S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Weird brake rotor issue

Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird brake rotor issue

Hey everyone,

I did my first track day with my 2004 S2k a month ago, and I loved it. I plan on doing it more often! I previously tracked my Acura Integra so I consider myself an intermediate driver.

However, I noticed that my brake rotors look different now. It looks like the outer edge of the rotors are not being touched nearly as much as the inner section of the rotors. I am running stock OEM rotors and pads with 12k miles on them.

My guess is the higher velocity and kinetic energy at the outer edge of the rotors generated more heat and either glazed or warped something slightly so I no longer get even contact. Normal street braking is fine, no shuddering, etc. The rotors just look different.

I would like to know if anybody has seen or experienced this before, and could tell me what happened? Is this normal with stock S2k brakes and pads? Did I glaze the pads? This never happened to my Integra after track days. I ran Autozone blank rotors and HP+ pads on the teg. Here are some pictures:

Soon I plan on replacing my pads with CarboTech XP10 front and XP8 rear, which seems to be a recommended setup, along with some cheap ebay DRT sport slotted rotors... slotted for looks, mostly. I know they reduce thermal capacity. They come with the hub powdercoated so that should keep the rust away. (I'll also be painting my calipers black with G2 paint at some point in the future).
Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 AM

stick with stock solid rotors they last alot longer from what most people on here say . The dark are on the rotors looks like pad material melted to outer edge of rotor . Basically you over heated you stock pads . Change fluid to ATE or similar before next track day also .
Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did smoke come out both of the front wheel when you back in the pit? I smoke my stock pad on the last session of my first track day.

You are right at the temperature limit of the pad. This happen to me on the semi-racing pad too. You need to upgrade the pad. most people here use Carbotech. I prefer Cobalt. Do your search and pick one.

I called Cobalt tech when this happen on my last track day. I current run XR2/GT-S. He recommend XR1/XR4 combo. He also told me that I need brake duct with my upgrade pad.

So after my pad burn up. My next step is brake duct. my '06 brake duct

Stock rotor is fine. Do not use cross drill or slot or both. It will crack.

like SILAP1: said you may boil the brake fluid already so flush the system with a new fluid is not a bad idea. I use ATE Super blue / Typ 200.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:15 AM

I didn't notice any smoke when I tracked it. I did the track day about a month ago, the pictures are from yesterday with about 600 miles of driving on the car.

I'm already running ATE Typ 200, but I may switch to Motul. I noticed the pedal softening in the pits, but firmed back up once I was on the track.