S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Watkins Glen in the wet

Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Watkins Glen in the wet

So I did my annual trip to Watkins Glen with NASA this year. My first time going up there in the S (previous years I went in my RSX) and just my luck, we had the worst possible conditions ever. Low 40s, winds, heavy fog and torrential downpour. We only got 2 sessions in on Saturday and we started off Sunday in really heavy rain. To add insult to injury, I'm running 255/40/17 Hankook RS3s all around which are horrible in the damp let alone full wet. The video below is from session one on Sunday. It started off as medium/heavy rain and got worse and worse while we were driving. You couldn't see the brake markers until you were just a few hundred feet away, same for flag stations. I think it was just worse in the car coz the wipers at max speed just wasn't clearing the windshield fast enough.

(NOTE: Skip to 8:00 minutes if you want to jump over the 2-lap full caution start)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq4wSU6pCPQ

However, I did learn so much this past weekend. Nothing teaches you how to be smooth faster than putting yourself in the worst possible condition knowing full well that a mistake could put you into a wall in a heart beat. I was fighting to keep the car pointing in the right direction even in the straights, hydroplaning everywhere shifting the car a few inches here and there. This is where the S really shines I think. The feedback in the steering, the pedals and through the seats really helped me feel the the car as the traction shifted around.

I have to admit I was a bit annoyed that we had such crappy weather but in hindsight, I think this was the best event I've ever had. The experience was phenomenal and I've gained even more confidence in the dry as a result.

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this since I wasn't racing (just a HPDE) but I think it's a great opportunity to discuss driving in the wet and techniques you employ, etc.

For those unfamiliar with my setup, my car is basically a STR setup minus soft top + rollbar and hardtop + GTC-200 wing and APR splitter.

Moton Club Sports with 1000lb springs all around
Gendron front bar set to full stiff
No rear bar
255/40/17 RS3s all around
Hawk HP+ pads all around

The only thing I did for the wet was reduce the dampening 2 clicks all around to give some additional compliance over my full dry setup.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd probably have turned the compression to full soft and the rebound halfway down.

But yes, wet driving is a great learning tool.

Now try driving a road course plowed on a frozen lake in a RWD car on snow tires....
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Now try driving a road course plowed on a frozen lake in a RWD car on snow tires....
I've done that...but I used an Audi A4 Quattro so I guess that was kinda cheating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCz07qNCNA
Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol, totally cheating... but waaaaay more fun!

Why is it the best lessons are the hardest?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish my racecar had the heater core and ducting so I could drive it in the wet.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by cracknut
I wish my racecar had the heater core and ducting so I could drive it in the wet.
Yeah, during the NASA race it was pretty bizarre since it seems some people actually had a piece of cloth in the car and they were wiping the windshield as they were going down the straight...LoL.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, nice Steve! Glad you had fun. I'll watch the vid when I get home from work.

Adding to Charles, yes, definitely pull out as much compression as you can for the wet, it's night and day. I remember we had a rain event at a local autocross once. The fastest car was a stock Civic SI. With stock shocks and amazingly soft stock springs, it was a monster in the low grip/mixed conditions.

My buddy did a wheel to wheel race up in Watkins Glen with Nasa last weekend(I think) and it was in the rain. He was driving a white Subaru 2.5 RS in PTC.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steguis
. . . I think it was just worse in the car coz the wipers at max speed just wasn't clearing the windshield fast enough. . .
You might consider trying Rain-X windshield treatment instead of using wipers.

Originally Posted by steguis
Originally Posted by cracknut' timestamp='1317736530' post='21037798
Yeah, during the NASA race it was pretty bizarre since it seems some people actually had a piece of cloth in the car and they were wiping the windshield as they were going down the straight...LoL.
You might consider trying Rain-X anti-fog wipes.

No, I don't work for Rain-X, but, am familiar with their products and thought I might suggest them.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Yeah I've use Rain-X before. Never really been in rain that wipers weren't sufficient but I think I'd definitely apply some next time I go out if I expect a wash out.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the weather. I was running at LRP with NASA the weekend before and our first session was on a very wet, slick track. Hardest HPDE I've ever been in!

-Mike

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen in the wet