S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Water/Oil versus Air/Oil Coolers

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water/Oil versus Air/Oil Coolers

I have would like to get an oiler cooler for my s2000 and have my mind set on a oil/air cooler like most people use. But after some forum browsing I noticed some people use water/oil exchangers in their car. It seems the design is alot more compact and requires less space but not sure whether the performance is better than the standard oil/air cooler. I feel the water based cooler would be better since H20 has a very high heat capacity but then I would need a much larger radiator to support that and possibly an oil pump for the decreased oil pressure through the fins of a exchanger.

Experiences/current setups with these types of designs would be nice. Also if anyone has data temperature differences between the two systems on the coolant and oil temperature.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Bump. Also interested.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

I know the S2000 has a water-oil cooler from the factory, and I have some experience in the past with a direct comparison between the two, but not on the S2000 so takethe below for what its worth.

On my JZA70 supra which also had an OEM water-oil cooler I picked up a significant amount of cooling by changing over to an air-oil cooler and reduced heat significantly during hard driving, however this was likely more due to the fact that its a forced induction motor and the oil coming off of the turbos, entering the cooler is nearly hot enough during a track session to flash boil coolant (as it would in the OEM cooler). I found that by divorcing the two systems (and picking up the extra oil capacity that a large front facing oil cooler brings with the plumbing etc) I brought down the oil temps by ~30 degrees F and reduced cooling system load as well (car no longer would overheat on track sessions). 2 other keys to note in this setup were that the comparison was a OEM water/oil exchanger to a large aftermarket air/oil (the oem exchanger was removed), AND an oil thermostat was added to the system.

I understand that on NA applications though the opposite can be true since you dont have to cope with the extreme heat from the turbos, and many have had positive experiences using a laminova heat exchanger since it doesnt need to go in the air stream (usually in front of the radiator creating a cooling shadow and pre-heating air before it hits the radiator), but since you are pumping more heat into the cooling system, especially if you use a larger laminova than OEM (more internal surface area = more heat soaked from the oil into the cooling system) you may need to add cooling capacity to offset this.

Sorry no direct S2000 input though.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, ap. For no really good reason I have a prefernece for the laminova heat exchanger and upgraded cooling system solution over an air/oil cooler. I'll probably go that route at some point in the future, but I'd rather hear about direct S2000 experiences first.