S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What belts do you use with race seats on the street?

Old 12-02-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by waltk88
Doesn't the Euro Porsche GT3 seat function with 3-point belts as well as harnesses?
Looks like it does. I found these installation instructions which have you unbolt the seatbelt from the car, thread it through the belt holes in the seat, then reinstall it; the same procedure should presumably work for any other race seat as well.

Having said that, per Elistan, I'll give it a shot without any special belt routing first.

Thanks all for your advice...

Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your link to the post by Radical Racer is very thought provoking for primarily street-driven cars!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you guys think about harness anchors mounted behind the plastics behind the seats?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by BlueS2000Boy
what do you guys think about harness anchors mounted behind the plastics behind the seats?
I think it's a very bad idea. There is only sheetmetal back there, and without substantial reinforcement, it will likely buckle in the event of an accident. The mounting point for your harness must be able to withstand extremely high loading, and I can't imagine how you could do it without installing an aftermarket rollbar with harness attachment points.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Your link to the post by Radical Racer is very thought provoking for primarily street-driven cars!
I know Joe Marko very well. He owns and runs HMS Motorsports in New England.
He has been doing extensive belt testing and has now been employed by several NASCAR teams in order to bring their level of safety up.

The stuff you read from Joe has got to be taken seriously, he knows what he is talking about and believe me, you don't want to see some of the crash sled videos I have seen.

In many ways those comments are directed right at someone like me, and Joe reminds me of that every time I see him. My head is very close to the rollbar, and on the street I do not have the helmet to protect me...
Old 12-03-2003, 05:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CoralDoc
Old 12-03-2003, 05:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voodoo_S2K
If you put a substantial backing plate in, do you think then it would be possible?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
But at that point, why not install an aftermarket rollbar and do it with less hassle and with a safer outcome?
Personally, I think an aftermarket rollbar ruins the look of the car and gives the car that street racer/ricer look. They also tend to attract the attention of the local cops. That being said, I may install one in the future because of all the track days I've been going to.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really don't like the look of the roll bars either at least all of them except for 7 point. i love those but don't have the 1k+ right now to get one. but do have brides.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by BlueS2000Boy
i really don't like the look of the roll bars either...
It's funny what you get used to, but I understand your point of view. When I first got my bar I just was not too sure about it visually. I had to have it to continue what I was doing, but visually I was just not sure I really liked it. Now I feel completely the opposite. When I see my car in a line of other S2000s now, I just look at the others and wonder what's missing...

Quick Reply: What belts do you use with race seats on the street?