S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Urge Flow Rear Rotors Track Tested

Old 03-15-2020 | 08:39 AM

Default Urge Flow Rear Rotors Track Tested

Hi all, just wanted to chime in with my personal experience with Urge Flow Rear Rotors. I went to Buttonwillow and tested the Urge Flow Rear Rotors back to back against the OEM rear rotors. First two sessions on OEM rear rotors and last two sessions or Urge Flow Rear rotors. Here are the results measured with an infrared thermometer at the rotor ring.

I found the difference in the rear rotor temperature pretty amazing! Although the front rotors didn't see as dramatic of a temperature drop I did see brake pad life improvements which I estimate at 50%. I run Project Mu Club Racers which measure in at 15.5mm new with a 5mm backing plate, leaving 9.5mm of usable friction material. After two track days I had only used 2.9mm of friction material.

Otherwise, I noticed a distinct improvement in the brake pedal feel after the first few hot laps. I no longer felt like the rear of the car was dancing around under heavy braking zones. I believe the consistent brake pedal feel contributed towards new personal bests at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill East. Overall, I'm very satisfied!

Full review here if you're interested:
The following 8 users liked this post by Soviet:
BattleRaT (01-09-2022), Bullwings (03-15-2020), freq (03-17-2020), j0oftheworld (03-15-2020), rip_ej1 (03-16-2020), Robbie C (03-19-2020), Zer0ne (03-18-2020), zze86 (03-21-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-15-2020 | 01:58 PM

Great info!

The difference on the rear temps are insane, really. Picked up the Urge rears a bit back as well as the Girodisc fronts, since the stockers were cracking. Really looking forward to testing that out.

What are your plans for the front? Cooling or?

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2020 | 03:30 PM
5 Year Member

Are you planning on doing a duct testing before and after then with Urge's now
Old 03-16-2020 | 03:34 PM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

May we assume the temps are F and not C?

-- Chuck
Old 03-16-2020 | 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jakob Boedenauer
Great info!

The difference on the rear temps are insane, really. Picked up the Urge rears a bit back as well as the Girodisc fronts, since the stockers were cracking. Really looking forward to testing that out.

What are your plans for the front? Cooling or?

Thanks for the info!
I have a set of aluminum hats for the fronts. Just need to order some rotor rings from Girodisc and I'll be in business. I should probably add ducting as well. I hope to do some testing either way.

Originally Posted by Live Fast
Are you planning on doing a duct testing before and after then with Urge's now
I was thinking about picking up the Baero kit. Should be pretty easy to do some back to back testing by blocking the ducting intake.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
May we assume the temps are F and not C?

-- Chuck
Yes. Freedom units
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (03-17-2020)
Old 03-18-2020 | 08:00 PM
15 Year Member

Thanks for the review. Great video; informative, straight and to the point, as always.
Old 03-19-2020 | 07:13 PM

I’m running urge rear setup and the Girodisc front rotors, it’s been a very successful setup for me at COTA and MSR Cresson 3.1, don’t have longevity data but my rear pads haven’t worn very much at all in the several track days I have on them.
Old 03-21-2020 | 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
I’m running urge rear setup and the Girodisc front rotors, it’s been a very successful setup for me at COTA and MSR Cresson 3.1, don’t have longevity data but my rear pads haven’t worn very much at all in the several track days I have on them.
Great to hear, that's the setup i'm about to throw on my car. Are you running cooling at all? Was going to see how it performs as is, adding cooling if necessary. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2020 | 09:56 AM

I’m not running any cooling, RBF 600 fluid was pretty cooked after two track weekends and some extremely aggressive backroads cruises.

Front pads wore slightly unevenly like inside vs outside but overall no issues or real brake fade felt. I also stand on the brakes hard and late and tend to come off early. So perhaps my driving style might affect all of the above.
Old 03-21-2020 | 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
I’m not running any cooling, RBF 600 fluid was pretty cooked after two track weekends and some extremely aggressive backroads cruises.

Front pads wore slightly unevenly like inside vs outside but overall no issues or real brake fade felt. I also stand on the brakes hard and late and tend to come off early. So perhaps my driving style might affect all of the above.
Thanks for that info. I'll try them as is and go from there. I do have some temp paint on there to see where we end up. Calipers are rebuilt, so hopefully that'll give a good benchmark.
Regarding fluid, i've pretty much switched to Castrol SRF exclusively, based on experiences i've had from my M3. So far so good! Hopefully it'll do the same on the S2k. You can snag it at FCP Euro for free returns if you want to give it a try. It's fairly popular though so they do sell out of it frequently, however they get it back in stock at a good pace.

Quick Reply: Urge Flow Rear Rotors Track Tested