S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

01 s2000 vs. 92 mustang cobra

Old 01-25-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually i've owned an svt contour. it's a fun little car. Handled great and the engine was strong. some guys are putting down almost 500whp with a turbo. I had a blast with it and have been looking for another one that's in good shape to have as a beater.

I went from a 92 stang to that car and my buddies questioned it. but then i gave them a ride and they were impressed. Just about every mag loved it and it was labled the best handling sedan under $30k.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well...i was reading up on this interesting thread...i never had the chance to race a gt mustang. however, i was wondering..."would my "s" take a gt?"...?

plus, which models (GT/year/maybe cobras?) would we have a chance against?

-curious george.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well you need to be more specific. However for arguments sake, lets just say all cars are stock and driving skill is equal. Assume all cars are perfectly well maintained and in excellent running condition. I'm going to also limit my answer to drag racing as "from a roll" racing has even more variables. Also, I'm assuming all stangs in question are manual trannies, the auto's were dogs unless modded.

the S should handle all foxbody (for arguments sake 87-93 fox4) stangs with only the 93 cobra giving a good race.

The S should handle all sn95 mustang gt's (94-98). However there were a few changes some minor and some major to the SN95 platform. 94-95 had 5.0 engines which were as slow, if not slower then the foxbody 5.0's. starting in 96 the SN95 got the 4.6 modular v8 which bumped up the performance. 96-98 the gt's remained more or less the same.

99 came a new body style. The chassis was very similar to the SN95. It also got a performance bump which put them about equal to the early SN cobra's. but we'll get to the cobra's in a second. A properly driven S should be able to beat these stang gt's (99-04) but it will be a farely close race.

The current gt's should edge out an S.

In 01 there was the bullitt mustang that was basicly the same as the gt (very slight bump up in hp/tq) but wtih extra styling. performance was as expected the same (for arguments sake) as the gt.

in 03-04 they put out the mach 1. these are strong runners and will give an s a great run. driver skill will greatly effect a run with one of these where the stang has the edge (easier to run fast).

now for the cobras. as i said a 93 will give a good run but will/should loose. the 94-95 should be an easy kill as they were actually slower then the 93. the 96-98 cobra (modular 4.6), will run right next to the s. if not edge it out. like the mach 1, it's easier to drive fast. then came the infamous 99 cobra. it had issues from the factory that caused low power output. they actually recalled every 99 and did several fixes. after the recall work had been done they ran very strong. However, because of this recall, they didn't produce a cobra in 00. the (fixed) 99 and 01 should beat an S no problem. There was no 02 cobra as they were getting ready to unleash the 03-04 (terminator). They are the supercharged beasts that will stop an S.

we aren't done yet. there are the rare cobra R's to mention. 93 was the first year and they didn't have any power upgrades. they were basicly track prepped cobras (suspension, weight reduction, brakes, etc). then they made a 95 R. It's a drivers race with that one. Then in 00, while they were fixing the 99's, they put out an 00 R. This car will beat an S no problem. They are only slightly slower then the 03-04 cobras.

Well there you have it. I've owned 3 stangs (all 5.0 foxbodies) and my mom has owned 4 (one 84 POS and 3 SN95 gt's). My uncle was a engineer for Ford for many many years and is now with Roush. All the info above is off the top of my head so someone might want to check all the facts but they paint the basic picture. If i'm wrong on a point or two (i doubt) then feel free to bring it up. Nobody's perfect.

From a roll things get different as i stated. starting speed makes a difference. The modular cars run stronger from a roll so expect the newer stangs to perform better from a roll. obviously the newer the better. I can't stress enough that this is just a generalization. none of this is set in stone. certainly on the street/strip outcomes can be very different.