S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What helmet is everyone using?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep in mind that motorcycle helmets are more or less used for one hard impact. While a auto helmet is ment to handle more that just one due to the chance of it hitting roll bars and what not.

What is the opinion on full vs open face? Open face seems more comfortable but I am use to full face helmets
Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boyguan
Keep in mind that motorcycle helmets are more or less used for one hard impact. While a auto helmet is ment to handle more that just one due to the chance of it hitting roll bars and what not.

What is the opinion on full vs open face? Open face seems more comfortable but I am use to full face helmets
How many of us have roll cages?

I use a moto helmet, but really want HANS
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan

I don't believe this is accurate. My understanding is that the test procedures for impact are identical for the M vs SA ratings. As I understand it, fire retardancy is the ONLY difference.

Full face all the way.

My previous was a simpson bandit, but I've switched to a Bell Vortex GT. Both are quite comfortable.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Simpson Diamondback along with a harddog roll bar with low harness bar and a HANS...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

G-Force Pro Eliminator, Flat Black

Full custom Cage

Hans Device
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that full face helmets were actually dangerous in cars equipped with airbags due to the way the bag deploys into the chin area, causing serious injuries. Anyone know about this?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G Force full face, SA2005. I also have a custom roll bar.

I kind of like full face because of the thought of anything shattering or becoming mobile in a crash and heading towards my face. Then, of course, in the event of a fire, a full face could provide some flash protection.

I also believe in only buying once, so a full face covers anything I may do IE Karting or ChumpCar races.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The gforce is quite a bit cheaper than a hjc. Any recommendations where to buy it
Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by legend4life
I read somewhere that full face helmets were actually dangerous in cars equipped with airbags due to the way the bag deploys into the chin area, causing serious injuries. Anyone know about this?
Yes, I know very specifically about this. But forgive me that I don't have the sources to quote right now.

This was all a misrepresentation of a quote from an SCCA internal memo of a safety official who simply mentioned a study (and a poorly designed one) done in Europe that seemed to show that a couple people got injured in the chin when an airbag went off and they happened to be wearing a full face helmet. And, it was something like 10 yrs ago.

Get a full face helmet.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in an open face helmet in a convertible if I got in an accident and hit a wall, or even worse, flipped. Think about it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinap1
I am using ARAI GP-5 and fits perfect on my asian head.

I tried Simpson and Bell but didn't work with shape of my head, which was too narrow and got headache...
Haha....that's funny. About a year ago I bought a new helmet. Tried on about 6 different brands. The ONLY ones that were comfortable for me were Simpson and Bell! All the others pressed against my forehead.

Shortly after that I was talking with a racer of about 30 yrs experience and he told me I'll be a Simpson or Bell man for life. They are simply made differently!

Quick Reply: What helmet is everyone using?