S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: If the '00-'03 S2000 is reclassed to A Stock in SCCA autocross, how will you respond?
Definitely stop or significantly scale back autocrossing my S2000 because of the move
9.62%
Likely stop or significantly scale back autocrossing my S2000 because of the move
7.69%
Possibly stop or significantly scale back autocrossing my S2000 because of the move
11.54%
Continue autocrossing my S2000 despite the move
50.00%
Have not yet decided
9.62%
Other / unaffected by the move (e.g. was planning to stop or significantly scale back autocrossing the car anyway)
11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

What Will You Do If The S2000 Is Reclassed To AS?

Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jul 12 2004, 10:24 AM
Didn't SP-trimmed cars get moved to BSP earlier this year?
No -- there's a proposal to do so currently up for member comment, but it has not yet been ratified.

Steve
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I typically do 10-12 local events, 1 Divisional and 1 Tour in a season. I have been to Nationals twice and will probably go back in the future. I would be disappointed if the early cars go to AS and are not competitive after having just purchased my '03 last fall. (I would prefer to see the '04s come down to BS.)

I have noticed locally and Nationally that the S seems to be dominant. Maybe a move to AS wouldn't be all bad. It won't be the car to have, but it may still be competitive.

The driving force for me is not winning, but be being able to legally enjoy the car in a safe environment. (of course being at the top of the class makes it more enjoyable!) That, coupled with the social environment, would not keep me away. Especially from the National level. I have met some great friends that I only get to see a couple of times a year at these events and I really enjoy the National level courses.

Locally the move to AS will put me in to a bigger field with some very good drivers. I was in a class of one for the last couple of seasons prior to owning the S. Part of the reason I bought the S was to be in a class with some competition. AS on the local level will be in the double digits if this goes through. I see it as way to improve myself as a driver as it will force me to improve. I know I was slacking off when I had no one to compete with.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I will continue running the S2000 into early next season regardless of the AS / BS decision. In the long term, it is far more likely that I would abandon autocrossing the S2000 (and maybe abandon national level autocross altogether) if the S2000 is in A Stock.

The car is not fun at our local events (VTEC challenged courses) and National events are my mainstay for enjoying the car. In B Stock I have a decent chance of winning if I do my job. That's what makes it very enjoyable. In A Stock, if it was apparent that I had very little chance of a win, desire to compete would be greatly diminished. In other words, I would skip events like San Diego (distance) and Bremerton (conflict with ALMS race in Portland) in favor of more enjoyable hobbies.

What else would I do? I'd likely sell the car and buy a Spec Miata for Club Racing. Which explains why I would likely quit autocrossing on a National level.

Andy H.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm honestly only on the track to race against myself and hone my driving ability. However, I can see that many die hard competitors would be very put out by the move since from member opinion it sounds like the S would be soundly outclassed.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been autocrossing S2000s since May 2000 when we were in AS. Since the following season, I really enjoyed driving in BS since it was "the car to have" and my driving had improved to the point where I am locally competitive. Over tha past 4 years I have raced at approximately 45 local events and have participated in 3 SCCA national tour events in the S2000. My plan was for this to be the last year of S2000 competition (co-driving a friend's car) while transitioning to a Spec Miata. I now race the SM in DSP with one local club, while competing in my friend's S2000 in BS at another. I use the SM in HPDEs as well.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:01 AM

Let the S2k move to AS... I'd say stick it to the STI's (mua ha ha ha).

Seriously though, it'd be one of the most severely underpowered cars of its class, however moving some of the Porsche's and STI's to SS would also make sense.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:24 AM

Many divisionals, a couple of tours, and the odd Pro event every year - and I will continue if we're bumped up. I've got an '01, my co-driver just bought an '04 - we might even get both cars prepped to a point where we could run either, course dependent. In the long run (Topeka) in AS the fast C4's are going to smoke everyone - and when I can't feel competitive any longer, it's an Elise, or a CM car for me.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Jul 13 2004, 02:01 AM
Let the S2k move to AS... I'd say stick it to the STI's (mua ha ha ha).

Seriously though, it'd be one of the most severely underpowered cars of its class, however moving some of the Porsche's and STI's to SS would also make sense.
The Boxster S and STi are not the cars to beat in AS, so what would be the sense in moving them to SS? Scott McHugh has beaten SS a couple times already this year in his AS C4. I certainly wouldn't mind moving to AS if the C4 moved to SS, but that will not happen.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7 year autocrosser, >20 events a year, first Divisional (not in an S2000) in a couple of weeks, and will do at least one tour event - my first - next year as well.

Locally, the change affects little, a good S2000 driver can win AS in any of our 3 SCCA regions in this area (i've personally gone faster than AS in two of the regions, and I'm so far from fast it's not funny). I welcome more competition locally as the turn out of S2000's at all but one SCCA region here is hideous - bring on AS.

Since Tour and Divisional events are only a small fraction of what I intend to do (lack of talent and funds), I'm not greatly affected there.

Even if competition became an issue - getting out of the car just because of that would not be wise fiscally for me. My next purchase however, will as this one, be based on, Stock class competitiveness, ease of tracking (not good in an S in the NE with the Roll bar restrictions), and every day enjoyability should the daily driver go down. Rules out most things below BS anyway. And the car has to belong, if at all possible, to a well supported stock class (to much $$ to play in street prepared and above).
Old 07-13-2004, 08:43 AM

I see a very interesting split. The majority of drivers, the regional-only drivers, don't care. The ones who will be most affected, the national drivers, are leaning heavily toward abandoning the car if the move happens.

To those of you who want the car to move because there's more competition in your local AS class, your region is not required to use the national's classing. You could always petition your local solo2 board to combine AS and BS if that's what you'd prefer. But for the sake of those of us who compete nationally, please support us in our effort to keep the car competitive.

Quick Reply: What Will You Do If The S2000 Is Reclassed To AS?