S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wheel Alignments?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Wheel Alignments?

Hey guys, it looks like Ill be taking the S2k to the track/autox this coming year and would appreciate it if you guys would help point me in the right direction to learn further more about wheel alignment. Ive seen shops such as firestone offer 160$ lifetime wheel alignments and then again ive seen actual alignment shops that charge 120$ for a 4 wheel alignment. Now Im new to this stuff and im sure there has to be more involved in getting a "quality" alignment versus the regular "cheapo" alignment places that you find at wal mart. Anyone wanna school me on the basics on what you get at real legit places vs the wal mart type of shops? I tried googling this but didnt really get any useful information. Im definitely interested in what each function, such as caster, camber, toe plays in its role in driving. Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive to Darin in Gardena (West End Alignment). Pay for your first alignment, and take home a brain full of knowledge too. He'll chat with you throughout the alignment, and explain every little thing he does if you ask.

It'll be well worth the 2.5-3 hour drive (and likely a 1+ week wait for your appointment).

As for the track, come join us in the s2k challenge.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

It's just a tricky car to align properly, since the camber and toe (and caster in the front) are all dependent -- change one and the others change.

Darin also has a wealth of experience not just in physically doing the alignment, but in what "works" for different kinds of setups/driving, or to address any issues you're having.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean, what alignment you need depends on a lot of variables. Certainly if it is a track only alignment vs a street/track setup...

Even if it is only a track dedicated setup, the settings you request depend on your spring/shocks and rollbars, driving style, tires, wing/no wing, etc. Obviously the camber, caster, toe and other settings that are optimal for you depend on a lot of variables. You need to have the experience as a driver to know what you want and need before you can have any shop set up your alignment.

In general, track setups are going to run more camber and caster than street setups to maximize cornering grip. Regardless, you will probably want to get several track days under your belt before you worry about the alignment too much. I ran my first couple events with my rsx completely stock. I didn't worry about making my car faster, just about learning everything I could about driving; the setup knowledge you need will come with experience. As such, I say just run some events, and talk to people with other s2000's or similar cars while you are there and learn what works for them.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Jan 26 2011, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, it looks like Ill be taking the S2k to the track/autox this coming year and would appreciate it if you guys would help point me in the right direction to learn further more about wheel alignment. Ive seen shops such as firestone offer 160$ lifetime wheel alignments and then again ive seen actual alignment shops that charge 120$ for a 4 wheel alignment. Now Im new to this stuff and im sure there has to be more involved in getting a "quality" alignment versus the regular "cheapo" alignment places that you find at wal mart. Anyone wanna school me on the basics on what you get at real legit places vs the wal mart type of shops? I tried googling this but didnt really get any useful information. Im definitely interested in what each function, such as caster, camber, toe plays in its role in driving. Thanks guys.
I'm in San Diego also and my other buddy with an S2K does the lifetime alignment at a shop in Santee and he just has them dial in what he wants for stock and for the track.

Otherwise I just go to True Line in El Cajon.