S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wheels and Shocks for A Stock

Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and Shocks for A Stock

Need some help. Setting up my '05 for SCCA's A Stock class.

These cars have wierd off set requirments. I've searched but it just gets more confusing. What wheels are you A stock autocrossers using that are A stock legal? And where did you buy them? Looking for the lightest possible in the stock 17x7 front and 17x8.5 rear size. I'll be using 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 V710's.

Also what's a good shock? Looks like custom valved S/A Koni's are popular. Where do you buy them? What about Moton's, JRZ's or Ohlins? And where can you buy them?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

SOLO
Old 01-12-2008, 07:58 AM

I' not to sure on what wheels are available, but your best bet is call the Tire Rack, they have all the info as to what wheels are available. I am using an extra set of AP2 wheels for my R Comps. If you need info on the A Stock Spec Koni's, you can call Gordon Benson @ Koni. His # is 859-586-4100 ext. 343 I have spoken w/ him and this is the route I will be taking myself. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks, I'll give Gordon a call.

I've spoken with the Tire Rack and all they have are non-AS legal wheels except for the TR Motorsports wheels. They're not that light and really expensive. My local Discount Tire shop says that TR Motorsports stands for Tire Rack Motorsports which is a T.R. exclusive. Hmmm.

I have a line locally on a set of stock AP2 wheels for sale but was looking for something lighter.

SOLO
Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172595
Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO_S2000,Jan 12 2008, 07:51 AM
Need some help. Setting up my '05 for SCCA's A Stock class.

These cars have wierd off set requirments. I've searched but it just gets more confusing. What wheels are you A stock autocrossers using that are A stock legal? And where did you buy them? Looking for the lightest possible in the stock 17x7 front and 17x8.5 rear size. I'll be using 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 V710's.

Also what's a good shock? Looks like custom valved S/A Koni's are popular. Where do you buy them? What about Moton's, JRZ's or Ohlins? And where can you buy them?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

SOLO
I use Kosei K1-TS for my front wheels and oem replicas for the rears. The Koseis give you an extra 5mm stance up front and have minimal rubbing depending on your alignment. For shocks I use the customed valved Konis with the '07 specs. The TRs are abought as light as you can get for the rears unless you find the discontinued SSRs from a couple years ago that came in stack sizes. I posted alot of info on these in other posts so just search and you will find them. Buy the from Lee Grimes 859-586-4100 at Koni (1961 International Way Hebron, KY) Just my opinion though so do you research and decide what is best for you. Best of luck and feel free to ask if you need any help.

-Marc
Old 01-12-2008, 10:17 AM

IMHO, you can spend a boatload of money on custom rims and top of the line shocks, but unless you are a natl driver it is pointless. Just get the custom valved konis a decent front bar and some seat time with a good teacher.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 AM

INTJ, I forgot to mention in my original post that I've been autocrossing for 20 years and have been to Nationals 8 times. And I've done Evolution schools for the last 10+ years. And I'm doing the new Extreme school in March.

Marc and bigboost, I left a message on voice mail at Koni for a call back on the custom valving.

Now if I could just find some wheels that are light and fit. Anyone else? If not I guess it's the TR wheels.

SOLO
Old 01-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOLO_S2000,Jan 12 2008, 03:29 PM
And I'm doing the new Extreme school in March.
I have done Phase 1 and 2 several times, so if they ever come within 3 hours and conduct the extreme school, I will be the 1st in line.

If you don't mind, I would love to read a review from another S2000 owner on this new class. It really looks good on paper... plus it will be interesting to see how they utilize DAQ.

Back on subject.... From my memory, Marc is dead on from the AP2, and his fronts are VERY light.

At least you have a choice without having to go to a JDM product and have wider wheels.

-Dave
Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TR Motorsports are your only legal choice without finding a custom wheel maker like Fikse make some for you...and even then, as I recall back many years ago since the same problem exists for the ap1, the custom wheel makers did not have the capability to make wheels with our offsets for the rear.

For shocks...get your wallet open wide. Moton's and Penske's have been what have won. Although Ian Stewart did finish in the top 3 a couple times with Koni's (and I don't think they had been re-valved...can't recall). But having run on the off-the-shelf valved Konis (and I am faaaaar from Nat's level driver)...they are too soft in compression for rapid transitions with stock springs.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:46 PM

I'm also interested in what solutions are avaliable for the AP2 in terms of wheels.

Right now I have a second set of AP2 OEM wheels that I'm planning on using for 2008, then probably retiring them for use with a set of rain tires at which point I'm going to splurge for a set of the TRM F3s, or something else if a better option becomes avaliable.

Quick Reply: Wheels and Shocks for A Stock