said it is 10 yrs old.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And probably poorly maintained.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by LoudMusic
And probably poorly maintained.
possibly was. the car looked/sounded bone stock and was dirty as hell. you know, i'd love to have a rx7 but they are major headaches, at least they were for someone i know at work.

on the track, how does the s2000 handle compare to the rx7? i've read some japanese magazines and they say the handlng is comparable. what do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Evil EVO
LOL, nice...I played with one in the EVO, but after pulling past him, he waved for me to slow down, so I did and got next to him and he's like" is that turbo" LOL, im like "ummm yeah" so I downshift getting ready for him to go and he says "oh, no I dont want to race" even though he was the one that was instigating earlier

thats hilarious, poor guy had no idea
Old 05-13-2004, 01:37 PM

Rotary. Mechanical marvel but is known to not last very long. Nice race. Probabaly lots of fun. I can't find an FD to race around here. Let alone a stock one.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:41 PM

I ALMOST bought an RX-7, but after reading countless # of forums and stories from Rx-7 owners warning not to get this car as a DD and the engine will blow from 10k-70k miles. They had this one thread where people had engines blowing at freaking 10k miles and it was already on its 2nd or 3rd engine. The # of people posting about blown engines just scared me away lol. Mazada just put to much into performance while ignoring the reliablilty issue. Nice car, I saw a green one the other day but the reliablity is even worse than my old 300zxTT.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:01 PM

I've owned 2 rx7's now, and they have their good points and bad. Both mine were non-turbo 2nd gens (FC). The turbo version has some nice potential. The 3rd gen (FD) is a very nice car, with tons of potential to make HUGE gains. BUT...the engine is very prone to breaking the apex seals. If you get a rotary to last you 100k, you got a good one. Most, especially in the FD, only last roughly 80k. The handling is very comparable to the S2000, maybe even better. But...this car is 10 years old and if not maintained, will obviously suffer in the handling dept. They are holding their value rather well. I've heard rumors that Mazda will bring back the RX7, not 8, for 2006....in a convertible with 350 hp. mmmm

Quick Reply: 03 S2000 vs RX7