S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wheel bearing upgrade?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing upgrade?

Hey all, just curious if anyone had found a better wheel bearing that works in our cars. I'm burning up rear wheel bearings like nobodies business. Maybe the last guy installed it poorly I'm not sure... But it hasn't even been a year and its leaked all the grease out and started to squeel like a B!@CH. Any help/suggestions is appreciated
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I installed Timken bearings in the front recently so I can't comment on longevity. I picked them up at Autozone for $35. I've heard good things about Timken.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try a coating or finishing service. WPC gets great reviews over at MotoIQ.com and Micro Blue looks promising too.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Former Moderator

Probably the best thing you can do for bearing life is two-piece brake rotors and/or a big brake kit to reduce heat transfer from the brake disk to the wheel hub and bearing. I'm running MotorSportsPerformanceGroup.us (MPG) big brakes all around. The brakes are fantastic, temps are lower and pad and disk life are way up.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MP2k
I would try a coating or finishing service. WPC gets great reviews over at MotoIQ.com and Micro Blue looks promising too.
How would they do this to a sealed unit?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by robrob
Probably the best thing you can do for bearing life is two-piece brake rotors and/or a big brake kit to reduce heat transfer from the brake disk to the wheel hub and bearing. I'm running MotorSportsPerformanceGroup.us (MPG) big brakes all around. The brakes are fantastic, temps are lower and pad and disk life are way up.
I was throwing around the idea of making some type of duct that would shoot air into the brake/bearing area for the rear.

Thanks the for replies.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Former Moderator

The problem with ducting the rear is finding enough air flow to actually move air through a hose to the brake caliper/disk/hub. I'm considering running some excess 2 1/2 inch hose I have laying around from the rear edge of the rear wheel well around to the brake caliper & disk. You'd want to vent the hottest components for maximum efficiency. Cooling the caliper and disk will keep the hub & bearing cooler.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my rear wheel bearing was burning out before the fronts also. once the rear bearing goes out and you still drive the car, you might bend the hub. if you install new bearings with the bad hub still in, then the bearing will go out even faster.

with the oem solid rear disk, the rotor temp was always little hotter than the front rotor (around 900 degree right off the track). once i installed the RacingBrake vented rear bbk with oem calipers, the hottest i saw on the rear rotors was 500 degree and the rotor hat was only 200 degree

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/834...tors-rear-bbk/
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Have you replaced your rear hubs? Replacing only the wheel bearings and leaving the worn hub is going to accelerate the wear of your new bearings.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShocK
Originally Posted by MP2k' timestamp='1303623890' post='20500987
How would they do this to a sealed unit?
Yeah.............I had been up for a very long time when I posted that. I realized my mistake after I got some sleep and was day dreaming, then it hit me. Just ignore me and get the temps down like everyone else is saying

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing upgrade?