S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Want to buy moton shocks, where to get them?

Old 03-19-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy moton shocks, where to get them?

Ready to purchase a set of Moton shocks. Where do I start?

They will be used mainly for street, but the main reason I am upgrading is because the stock ones are done and I need better shocks for autocross (or should I say, I wanted one of the BEST shocks for autocross?).

I chose Motons because they are a proven package, with good autocross development. So buying from somebody with autocross tuning expertise is important, I guess.

Looked at Kingmotorsports.com and they don't offer the ClubSports, just the Motorsports version. $ 1,600 more. Is the MotorSport version better than the ClubSport version? If I get them from King Motorsport, do they come with a different valving than from any other vendor?

Looked at Scienceofspeed.com and they offer both versions (CS and MS), plus all the necessary hardware for simple "bolt-on installation". But I don't know much about their autocross/tunning background.

Please advise.

PS: I've had researched the subject thoroughly and based on what I've learned and PERSONAL preference, I had settled for Motons. So Penske's, JRZ's, Koni's, etc. are out of the question. Please don't try to make me change my mind. As anybody else would admit, I "can't go wrong with Motons". Expensive, I know. But I can afford them without sacrificing other vane enjoyments life has for me.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you can do better than SOS for Motons. My experience has been that they are more than willing to help out with your individual preferences.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=416207
Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey man,
TC Design sells them and they are a member here on s2ki.
http://www.tcdesignfab.com/
Tony is the man there.
they do have race experience with them and he knows what he is doing.

one guy I talked to said to go with the clubsports or what ever was the lower priced unless you have a data-logger.
he said you will drive yourself nuts trying to adjust the full race setup.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SOS. TCD is not a sponsor. SOS retails TCD products.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Jason Saini also sells them. You can PM Glagola1 for contact info. I remember Matt saying something like $3400 for the clubsports.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from Tony at TC Designs.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Thanks a lot guys. All of it was very helpful information.

I've been contacting vendors and owners, and aparently, there is no specific valving for Autocross. The factory valving is good enough since the range of adjustment is so wide. So I guess price will be more important now, than the vendor itself, since custom valving won't be needed.

Glad to hear Jason Saini is a vendor himself. How do I contact him? His experience is priceless, you know?

Tried to call Moton USA itself but they were out for the 12-hr of Sebring.

The main questions I will ask them are:

1. How much better are the MS compared to the CS?

2. What is the estimated service time between rebuilts if driven daily on the street (is it any different between the MS and CS?)

3. Installation hardware: Are they bolt-on no matter where I get them from, or do I have to fabricate/buy new pieces?

4. The Moton website does not show a Clubsport application for the S2000. Does that mean they don't make one specifically for our cars? Then, am I wrong to assume that the factory valving for the CS may be different from the S2000-specific MS?

5. Where do you mount the remote reservoirs? Pics?

6. How do you run the hoses from the fender well to the engine compartment and trunk? Do you have to drill the chassis or are there openings you can use?

7. What's the minimum gas pressure you can run without producing cavitation? Is it lower than other manufacturers? What's the estimated lifting force compared to shocks with smaller valve area? In other words, given the autocross stock class regulations; will the car sit lower, same, or higher than with other shocks, including stock?

8. I read on the Moton website that the gas pressure is adjustable. Is that adjusted prior to shipping? Or is that something you can adjust with a knob? What's the factory default? I wonder if the CS have the same adjustability and range.

If any of you have answers for any of this questions, please chime in. I'm hungry for info.

Muchas gracias, again.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM

1. How much better are the MS compared to the CS?
If you'll be driving on the street, then the CS are probably the way to go.

2. What is the estimated service time between rebuilts if driven daily on the street (is it any different between the MS and CS?)
CS I've been told 2 to 3 years depending on mileage

MS I'll be revalving mine once a year. That's with 35+ track days. If you drive them on the street, probably at least once a year or perhaps more often. Servicing is about $600/set

3. Installation hardware: Are they bolt-on no matter where I get them from, or do I have to fabricate/buy new pieces?
SOS and TC Design both have turnkey setups for the S2000 in CS and MS

4. The Moton website does not show a Clubsport application for the S2000. Does that mean they don't make one specifically for our cars? Then, am I wrong to assume that the factory valving for the CS may be different from the S2000-specific MS?
SOS and TC Design can get you an S2000 CS setup

5. Where do you mount the remote reservoirs? Pics?
I mounted front reservoirs right at top just in front of my radiator. That location was suggested for cooling. For auto-x it's probably less important. Rear reservoirs are mounted on roll bar tube that runs from main hoop to the rear.

6. How do you run the hoses from the fender well to the engine compartment and trunk? Do you have to drill the chassis or are there openings you can use?
Track only car so just drilled holes and then put in a rubber surround.

7. What's the minimum gas pressure you can run without producing cavitation? Is it lower than other manufacturers? What's the estimated lifting force compared to shocks with smaller valve area? In other words, given the autocross stock class regulations; will the car sit lower, same, or higher than with other shocks, including stock?
Why do you want to run low pressure? Ride height is completely adjustable and not dependent on gas pressure.

8. I read on the Moton website that the gas pressure is adjustable. Is that adjusted prior to shipping? Or is that something you can adjust with a knob? What's the
factory default? I wonder if the CS have the same adjustability and range.
Adjustable where ever you have a tank and the connector. Moton connector for changing pressure is $90.

Difference between CS and MS is in number of steps of adjustment not range of adjustment for compression and rebound. For gas, I believe they are identical; though I don't recall reading that.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions.

I don't have a rollbar, so I guess I'll have to find another place to put the rear external reservoirs.

In stock class autocross, you cannot adjust the ride height due to limitations on the spring perch location or something like that. So the only way to adjust the ride height, is by using lower static lifting force (meaning less gas pressure).

If the difference between the CS and MS is only the number of steps of adjustments; then why do they need to be serviced so much more frequently? I just wonder.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 PM

Mike, when you say Moton connector for N2, do you mean something like the Penske pressure guage with male and female schrader valve ends?

I guess I should first ask if the Moton reservoirs have Schrader valves.

Quick Reply: Want to buy moton shocks, where to get them?