S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Your S on Track / Course

Old 12-11-2007 | 12:19 PM

The important part is these guys are tracking their cars and getting into the hobby. That is what's important for the growth of the sport at a grassroots level.

Who cares if they run painters tape on their bumper? What sweat is it off your back if they want to try to maintain the aesthetic appeal of their car? It probably isn't a dedicated race / track car for them and even if it is I don't think it injures you in any way for them to try to keep their car looking nice (other than making yours look worse in comparison).

Hell, cover the whole car in painters tape for all I care, just get out there and track your car and if the bug bites you move on to other forms of motorsport!

Back to the pics please
Old 12-11-2007 | 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by huys2200,Dec 11 2007, 11:14 AM
i'm not the "track-star" that likes to drive his car around with a f**ked up bumper and show off my "battle scars."
Too bad. It's fun.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:19 PM

It might be fun; but it looks like ass.

Please don't give me the "looks is not important on a race car" speech; 10 bucks says you'll think differently when you start racing in series big enough where you need to start racing with other people's money to keep racing.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor,Dec 11 2007, 02:19 PM
Please don't give me the "looks is not important on a race car" speech; 10 bucks says you'll think differently when you start racing in series big enough where you need to start racing with other people's money to keep racing.
$10 says 1) I won't be racing in any big dollar series and 2) I won't think differently anyway. Heck, I haven't washed my street car for a year and a half. Why would I wash my track car?
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:28 PM

Then that's your perogative.

I like to keep my track car or road car clean as heck because it's easier to keep an eye on things. Makes leak detection 10x easier compared to a dirty car.

edit: yes, I clean the interior, engine bay, suspension bits wheels AND the exterior of my S (it's more of a weekend car and part time track car).

I never figured out how some guys can be fast as shit behind the wheel of a car, yet their car is a) dirty; b) keeps breaking and worse still, they can't figure out WHY it keeps breaking.

Dirty race cars drive me bananas; but that's just an occupational hazard I've picked up over the past 2 years.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:52 PM

now that you guys are talking about "protecting" the paint with blue painter's tape, it reminds me of a BMW guy at my last track event who wanted to "protect" his brand spanking new BMW 3 series from rock chips and guess what he used... [you're probably thinking blue painter's tape]

WRONG!!!

... he used purple DUCK tape

it was quite amusing watching him trying to get purple duck tape off of his brand new BMW after it's been baked onto the paint in 70-80 degree weather
Old 12-11-2007 | 02:02 PM
Administrator
20 Year Member

simple guys, if you're that anal, wash and wax your car before and after the track and suck it up that you might get a couple small dings. you're gonna get the same dings on the street.

I'm not saying you can't care about your paint, but the blue tape is just lame. You could wear a plastic suit over your clothes so they don't get dirty either. Its like showing up at the formal party w/ a t-shirt that has a tux silk screened on it. If you care so much about looks you should know everyone is laughing at you.

-Ry
Old 12-11-2007 | 02:06 PM
Banned

Old 12-11-2007 | 02:07 PM

What's the chance of your clothes getting ripped a couple of holes when you wear it out on the street

I don't know where you go, but where I go, that usually doens't happen

Not even when I play with dogs.
Old 12-11-2007 | 02:08 PM

ps. Obviously if somebody was paying me to run stickers on my car, I would keep it clean. But that's a matter of business, nothing else.

Quick Reply: Your S on Track / Course