S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What is the Best Way To Mount a GoPro on an S2000?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Illusion

Edit: Also, agree with Mike I don't think the windshield gets you anything over the windscreen mount. The only thing you don't get is with the windscreen is perfect views of distance from cones, although with experience you'll start to get a good feel even for that. And the windshield isn't any better for that.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Use a dashboard mount for immediate review and the Modifry mount for later review. I usually only hang onto the Modifry mount footage.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mwood
I think, for anything other than "artistic value", the location in front of the windscreen is optimal. It gives an unobstructed view of both line and inputs.

Also, as I pointed out earlier, you can make one for about $33.50 less than purchasing...but, yeah, you do have to invest 15 minutes of your time

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Illusion

Edit: Also, agree with Mike I don't think the windshield gets you anything over the windscreen mount. The only thing you don't get is with the windscreen is perfect views of distance from cones, although with experience you'll start to get a good feel even for that. And the windshield isn't any better for that.

Originally Posted by Fokker
Use a dashboard mount for immediate review and the Modifry mount for later review. I usually only hang onto the Modifry mount footage.
I think we are all saying the same thing: the windscreen mount is the best for evaluating performance (which I would love to be able supplement with side mounts to see exactly how close I was to the cones, a traditional problem for me) while the windshield mount gives a better view for learning the course. My initial reaction is that 1 run with a windshield mount to learn the course from, and subsequent runs with a windscreen mount.

Then there is Solo Storm...

Old 05-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 216 Likes on 138 Posts

I tried mine with the tow hook mount on the front bumper a couple of weeks ago and it's a cool video but once over about 30mph there is a terrible rattle in the audio. I have the full enclosed mounting case, is there a different case, or a different way to do the audio so you don't get the rattle? I don't think it's car noise, it sounds like the gopro is rattling inside the case maybe.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by mwood' timestamp='1430507370' post='23598331
I think, for anything other than "artistic value", the location in front of the windscreen is optimal. It gives an unobstructed view of both line and inputs.

Also, as I pointed out earlier, you can make one for about $33.50 less than purchasing...but, yeah, you do have to invest 15 minutes of your time

Illusion

I think we are all saying the same thing: the windscreen mount is the best for evaluating performance (which I would love to be able supplement with side mounts to see exactly how close I was to the cones, a traditional problem for me) while the windshield mount gives a better view for learning the course. My initial reaction is that 1 run with a windshield mount to learn the course from, and subsequent runs with a windscreen mount.

I'm actually saying I don't see how the windshield is any better, just leave it on the windscreen, but if you feel differently go for it.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1430513190' post='23598432
[quote name='mwood' timestamp='1430507370' post='23598331']

Illusion

I'm actually saying I don't see how the windshield is any better, just leave it on the windscreen, but if you feel differently go for it.
[/quote]

I found that watching the windshield video I got a better feeling for the track; that may be because it has close to the same visual perspective as the driver. In contrast, the camera on the windscreen has the view of a backseat passenger, like the third girl in she Sketch She. Useful for improvement, maybe less so, at least for me, for learning the course.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVx6cXf5Liw[/media]
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--zu4x_i3hg

I have used all those positions posted above. On my YouTube channel I try all sorts of new angles to change up the shots. I have more videos on my channel!

http://www.youtube.com/user/themikewoo
Old 05-02-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Themikewoo
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=--zu4x_i3hg

I have used all those positions posted above. On my YouTube channel I try all sorts of new angles to change up the shots. I have more videos on my channel!

http://www.youtube.com/user/themikewoo
You didn't have a windshield or bumper mount.

However, the view behind the front tire really shows car placement...but needs two cameras plus a central one . The windscreen view shows what the driver is doing, the course, and the car placement...the best overall view if you could only have one. IMHO, the windshield mount still is the best to learn the course.

Modifry has a bumper mount using the tow hook. They are sold out! It creates dramatic street shots, especially windy country roads, day or night (since the headlights illuminate the scene). However, it doesn't look practical for autocrosses.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 216 Likes on 138 Posts

Craven Speed also has a tow hook mount.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a hardtop, the suction mount on the "b-pillar" makes for a great view. You can see steering input, shifting, and have a mostly un-obstructed view of the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX2tZuvkwgk