S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Your S on Track / Course

Old 02-24-2008 | 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,Feb 24 2008, 11:57 PM

You put tape on your car because you find the need to wrap your couch in plastic.
Haha
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by krazik,Feb 25 2008, 01:57 AM
You put tape on your car because you find the need to wrap your couch in plastic.
Putting tape on your car at a track event is the same as any other preventive measure that people take to keep their valuables from being damaged. Would you paint your walls/ceilings without a drop cloth to protect your carpet/tile/hardwood floors? It's the same concept. Sure, you could paint your house without a drop cloth. Maybe you'll get lucky and not splatter paint onto your hardwood floors. But maybe you won't. Same thing with the protective tape. You can run without it. Maybe you'll get lucky and not pick up any rock chips. But maybe you won't.

You can't argue that the risk of rock chips is the same as driving down the street. When driving down the street, the car in front of you generally isn't wearing R-compounds or slicks that pick up every last piece of gravel and fling it into the air. And (for some drivers), you don't follow the car in front of you as closely as you do on the track.

For people that intend to resell their car, the condition of its exterior matters. Doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to grasp that concept.
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:38 AM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Feb 25 2008, 06:20 AM] Same thing with the protective tape.
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:38 AM

mxt_77

with mxt_77
I tired to sum it up in an easy to follow punch-line Its about keeping it clean.....for resale. Not your butt of course

BTW, I dont care that others poke fun about the tape, my friends laugh at me all the time at the track for driving SLOW.
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by krazik,Feb 7 2008, 03:01 AM
I sure don't care you tracked your mom's camry.
NO love
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 25 2008, 08:38 AM
I don't think the tape really protects against rock chips anyway. Maybe very small rocks (sand, grit, etc.). It does protect against rubber marks. But if somebody has gone off and pulled some big rocks onto the track (the kind that crack windshields and glass headlights), then that tape sure isn't going to protect the paint much.

I still think back to the time I was watching some poor kid removing the whole blue tree worth of tape that he had put all over the front and side of the car -- tape that hadn't done a thing to protect the side of his car from being totally bashed in after a big off. Turns out rock chips wasn't what he should have been worrying about.

Still, if you want to tape your car, that's no skin off my back.
Well, if you go outside the realm of its intended area of protection, yeah its a waste. Just like wearing a bulletproof vest only to get shot in the head
Yeah I know extreme example...lets just agree

BLUE TAPE = Poser

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:40 AM

^Don't be mad because you don't have the skills of a Jedi with painters tape!!! hehehe

touche'!! LMAO!
Old 02-25-2008 | 09:21 AM
Administrator
20 Year Member

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Feb 25 2008, 06:20 AM] Putting tape on your car at a track event is the same as any other preventive measure that people take to keep their valuables from being damaged.
Old 02-25-2008 | 09:42 AM

:sigh:
You've spent so much time on the track that your perspective has become skewed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't agree with the way that most of the rest of the people in the world think.

But feel free to laugh at those that tape their cars. I used to tape mine, and honestly couldn't care less if someone thought it was "overly anal". I liked my car to maintain its finish after I was done playing on the track, and that was all that was important to me. Now that I have a car whose primary purpose is to spend time on the track/autocross course/etc, I don't worry as much about the paint.

BTW... you never answered the question: Would you paint the walls/ceiling in your house without a drop cloth on the floor? If your answer is No, then you might as well tape your car and wrap your couch in plastic. It is EXACTLY the same thing, right?

Edit: I don't think I've posted a pic of my car in this thread... so this is as close to 'track trim' as my car currently gets. Notice the lack of tape (except for the number).
Old 02-25-2008 | 10:20 AM
Administrator
20 Year Member

I 6 years of tracking I never taped the front end of any of my cars that I've taken on the track.

Your analogy is only applicable in mgarriason's example. Covering the floors is mostly for the BIG spills. And no amount of blue tape is gonna stop a 1" rock coming at you at 100mph. I don't cover my whole house when I'm just touching up a small area on one wall.

A simple wash and good wax will achieve the same result and you don't look like a donkey. As will getting your couch cleaned.

-Ry

Quick Reply: Your S on Track / Course